Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Excuse me, but...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just purchased a brand new video game - Oblivion. I always encounter problems with the graphics with my computer. However, I don't know why, as my computer is very new. HP something.

Video drivers... I have noticed that my video driver sucks, basically. There's this website where you can download video drivers, but how do I determine which one to select?

I'm just so pissed. £40 and the mouse hacks a lot.

So, anyone know which video driver I should get?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well. WRONG FORUM. NET AND TECH. OK?

And it helps if you tell us what your GFX card is (if it is onboard, well, dont expect results). Use device manager, under my computer properties - device manager - video adapter.

That should tell ya.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Wrong Forum
  • Options
    For someone usually so pernickity about forum rules....WRONG FORUM!
  • Options
    I needed a quick reply.

Addict - JsT already enlightened me. OK? Your post = unnecessary.

I have noted that loads of people post here to get fast replies. I'm really frustrated and anxious about this, and was just asking for help. What do you want me to do? Post in the tech forum and wait a day, like?

As usual, shit advice is given.

Why am I not surprised?
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    I needed a quick reply.

Addict - JsT already enlightened me. OK? Your post = unnecessary.

I have noted that loads of people post here to get fast replies. I'm really frustrated and anxious about this, and was just asking for help. What do you want me to do? Post in the tech forum and wait a day, like?

As usual, shit advice is given.

Why am I not surprised?

FUCKS SAKE IGNORE ME?

How can I tell you what fucking drivers to get if I don't know what GFX card you have? Ffs.
  • Options
    People that post "for a quick reply" always get told that its in the wrong forum.

Betcha if you would have put it in the net forum you would have gotten a fairly quick reply stating something other than that it is in the wrong place.

And if you expected "shit advice" why ask for it here in the first place?
    You get what you expect then you WHINE.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    FUCKS SAKE IGNORE ME?

How can I tell you what fucking drivers to get if I don't know what GFX card you have? Ffs.

I.. oh, sorry for posting. I just don't know anything about computers... and the like. I just wanted friendly advice. Also, not to moan, I've had a shit day and this just blew it all. I just can't cope with it anymore.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    I.. oh, sorry for posting. I just don't know anything about computers... and the like. I just wanted friendly advice. Also, not to moan, I've had a shit day and this just blew it all. I just can't cope with it anymore.

Well lets move it to net and tech, eh?

Then follow teh advice - right click on my computer, properties, device manager, under "video adapter". Tell me what it says.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    People that post "for a quick reply" always get told that its in the wrong forum.

Betcha if you would have put it in the net forum you would have gotten a fairly quick reply stating something other than that it is in the wrong place.

And if you expected "shit advice" why ask for it here in the first place?
    You get what you expect then you WHINE.

:heart:

Also, you did get a quick reply. Just not of the kind you wanted. Its not like its actually urgent, is it? If it were something serious and urgent, people wouldn't be so harsh.
  • Options
    Jesus wept.

Yeah it's in the wrong forum but there's no need for out and out dickheadedness. Fair enough if you say "wrong forum" then at least try to help but just heaping abuse.........it's just not cricket people.
  • Options
    god i love this place!
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Jesus wept.

Yeah it's in the wrong forum but there's no need for out and out dickheadedness. Fair enough if you say "wrong forum" then at least try to help but just heaping abuse.........it's just not cricket people.

I'm never pernickity about these things, but when someone who hassles others so much for these things does exactly that which he condemns, then they need told.

He used to have the good manners guide in his sig ffs.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well lets move it to net and tech, eh?

Then follow teh advice - right click on my computer, properties, device manager, under "video adapter". Tell me what it says.

Ah, I just give up. My PCs in Swedish, and the only thing I know is that my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Just downloaded a new video driver (friend told me to get this) and tried playing the game, but it was really shitty - absolutely impossible to move around...strange, because I don't see any major problem with my PC... ah... whatever.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I'm never pernickity about these things, but when someone who hassles others so much for these things does exactly that which he condemns, then they need told.

He used to have the good manners guide in his sig ffs.

Seriously? Well, fair enough but I still think it only takes one person to call him on it.

Quarfly, Oblivion is fucking monstrous in it's requirements and I don't think it'll be particularly playable with that graphics card. Sorry.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Seriously? Well, fair enough but I still think it only takes one person to call him on it.

Quarfly, Oblivion is fucking monstrous in it's requirements and I don't think it'll be particularly playable with that graphics card. Sorry.

then i'll buy a new one. I probably need it.

So, you're saying I wasted my money? All the computer games are becoming so requiring that the computers won't work anymore.. this is just depressing...

thanks anyway for the advice.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    So, you're saying I wasted my money?

It depends, on whether you're going to buy a new graphics card or not. If you're not then......yeah probably. But if you're going to upgrade soon, then no.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    quarfly wrote:
    Why am I not surprised?

Cause you're an idiot.

Oops, reported.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500.

Go here and download/install this driver
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Ah, I just give up. My PCs in Swedish, and the only thing I know is that my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Just downloaded a new video driver (friend told me to get this) and tried playing the game, but it was really shitty - absolutely impossible to move around...strange, because I don't see any major problem with my PC... ah... whatever.

What game is it?

Your card is a few generations old. Newer games may have to have settings turned right down, or may not play at all.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    What game is it?

Your card is a few generations old. Newer games may have to have settings turned right down, or may not play at all.

Oblivion - started a new thread about what kind of graphics card I should get.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Oblivion - started a new thread about what kind of graphics card I should get.

Ok. There is also lots of info on the hardware issues forum on the elderscrolls site.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Ok. There is also lots of info on the hardware issues forum on the elderscrolls site.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/

There's an article about just my graphics card! Have been following their instructions, but kind of messed it up and did it all in the wrong folder. :p

Re-installing it now.

Useful link, thanks. :)