Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How could you get 'a caution' for rape??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4894726.stm
The number of rapists given a caution and freed instead of facing jail terms has more than doubled in the past decade, Home Office figures reveal.
In 2004, 40 offenders were cautioned for rape - compared with 19 in 1994.

I mean, what kind of circumstances could possibly merit a caution? "Sorry, officer, I genuinely slipped on the wet pavement and fell on top of her, accidentally penetrating her"?

:rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Statutory rape?
  • Options
    Mmm... I see what you mean. I can see a few cases of statutory rape where perhaps a girl is 15 years 11 months old, lies about her age and gives full consent to a young man where perhaps a caution could be considered- though unless the woman looks extremely mature for her age, blokes should simply stay away from anyonoe who might just be under 16.

I wonder if the 40 cases in question were statutory rape or something else.
  • Options
    It says in that article that if the crime was old but the victim wanted it acknowledged without the need for a trial (and possible acquittal) then a caution might be considered, although obviously that would be a guilty plea in effect.
  • Options
    According to the radio this morning cautions have been used where a prosecution isn't likely - either due to learning difficulties or where the rapist has admitted the rape, but the victim won't cooperate in a prosecution.

They still go on the sex offenders register and I suppose the thinking is that's better than no punishement at all.
  • Options
    I am more confused today about the laws on consent than i was because i was listening to the radio and heard a spokewomen for the Government explain;

"It does not matter if the women in question is dominant or initiates sexual relations or is the aggressor sexually and it has nothing to do with whether or not the women stays 'stop' or 'no' as it is quite clear to every one that the new laws require either the women in question to say to the man 'i want to have sexual relations with you' or for the man to ask 'can we have sexual relations?' and the woman to respond 'yes' for it to not be rape. Any situation where those words are not spoken is rape no matter the circumstances."

Now, that is a very accurate quote to what i heard, and im sure that having to say those words would make consent very clear and obvious. But it cannot be the case that if those words are not said it is always rape can it?
  • Options
    If that is the case I'm a serial rapist with the same person :/.
  • Options
    If that is the case I'm a serial rapist with the same person :/.
    :lol: What a crock of shit. How many people do you know that have explicitly asked permission to shag someone?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I am more confused today about the laws on consent than i was because i was listening to the radio and heard a spokewomen for the Government explain;

"It does not matter if the women in question is dominant or initiates sexual relations or is the aggressor sexually and it has nothing to do with whether or not the women stays 'stop' or 'no' as it is quite clear to every one that the new laws require either the women in question to say to the man 'i want to have sexual relations with you' or for the man to ask 'can we have sexual relations?' and the woman to respond 'yes' for it to not be rape. Any situation where those words are not spoken is rape no matter the circumstances."

Now, that is a very accurate quote to what i heard, and im sure that having to say those words would make consent very clear and obvious. But it cannot be the case that if those words are not said it is always rape can it?

So just to make it clear when my better half is getting frisky in bed I need to check that the reasons she's [XXXX - I'm not sharing the details with you lot] is because she fancies sexual intercourse? Do I need her to put it in writing?

It seems to me the irony is that the more the Government reduces the rights of the defendants and puts the onus on them to show consent rather than on the prosecution to show it didn't the less likely the jury is to convict. Perhaps there's a lesson there...
  • Options

Ooooh! Feel the animal passion! :lol:
  • Options
    How long before packets of condoms include a duplicate consensual sex contract for both participants to sign? :D :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I got a caution there last week for pissing in public. The Cop thought I was having a wank initially :o
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Statutory rape?

No such thing.

Basically cautions are offered where there's little chance of conviction- basically if the woman was drunk, wearing sexy clothing, or enjoying herself socially in any way, shape or form.

As for the rest of the bollocks in this thread, for fuck's sake, you can tell the difference between wanting it and not. If she's moaning and saying "ride me big boy" she wants a boning; if she's passed out on the floor she probably doesn't.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No such thing.
    Forgive my ignorance. He's 16, she's 15. Both consent. Is that not statutory rape?
  • Options
    a slap on the wrist for rape is discusting....theres no excuse for it
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance. He's 16, she's 15. Both consent. Is that not statutory rape?

Nope, there's no such thing as statutory rape.

If you have sex with someone between the ages of 13 and 16 you are breaking the law by having consensual sex with a minor, but you are not a rapist, and the maximum tariff for that crime is three years.

If you have sex with someone under the age of twelve then you can still be having consensual sex, but children so young are not presumed to know what that consent means, so the maximum tariff is the same as for rape. But you're still not a rapist.
  • Options
    Is that an American thing then or has the law changed?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is that an American thing then or has the law changed?

It's always been like that.

The law was tightened up in 2003 so that the issue of consent became largely irrelevant when it came to having sex with a child under the age of 13. Until 2003 it was possible to argue that a five-year-old child has consented to sex.
  • Options
    I believe Statutory rape is purely an American term in the case of law. mainly because consent of age varies from State to State and it puts the onus on the man to know the particular state laws regarding sex.
  • Options
    Is this really now what the law says and requires, or just some guy's point of view? :confused:
    subject13 wrote:
    ...the new laws require either the women in question to say to the man 'i want to have sexual relations with you' or for the man to ask 'can we have sexual relations?' and the woman to respond 'yes' for it to not be rape. Any situation where those words are not spoken is rape no matter the circumstances."
  • Options
    carrot12 wrote:
    Is this really now what the law says and requires, or just some guy's point of view? :confused:

The law doesn't say that.

The law says that you must reasonably believe that the woman consented. So if the woman is passed out on the fucking floor you can't really say you reasonably believed she was saying yes.
  • Options
    This really is dangerous nonsense. I cannot understand why anyone would be let off with a caution in the case of rape. What happens - does a copper go to a rapist and say "look, you raped her, but that's alright, just don't do it again..."? No, it's not good enough. Rapists should be locked up, not just given a piece of paper telling them not to do it again.

It's even more ridicilous than the news this week that wife-beating scumbags could be let off if they say sorry for their activity. Aren't we supposed to be protecting men and women in this country? Why is the law increasingly given the impression to the contrary?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This really is dangerous nonsense. I cannot understand why anyone would be let off with a caution in the case of rape. What happens - does a copper go to a rapist and say "look, you raped her, but that's alright, just don't do it again..."? No, it's not good enough. Rapists should be locked up, not just given a piece of paper telling them not to do it again.

The thing is, if rapists were just given cautions all the time, then they'd probably carry on doing it, because they know that they can basically get away with it. (What I mean, they know they won't face a prison sentence)
    It's even more ridicilous than the news this week that wife-beating scumbags could be let off if they say sorry for their activity. Aren't we supposed to be protecting men and women in this country? Why is the law increasingly given the impression to the contrary?

Seems to me that the law is trying to protect the person who beat their partner up... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    The thing is, if rapists were just given cautions all the time, then they'd probably carry on doing it, because they know that they can basically get away with it. (What I mean, they know they won't face a prison sentence)

Seems to me that the law is trying to protect the person who beat their partner up... :rolleyes:
    We are always being told that prisons are nearly full. Why does no one in this government seem able to grasp that the answer is to build more prisons? The answer is, this useless Labour government is full of squidgy liberals who do not believe in prisons, and hate concepts such as discipline and punishment. But don't believe things would be any different under Cameron's Conservatives.

Oh, and whilst building more prisons, they could also make sure criminals actually serve their sentences by abolishing the Early Release Scheme. This dangerous nonsense is responsible for judges having to lie every time they pass sentence, for the judge knows the criminal will serve nowhere near the amount their sentence decrees they must.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This really is dangerous nonsense. I cannot understand why anyone would be let off with a caution in the case of rape.

Normally because they did it 30 years ago, and they're now 80 and bed-ridden.

Personally I think the fucks should die in the nick, but hey ho. Apparently we should be compassionate to rapists.
    It's even more ridicilous than the news this week that wife-beating scumbags could be let off if they say sorry for their activity.

That'd be because prosecuting people for it is pointless 9 times out of 10.

Even if the victims says they don't want to press charges, it is now policy to prosecute all cases of domestic violence. And if someone else witnessed it, well, even if the victim doesn't testify the perpetrator will be convicted.

All you do is drag someone to court, and the victim doesn't turn up. So either you waste court time- no witness, no conviction- or you convict someone against the wishes of the supposed victim.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    they could also make sure criminals actually serve their sentences by abolishing the Early Release Scheme.

:banghead:

Are you thick or something?

There is an early release scheme as a nice little incentive to make inmates behave whilst in prison. If you'd get out after x months regardless, why would you co-operate?

Also it helps with rehabilitation.
    This dangerous nonsense is responsible for judges having to lie every time they pass sentence, for the judge knows the criminal will serve nowhere near the amount their sentence decrees they must.

:banghead:

Yep, you are thick.

I shan't even bother to explain why your words are coming out of where the sun don't shine.
  • Options
    What i heard was a spokeswoman for the making of awareness of this law.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Normally because they did it 30 years ago, and they're now 80 and bed-ridden. Personally I think the fucks should die in the nick, but hey ho.
    At least we agree on something, then.