Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dealing with guilt

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whether or not it's deserved, I feel like absolute shit and my chest feels like it's about to explode. How do you lot deal with feeling guilty?

I guess the obvious answer is that if you deserve it then you should just deal with it, because it's your own fault...but I'm not sure if I do deserve it or not. I definitely know I didn't mean it to happen the way they have interpreted it, and it wasn't intentional.

What would you do if you felt so guilty like this?

Comments

• Options
    i feel so guilty like this and alli can do is live with it. talking about it doesnt work, i think it makes it worse....all i can suggest is time.
  • Options
    Well, when I feel guilty deservedly, after asking fo apologies I do something to make it up to whoever I harmed.
  • Options
    If you feel guilty the chances are you don't deserve any sympathy. If you feel guitly you have done something wrong and therefore deserve to feel bad for a bit
  • Options
    I never felt guilt unless I did something really horrible and even then my guilt doesn't affect me much. I used to felt in more in my past, but frankly there is no point in guilt...
  • Options
    I tend forget it because it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    I'm feeling really guilty right now, too because I just broke up with my boyfriend and he didn't take it very well :( I find the best way to get rid of that feeling in your chest is to have a good cry, let it all out, then move on.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Whether or not it's deserved, I feel like absolute shit and my chest feels like it's about to explode. How do you lot deal with feeling guilty?

Hey, this is a really tough one as it sounds like you are aware.

Unfortunately dealing with guilt is quite a long process, I guess part of it is admitting to ourselves why we did the actions that have made us feel guilty, understanding how our mistakes can make us stronger and realising that the fact that we feel guilty shows that we are human - This might sound strange, but if you didn't feel guilty about something bad you had done, then there would be much bigger trouble.

Someone has said that talking doesn't help - but actually I think that if you find the right person then it can - someone who isn't going to judge you, or someone who might have made mistakes themselves and has come out the other end.

I came across this blog about standing up to guilt there's not much practical info here - but I think the angle is very positive.
  • Options
    Definately if you feel that bad try and do something nice for them. Thats all you can do. Then learn from your mistake and move on.
  • Options
    If you feel guilty the chances are you don't deserve any sympathy. If you feel guitly you have done something wrong and therefore deserve to feel bad for a bit

Not in all situations...

As someone said above, they are feeling guilty for hurting there ex by splitting up with them...
    If she was unhappy in the relationship then she did nothing wrong by ending it, but she is bound to feel guilty for hurting him.

She does not deserve to feel guilty though!
  • Options
    I thought that said dealing with quilt...*ahem*

I agree with what other people are saying.
    Grovel a bit and see if there's anything you can do to make it right then deal with it.
    Unless it's a situation like above, sometimes you just have to look out for #1, no matter who it's going to hurt.

Sorry but it's hard to say without knowing the situation.