Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug firms 'inventing diseases'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

Pharmaceutical firms are inventing diseases to sell more drugs, researchers have warned.
Disease-mongering promotes non-existent diseases and exaggerates mild problems to boost profits, the Public Library of Science Medicine reported.

Comments

• Options
    Story

Pharmaceutical firms are inventing diseases to sell more drugs, researchers have warned.
    Disease-mongering promotes non-existent diseases and exaggerates mild problems to boost profits, the Public Library of Science Medicine reported.
    would drug companies really need to do that?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:

Why wouldnt they do it if they can and it increases profits?
  • Options
    Why wouldnt they do it if they can and it increases profits?
    its a multi-billion pound industry,i just find it hard to believe they would risk this sort of bad p.r for the sake of a few extra quid.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:

If they want to make huge profits, then they would do it, although I question the need.

We see a lot of this, pharma is great at advertising and trying to show that any condition can be treated chemically - especially given the Govt push to treat conditions outside of hosppital. You'd be amazed how often I am told that by using more of medication X we will reduce hospital admissions.

The reality is a little different of course.
  • Options
    bit like the anti virus pc crowd then.
    prove you can make and spread a malicous virus and you'll get a job straight away with an antivirus firm.
    so ...all the manufacturers of anti virus software are full of virus writers ...keeps them in bizz and helps confuse the smaller firms who are always one step behind ...what am i on about ....yes right ...i can well believe drug companies behaving like this.
  • Options
    prove you can make and spread a malicous virus and you'll get a job straight away with an antivirus firm.
    so ...all the manufacturers of anti virus software are full of virus writers ...keeps them in bizz and helps confuse the smaller firms who are always one step behind ...what am i on about ....yes right ...i can well believe drug companies behaving like this.

Yep that how they do business... creating new virus so people get their products to be protected from that virus instead of using an other antivirus software...
  • Options
    i just wouldnt have thought there be any need for it.......i'll engauge conspiraloon mode and get back te ya :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    J wrote:
    Sounds like my schizophrenia. Overexagerated made up nonsense. Keeps the drug companies in business with an injection per person of over £140 per fortnight.
    Western medicine doens't have a clue how to deal with things like this. I bet a good bit of buhdist meditation would relieve most of my symptoms. Corective mental therapy too. I mean, just what is a delusion that's not a delusion you could have if you weren't ill? What's the difference?

... should probably talk to Klintock then!
  • Options
    Just compare the price of a branded drug like Nurofen with ordinary ibuprofen. Same drug, 10x the price. That's how they make their millions.

Irritable bowel syndrome is a case in point. So many over the counter remedies for a problem that is mind numbingly common, and usually treatable without medication.
  • Options
    Certainly, i have read a lot of about this sort of stuff. It provides population control and making a tidy profit is just the cherry on the cake. Once you pull back the thin veneer of respectability with which our masters shrowd themselves it's utterly shocking what goes on at the highest levels of business/government (not that you'd even need to make that distinction).

Modern government and corporate business is mafia without any code of decency.

Nothing they did would surprise me.
  • Options
    Take a set of symptoms, give the set of symptoms a name. create a drug for it (preferably one that needs te patient to take multiple doses of), hype up the symptoms, market your wonder drug.. ta da