Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How can I help my friend?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
She's just lost someone very close to her. Not a relative but a very close friend who she used to help at home because this lady was old and couldn't get out much. Her friend had been in hospital but she had seemed to be getting better and then last night she passed away quite suddenly. My friend and her mum were close to this lady and recently her mum has lost several close friends.

My friend feels guilty because she doesn't know what to do or say to her mum, but things are complicated more because my friend's mum is quite seriously ill as well and because she's in a wheelchair she finds it difficult to get out.

My friend also feels guilty because next year she'll be going to University and leaving her mum on her own. I want to help my friend but I don't know where to start. I wrote her a letter saying how sorry I was and I rang her earlier and we talked about this lady, and my friend was really upset telling me about all the things her friend had been looking forward to, such as her own daughter's wedding, and my friend kept telling me how she would say that she didn't mind going as long as she could hold on until the wedding but she didn't make it.

My friends never had someone close to her die and I haven't either I don't know how to make things better at all but I think things are complicated more by the fact her mum's ill as well and she's worried about what might happen to her.

If you could help me at all in any way that would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All I can say is firstly, you sound like a very good friend and you've been doing all the right things. Secondly, just make sure that your friend knows full well that you are there for her whenever she feels down/wants to talk.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    All I can say is firstly, you sound like a very good friend and you've been doing all the right things. Secondly, just make sure that your friend knows full well that you are there for her whenever she feels down/wants to talk.

:yes: It sounds like you're just the kind of friend she needs right now.

TheSite has an article dealing with death which might help you understand what you're friend is going through right now and includes a section on helping a friend who has lost someone. Friends in need also include some sound advice relating to helping a friend in a crisis.

You might also want to mention Cruse to your friend - or even talk to them yourself if you feel it might help you to support her.

I hope this helps - take care ;)