Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Renting a flat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I start my placement year in June in Leamington Spa and so I am looking at renting a flat/house in the area. It is a really expensive place to live and so I can't afford a one bedroomed flat (the average price is £600-£700 a month for a one-bedroomed flat). I have seen some really nice two bedroomed places for rent at around about £600 for both rooms so £300 each per month which is a good price and they lok like nice places. The problem is that I don't know anyone else moving to the area and I don't want to be stuck paying the full £600. How can I go about finding someone to share with. I don't want to spend money advertising on flatmate.co.uk and flatshare.com etc as I have been to look on those for other people looking for someone to fill a room, and it doesn't seem to work terribly well.

Anyone had this problem or used any websites to advertise?

Anyone moving to Leamingotn in June?!?

Comments

• Options
    When I accepted my placement the company sent out a list of other students they were taking on as placement students as well, so we could get in touch with each other and find people to live with. It might be worth your while seeing if the company you've got your placement with could do something similar for you as well.
  • Options
    Yeah, there is one other placement student but I have talked to her it but she is going to be living at home with her parents. The company have said that they have a contact but it is for a two-bedroomed place at £600 pcm, which I can't afford by myself.
  • Options
    Yeah, there is one other placement student but I have talked to her it but she is going to be living at home with her parents. The company have said that they have a contact but it is for a two-bedroomed place at £600 pcm, which I can't afford by myself.

I would suggest you keep on looking. You could contact estate agents directly and tell them what you are looking for. Maybe you could live a bus ride away so rent is cheaper. I had the same problem as you when I moved to a new area, I used websites like flatmate.co.uk to hunt for people to share with but decided it was too much hassle and just got my own place even though it was more expensive.
  • Options
    The website is irrevelent, but when I needed a place to stay and couldn't afford my own place, I looked online for people looking for roomates. It was a site for the lookers and the lookies. It was very great and I found quite a few different places all with great people. I would definatly reccomend something like that, as long as its a reputable place you're looking. I found quite a few different free websites to share roomate looking stuff, I bet if you looked and asked around there are plenty for that area also.
  • Options
    Thanks, I do keep looking but it just seems that they are all available now but with less than 9 weeks til I have to move in, I'm getting nervous in case I don't find anything. I don't like leaving things until the last minute so I would love to be able to sort a place for definite now. I Have put a free advert on a house/flat rental/sharing website for the area so maybe something will come of that. I have also decided to start looking a bit further out such as in coventry where there is more student accomodation so a bit cheaper but the problem is that they are normally four or more bedrooms. I have found a better roommate website now so I shall use that as well.

Thanks for the help and advice
  • Options
    Do they have a free weekly paper- like the Why? You could put an add in something like that...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Do they have a free weekly paper- like the Why? You could put an add in something like that...

:chin: Maybe, I'm not sure. Suppose they must have something. Might be worth a look into - thank you :thumb: