Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

please help i've been shafted by the taxman.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I just got my first pay cheque at the new job and it looks like I've been royally raped by the taxman, £433 to be precise i mean wtf thats more than the fricking rent! :shocking: ......I just want to know how I can work out what if anything I can claim back, it just can't be that much surely.......works out as £281.81 PAYE tax and £151.58 on NIC, my gross pay for the month was £1784 so I'm only taking £1351 home, ive just done the calculations and thats a whopping 24% of my wage, I do believe the basic bracket is 22% (which is obscene btw) so i guess it's not far off, but still I'm not letting the fuckers take anymore than they should out of principle, life's expensive enough esp in London........so can anyone help? I looked up their website and they have a general advice helpline which I'm gonna ring up and complain but want to get my facts straight first if poss (am I being back-taxed or something?)......cheers.

oh and another thing, i was under the impression that student loan repayments are deducted straight from the wage slip just like tax, but there's nothing on my slip about it so whats the deal with that?

Comments

• Options
    You cannont do anything about your NIC contibutions as they are fixed and seemed to be about right for your gross wage. Did you give your employer a P45 or filled P46? If you filled in the P45 then you should be on the right tax code. If you filled in a P46 you are most likley on an emergency rate tax code of 22%. As for the student loan deductiond, if you where not earning £15,000 a year in your last job you are only now eligable to pay and it may take the Inland Revenue a couple of months to enform your new employers.

If your are sure that they have over charged you ask to speak to the payroll department for claification.
  • Options
    Your deductions seem correct to me
  • Options
    thanks guys/girls, i just looked it up on this site and the deductions seem correct for the tax code on my payslip (489L), which after some hunting is the emergency tax code, which a friend told me is a higher rate of tax? i don't understand because I gave the company my p45 when i started, so is this their fault?
  • Options
    489L is not the emergency tax code - Is it?!?
  • Options
    Starting rate 10% up to £2,090
    Basic rate 22% from £2,091 to £32,400
    Higher rate 40% over £32,400
  • Options
    No it isnt. If on your payslip it says 489L x then it will be emergency basis, if theres no x then its correct. If it says BR your being taxed 22% on everything plus national insurance. check your payslip, If its wrong send your p60 in when its recieved to claim a repayment, theres no chance you'll get one through your wages as the tax years about to end. This sort of thing often happens when you change employers as they cant second guess what your correct code will be.
  • Options
    489L is not emergency rate, it's a proper tax code, basic allowance of 4895.

To be honest, it sounds about right. You generally do lose about 25%.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Starting rate 10% up to £2,090
    Basic rate 22% from £2,091 to £32,400
    Higher rate 40% over £32,400

its tax free up to £5,035 now i believe
    and then 10% up to £10,000
    and then basic rate above that

well it works out as an average, so if you earn a big pay packet in the first week, then you will get taxed as if they assume you will earn that amoutn every week, and the next week if you earn a lesser amoutn, then the amount you earn a week on average will lower, so you wil get taxed a little less, but thats in monetary terms, not percentge terms
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    489L is not emergency rate, it's a proper tax code, basic allowance of 4895.

hmm well not according to this site......i dunno it's all very confusing, so the NIC is on top of the 22% and not part of it? if so then it makes sense, i swear my NIC wasnt nearly that high in my old job though, and i wasn't getting paid much less......
  • Options
    hmm well not according to this site......i dunno it's all very confusing, so the NIC is on top of the 22% and not part of it? if so then it makes sense, i swear my NIC wasnt nearly that high in my old job though, and i wasn't getting paid much less......

That is what an employer will put you on if you have not given them the P45 - It is also the standard tax code.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    That is what an employer will put you on if you have not given them the P45 - It is also the standard tax code.

lol great thinking from the inland revenue, have the same code for standard tax and emergency tax? is that what your saying......

thanks for all the quick replies btw chaps. :thumb:
  • Options
    You earn pretty much the same as me and my tax code and deductions arre pretty much in line with yours - it sux though but in general you have to expect to loose about 25%.
  • Options
    You haven't lost 25% at all. Your employer is paying all kinds of money to the parasites "for you" that you will never even see.
  • Options
    Just looked at my pay slip...my earnings and deductions are about the same as yours, and have been since i started about 2 years ago. Unfortunately thats the way it is....you will lose a lot in your contributions each month :yeees:
  • Options
    All emergency tax does is assume that you have your full tax-free entitlement still to spend, and taxes you accordingly. The bands at 10%, 22% and 40% still apply AFAIK.

Your tax deductions are about right, you lose about 25% of your wage in tax.
  • Options
    okay it's just a bitter pill to swallow, that's effectively 25% of my life that they own, and that's before all the other fucking tax like council tax, import tax export tax tax on booze tax on fags tax on petrol inheritance tax road tax capital gains tax.....it just never stops, get your hands out my pocket already you thieving bastards......i liked it better when everything was cash in hand, those were the days.....
  • Options
    Hospitals and schools cost money.

So do MPs pensions...
  • Options
    MPs more like money pinching meddling pricks argghhh i really have lost it tonight i do apologise.
  • Options
    okay it's just a bitter pill to swallow, that's effectively 25% of my life that they own, and that's before all the other fucking tax like council tax, import tax export tax tax on booze tax on fags tax on petrol inheritance tax road tax capital gains tax.....it just never stops, get your hands out my pocket already you thieving bastards......i liked it better when everything was cash in hand, those were the days.....

If you dont like the price of fags - dont smoke

And how often were you planning on paying capital gains or inheritance tax?

I'd agree, its not always easy to see a good 1/3 of your wages disapear.
  • Options
    okay it's just a bitter pill to swallow, that's effectively 25% of my life that they own

It happens to us all - get on with it!
  • Options
    That's right people, you can't decide what to spend your money on, you need a politician to spend it for you.

I feel rather sick at the sad acceptance of theft I see here. :yuck:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    That's right people, you can't decide what to spend your money on, you need a politician to spend it for you.

I just do not see the point of moaning about something that happens to everyone. I would rather accept it and get on with my life rather than trying to challenge everything - but that is me! :)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Some of us are the theives and liars you so hate, so its not really even our money in the first place.
  • Options
    Some of us are the theives and liars you so hate, so its not really even our money in the first place.

It's not hate mate, it's pity/despising such people usually.

Can't get a job people actually are willing to voluntarily pay for or sokmething?
  • Options
    It's not like you have the money and then someone takes it back, it was never really in your hands, just the same as for everyone.

No, it was definitely taken from your wages.
    I guess it's a bit like a 50% off sale that is always on, the original figure without deduction becomes meaningless really and you just look at the final figure.

No, it's exactly like getting mugged.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It's not hate mate, it's pity/despising such people usually.

Such a charmer.
    Can't get a job people actually are willing to voluntarily pay for or sokmething?

:confused:

Who's really willing to pay anything for anything?
  • Options
    Such a charmer.

/bow
    Who's really willing to pay anything for anything?

If you can get the state to steal it for you? Not many people obviously.

Look at it this way. You fancy some potatoes, you go to the shop, you buy the potatoes and then take them home. This is a voluntary transaction.

Taxation is someone buying some potatoes whether you want them or not and using a gun to get you to pay for them.

Which is better?
  • Options
    If you really dont like it why not try another country? perhaps Yemen?
  • Options
    If you really dont like it why not try another country? perhaps Yemen?

If you can provide some evidence of the existence of countries, I will happily do that. Best of luck........