Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Small Claims Court

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Not yet but I might have to soon- some idiot owes me a few grand, which he'll happily admit, he's just not so happy about paying it off...
  • Options
    Not sure if it is call a claim or not but I did sue my last employer because he fired me with no good reason and didn't pay my last month even so it was in the contract...
  • Options
    Not sure if it is call a claim or not but I did sue my last employer because he fired me with no good reason and didn't pay my last month even so it was in the contract...

did you go through the small claims court or not
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    did you go through the small claims court or not

don't know to be honest, when to a solicitor and he did take care of everything, the guy actually backed out before we went to court, so never went to court...
  • Options
    I'm in the process of having a claim go through after the seller of some books refused to provide a refund, despite the books being described in perfect condition and arriving in a loose box, marked and covered in pen (making them unusable for my exams, sadly).

You can file the claim online - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp, although the claim form (N1) is free to download, if you'd prefer to fill it out. The SCC (essentially your County Court, but on the small claims track - see http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm for more information) is designed for claims of up to £5000. Costs start at £30.00 and are on a sliding scale, depending on the claim amount, and self representation is encouraged to keep costs to a minimum (you would typically be unable to claim solicitors costs).

I haven't got as far as going to court, as it's quite early in the process - the forms will have been sent to the defendant, who will have 14 days from the date notice is served (i.e. when sent from the court to the defendant) to reply to my claim. He may agree to the claim, partly agree or disagree, putting it in non-legal terminology.

Take a peek at the above web sites - they provide a good explanation of the process.