Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Help!-flatmate blues!..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay apologies for this being so long!bt there's a lot of explaining to do!

I'm a little confused as to what I should do about my accomodation next year at uni. I've been living with my current flatmate for almost two years now, and although she's usually the opposite of me-personality wise- we usually we get along fine. The thing is she love to gossip, not just abt me, abt everyone...as in..not just harmless 'fun' gossip...let me explain...

my parents have been seperated for abt three years now,bt i haven't told most ppl abt it bcos we went through pretty rough times for abt 10 years or so and i'm still recovering from it all..so i dont like ppl asking me questions, so i dont mention that they're seperated.
a couple of months ago it so happened that my flatmates dad n my dad got acquainted through a business meeting, and they went fro drinks afterwards and my dad had just mentioned that my parents were seperated. my flatmate didn't mention any of this to me. one day she just 'casually' mentioned that we should all have a dinner out when we go home - and invite our parents as well! this struck me as being odd....i mean, who says that? -let's go for dinner - oh yeah for added fun let's take our parents too! :eek2:-
i personally think she should've minded her own business..she asked me recently again how often my parents were together n such and she kept on commenting abt how difficult it must be for my 'poor mom'.(she knows that my dad travels a lot in his job)

anyways i found out that she's being tlaking abt this with another girl (let's call her M)that we both hang out with- and complaining abt me when she gets annoyed with me, and the funny thing is she tlaks behind M's back with me when she gets annoyed with M!

yesterday i just happened to mention a psycho girl in my school who gave me a lot of trouble a looong time ago...as it so happened this psycho girl moved to M's school during her ALs n my flatmate was like ''oooh M must be knowing her'' like she wanted to go dig up more dirt!

i'm supposed to move in with my current flatmate and M next year, but I really don't want to.but i dont have anyone else to move in with, and i'm pretty scared to move in with people i hardly know. what should i do? bite the bullet n stay with these two? or be brave n just get new flatmates and hope that they're much nicer?

Comments

• Options
    well what do you have to lose living with the 2 new people? you might meet 2 people that become lifelong friends. the other girl sounds like a right bitch, they can't be worse than her.
  • Options
    Im too lazy to read through all that but if there nobody you know that you want to move in with, why not search around ads for people who have spare rooms? There will be *loads*...trust me!

Thats what i did, i moved in with 3 people i had never met before but it worked out fine, and i can keep my course friends seperate, im with them in lectures all the time anyway so its a welcome break to come home to 3 different people and we all get on really well

i'd highly reccomend it! great oppurtunity to meet new people
  • Options
    if you really dont want to move in with them then i suggest new flatmates :)

i have 3 close friends here at uni - 2 of which are moving in together, which leaves me with another.
    we didnt particularly want to be on our own in a house, so we have arranged to go into a 6 bedroom house - so basically we are moving in with 4 randoms. i guess in my case its a bit better because im with someone i know, but really i think its quite exciting!

will make 4 new friends and hopefully eveything will be fine!!
    just think of the positive aspects about moving in with new people. its better than moving in with people you KNOW youre going to get annoyed with/by etc
  • Options
    this is the 4th yesr that i have lived with people that i dont know,

in my first year i moved into a flat in halls and was the only person to finish the year, The two people that i got on with really well off my course were local so i had noone to move in with so i replied to an ad for a large individual rent house and ended up lving there with 19 other people and it was a right laugh, one of the best experiances of my life.

the problem being that everyone was a final year so i thort sod it il just stay here and see who moves in and once again fell on my feet (other than 1 wierdo - but 1 out of 43 so far aint bad) however once again everyone was a final year

(you will find that with moving in with people that dont know each other - quite often they are people that have done placement years when their friends havnt)

this year i decided to move out to a town center shared flat (why oh why) once again its ok, i get on with everyone but im not best mates with them, probably just aswell as im in final year. The only problem being the noise and that im living in something optemistically refered to as a match box (but anyway what did i expect with town center living)

there was a point to my life story. it can and does work out living with people you dont know, why dont you give it a chance? im sure they cant annoy you any more than you know your mates would and its a chance to meet loads of new people. I would advise the bigger the house the better as you have less chance of ending up with two friends that are going to exclude you.