Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Attention to all of you, especially the ones who like to slag each other off

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/story/0,,1737445,00.html
[Michael Keith-Smith] said he was moved to sue after a woman with whom he was debating the merits of military action in Iraq began a campaign of name-calling that started by describing him as "lard brain" and culminated in falsely labelling him a "Nazi", a "racist bigot" and a "nonce".

Tracy Williams, a college lecturer from Oldham, was ordered by a high court judge to pay £10,000 in damages, as well as Mr Keith-Smith's £7,200 costs, and told never to repeat the allegations.

watch what you say on the boards.... you never know when you might get pulled up for it. Restriction of freedom of speech or protection of someones character?

Comments

• Options
    Fun. :D
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Fun. :D

I suppose if you were clever about it and knew how to wind people up then you could get a mountain of lawsuits and make a living out of it. :chin:
  • Options
    I suppose if you were clever about it and knew how to wind people up then you could get a mountain of lawsuits and make a living out of it. :chin:

Oh fuck off. :D
  • Options
    It might mean Blagsta actually having to be nice to someone. :p

Well, no one's labelled anyone else a "Nazi" on these boards, as far as I know. Remember when Lukesh branded a few people on the boards as "child molesters"? Look what happened to him.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It might mean Blagsta actually having to be nice to someone. :p

Well, no one's labelled anyone else a "Nazi" on these boards, as far as I know. Remember when Lukesh branded a few people on the boards as "child molesters"? Look what happened to him.
    what happened to him?
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    what happened to him?
    Back in February 2005, he was banned. He started a thread about abortions, where he claimed some women enjoyed having them and competed to see who could get the most. That was outlandish, but after being told off by the mods, he went absolutely hysterical, attacking everyone, in particular Kermit. They tried asking him why he had those views, he resorted by effectively slandering some people. I'll tell you more privately.
  • Options
    Sounds like a troll who got too caught up in his act.
  • Options
    dom was called a nazi by the register i believe.

I cant remember though. :)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Back in February 2005, he was banned. He started a thread about abortions, where he claimed some women enjoyed having them and competed to see who could get the most. That was outlandish, but after being told off by the mods, he went absolutely hysterical, attacking everyone, in particular Kermit. They tried asking him why he had those views, he resorted by effectively slandering some people. I'll tell you more privately.
    You've got such a good memory.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    You've got such a good memory.
    Why, thank you. And now, the relaunch of the P&D boards. We are all officially, from now on, nice. Nice, lovely people having nice, lovely conversations. Blagsta and Klintock shall now talk about the merits of money whilst having a thoroughly good game of tennis. Meantime, witness me and Aladdin talking about the Iraq war and that cuddly, nice George Bush and the lovable Tony Blair as we eat tea and biscuits...

Bleurgh, this doesn't feel right. :p
  • Options
    And then I invite the FC Dot Army here, to make the place more "fun".

Just to be contrary.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    And then I invite the FC Dot Army here, to make the place more "fun". Just to be contrary.
    In accordance with the new rules;
    - Every debate from now on will finish with a group hug, or group orgy. The decision on which is to be taken in a majority vote. :p
  • Options
    I never ratified this treaty.

Cain,
    North Korea of the Internet.
  • Options
    Best hope neither Dubya nor Tony frequent these forums (or any other forums at all) or a lot of us are going to be in trouble :D

Unless of course we can prove in court that they really are a pair of 'see you next tuesdays'
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Best hope neither Dubya nor Tony frequent these forums (or any other forums at all) or a lot of us are going to be in trouble :D
    I'd just like to point out at this stage that both me and Aladdin think that Mr Blair and Mr Bush are the best leaders the world has ever seen and that their farts don't stink. :p
  • Options
    I have manufactured links of mass destruction and am withdrawing indefinitly from inter-poster peace talks.

In response to stargalaxy's sickening lack of hostile policy toward anyone, I have hosted goatse and tubgirl pics for self-defense.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    In response to stargalaxy's sickening lack of hostile policy toward anyone, I have hosted goatse and tubgirl pics for self-defense.
    I meantime am running after Cain trying to give him a hug and to persuade him that everyone in the world is absolutely wonderful in every possible way.
  • Options
    *Fires a link over Japan*
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    *Fires a link over Japan*
    ***tries to remain patient with the lovely, ever so cuddly and nice Cain*** :p
  • Options
    klint ...
    your the kind a guy who likes to make a wedge for doing as little possible ...
    i sue you ...for as much as possible ...we split the winnings?
  • Options
    your the kind a guy who likes to make a wedge for doing as little possible ...

That's me alright. :D
    i sue you ...for as much as possible ...we split the winnings?

I don't think what I would pay a court in would make you very happy mate. :D
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    That's me alright. :D

I don't think what I would pay a court in would make you very happy mate. :D
    try me ...
  • Options
    Probably a default clause.

Or we could play the "what, factually, is a pound?" game.

Or a promisory note, or a debenture or something else.
  • Options
    LOL, interesting logic ya got, Rolly. Surely if you are expecting the winnings to be paid by klint, you might as well just sue for half the amount you plan rather than "as much as possible". In that way you just keep whatever you get lol.

Although since winnings probably also don't exist it would be a wash regardless of the verdict. ;)
  • Options
    Dear Clandestine, please accept this with my compliments.

I, Klintock, promise to pay Clandestine upon demand the sum of $15,000,000, the very second that the wonderful people in "the government" can settle on what is actually promised by a federal reserve note.

If you would like paying in English pounds the same logic applies.
  • Options
    alladdin4bv.gif
    klintock wrote:
    Probably a default clause.

Or we could play the "what, factually, is a pound?" game.

Or a promisory note, or a debenture or something else.
    hey we're talking farsands here mate.

we take the paper ...turn it into clocks and cabinets and stuff ... alladdin4bv.gif aladdin will put us right.
  • Options
    Everyone being nice to each other - this doesn't feel right, does it?
  • Options
    LOL, interesting logic ya got, Rolly. Surely if you are expecting the winnings to be paid by klint, you might as well just sue for half the amount you plan rather than "as much as possible". In that way you just keep whatever you get lol.

Although since winnings probably also don't exist it would be a wash regardless of the verdict. ;)
    he looses ...he'll have to pay the costs.
    we split evrything else ...klints made some money ...i made a bit more ...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Cain wrote:
    Sounds like a troll who got too caught up in his act.

He was idiot for sure and deserved to go, but there were a few regs on this site who must have come close to being banned after the appalling way they treated him.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Everyone being nice to each other - this doesn't feel right, does it?
    i think SG ...the bit you often miss is the piss taking and the anger ...is all part of the banter.
    i have an enormous ammount of respect for a lot of posters.