Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

France up in flames over new job laws

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    klintock's disdain of book learning in favour of "real life" (whatever he means by that :eek: ) leads him to these bizarre statements.

I'd be a little over-confident about my beliefs too if I thought all the trees were on my side.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    No, I made a statement I am certain is factual. Some facts for any argument against would be good.

Do cells store energy or resources for later?

Yes.

Is capital the storing of energy or resources for later?

Yes.

Some fault with this would be great.

How about

- cells are not greedy and store only a small and reasonable amount of energy/resources for later use. Cells also work as a group and do not cannibalise other cells and rob them of their energy

- whereas capitalism embraces limitless greed and advocates amassing as much resources as possible, often many hundreds if not thousands of times greater amount that what would be needed for a lifetime. Capitalism is also by nature a deeply unfair system that feeds off the disadvantaged to supply the rich.

So there you have it: your nature/capitalism analogy couldn't be more off the mark if you tried.
  • Options
    klintock is comparing biology to capitalism now? :eek: He gets madder by the day. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I'd be a little over-confident about my beliefs too if I thought all the trees were on my side.

"I talked to the trees so they put me awaaaayy!"
    - cells are not greedy and store only a small and reasonable amount of energy/resources for later use. Cells also work as a group and do not cannibalise other cells and rob them of their energy

Some cells do, they are called cancer cells. Some organisms live on the backs of others. In political terms these would be called "the state" or any other bunch of thieves that produce nothing and only consume.
    - whereas capitalism embraces limitless greed and advocates amassing as much resources as possible, often many hundreds if not thousands of times greater amount that what would be needed for a lifetime. Capitalism is also by nature a deeply unfair system that feeds off the disadvantaged to supply the rich.

No, that's staitism. Capitalism isn't concerned with acquiring ever larger amounts of capital, it's about filling needs. Could you explain to me how one person having loads mean that you have less?

If I bake a cake in the kitchen while you are upstaris reading, how have I robbed you?

The only way I could possibly rob you would be if I came downstairs and took your cake off you by force. In our "soceity" there is only one group allowed to use force - "the state". it follows therefore that any problem you have with the current system must be originating from "the state."
    So there you have it: your nature/capitalism analogy couldn't be more off the mark if you tried.

invective isn't fact, do try and keep up.
    klintock is comparing biology to capitalism now? :eek:

I'll endeavour to be less original in future, I know it hurts your head if you have to actually think without getting the library card out.
  • Options
    Could you explain to me how one person having loads mean that you have less?

Gee, klint, for one who presents himself as so rational this shouldn't be hard to figure out. It's called a "finite" system. Since we arent each equipped with our own printing presses to churn out legal tender, those who amass and horde ever increasing amounts unto themselves (and this is empirical fact) preclude ever greater numbers from their socially just share.

Capitalism has always been a zero sum game of exploitation, all utopian dream theories about it aside. Statism and any economic theory have always been intrisically linked. Arguing it outside that actual context is just another pipedream.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Some cells do, they are called cancer cells. Some organisms live on the backs of others.
    So bad guys and parasites. Just like greedy capitalists. :)
    No, that's staitism. Capitalism isn't concerned with acquiring ever larger amounts of capital, it's about filling needs.
    Of course. It's perfectly understandable why someone would have the 'need' to amass a fortune of £100m. Basic fundamental need, that. Well worth fucking the workers of your company empire over by paying them shit wages. Never mind about their basic need to eat and sustain their families in the most basic of standards.
  • Options
    Gee, klint, for one who presents himself as so rational this shouldn't be hard to figure out. It's called a "finite" system. Since we arent each equipped with our own printing presses to churn out legal tender, those who amass and horde ever increasing amounts unto themselves (and this is empirical fact) preclude ever greater numbers from their socially just share.

A single "have to use" currency is only possible through state violence. Capitalism has competition between differing types of money.

There is no finite or upper limit to the ways in which the resources of the world can be usefully employed by man. Not only can you not add to the total sum of real stuff, you cannot take it away either. You can only change it's form.

As for being rational, I admit I get ever such a lot wrong. I always change my mind the second I get new evidence.
    Capitalism has always been a zero sum game of exploitation, all utopian dream theories about it aside. Statism and any economic theory have always been intrisically linked. Arguing it outside that actual context is just another pipedream.

Oh dear. How do you know how to get to a place you have never been again?

Economic "theory" is only enforcable through violent action, otherwise it's just capitalism. You need an awful lot of soldiers to turn productive people who are content to be left alone into taxpayers.

I agree the theory of economics is a total joke when there are men with firearms doing things at whim and will.
    Of course. It's perfectly understandable why someone would have the 'need' to amass a fortune of £100m. Basic fundamental need, that. Well worth fucking the workers of your company empire over by paying them shit wages. Never mind about their basic need to eat and sustain their families in the most basic of standards.

Annnd you can get people to voluntarily agree to this, can you?

Orrrrr is it just another consequence of having people like yourself willing to trade a decent life for Eastenders and other trinkets?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Annnd you can get people to voluntarily agree to this, can you?
    What options do people have? Other than putting the CEO against a wall, having him shot, and redistributing his ill-gained fortune fairly amonst the workers?

Something, some would say, that is not such a crazy idea after all.
  • Options
    What options do people have? Other than putting the CEO against a wall, having him shot, and redistributing his ill-gained fortune fairly amonst the workers?

What stops them from just turning in on Monday and saying to him, we don't particularly reckon our current partnership is very fair so we are setting up over the road, cya?

What keeps artificial monopolies and implements rules regulations and licences?

Oooooh that's right, it's the government. And you keep defending the fucking thing.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What stops them from just turning in on Monday and saying to him, we don't particularly reckon our current partnership is very fair so we are setting up over the road, cya?

What keeps artificial monopolies and implements rules regulations and licences?

Oooooh that's right, it's the government. And you keep defending the fucking thing.
    The government is not stopping the CEO from giving employees a decent wage, is it?
  • Options
    The government is not stopping the CEO from giving employees a decent wage, is it?

Why the fuck would he?

He can kick back a fraction of that cash to some grasping bureaucrat and he'll make sure his little army of police protect the inequality. Or he can make "party donations" to the most likely party to hit office. Even better for the CEO, it's now in the interests of the government to keep the wage inequality.

And so they do.

You seem to think government is going to come along on a white charger and sort things out. Jesus.
  • Options
    I must say, even if I dont always agree, Klintock does come up with some interesting economics ideas. I'm guessing you tend to anarcho-capitalism/libertarianism?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Why the fuck would he?
    Because he might have a trace of a conscience in him and sees himself decent human being instead of a selfish pig?
  • Options
    I must say, even if I dont always agree, Klintock does come up with some interesting economics ideas. I'm guessing you tend to anarcho-capitalism/libertarianism?

I do indeed. I prefer systems built on corruption rather than ones that hope t won't crop up.
    Because he might have a trace of a conscience in him and sees himself decent human being instead of a selfish pig?

Is that ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER going to happen?

No, is it fuck. If you are waiting for the people at the top of a system based on violent coercion to grow some backbone and morality, I am afraid I have to inform you that it's a long wait for a train that's not coming.

Consciences are for you lot down at the bottom Al, so you are easy to manage. It's the old "elephant leg" syndrome and the reason they are so eager to provide your schooling.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I do indeed. I prefer systems built on corruption rather than ones that hope t won't crop up.

I thought that may be the case. :cool: Always best to check though. Its not an area I know too much about, but I'm looking into it. I suspect the future is tending to that direction.
  • Options
    Well, it's the maddest, least popular option........ what else could I pick?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    So bad guys and parasites. Just like greedy capitalists. :)

Yep. One of the defining features of capitalism is that accumulation of money is an end in itself rather than gaining commodities for their actual use.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:

Anarcho-capitalism being a contradiction. Anarchists are against all forms of exploitation, power and hierarchy. Capitalism is based on exploitation, power and hierarchy. Anarchists reject the idea of private property, i.e. the ownership of resources and land by a minority (Proudhon - "property is theft"). Capitalism is based on the very existence of private property.
    See here for a further explanation
    http://www.infoshop.org/faq/secFint.html
  • Options
    Anarcho-capitalism being a contradiction. Anarchists are against all forms of exploitation, power and hierarchy. Capitalism is based on exploitation, power and hierarchy. Anarchists reject the idea of private property, i.e. the ownership of resources and land by a minority (Proudhon - "property is theft"). Capitalism is based on the very existence of private property.

So much wrong....sigh...

Anarchists are against all forms of exploitation. Errrm nope. We are in favour of mutual "exploitation." Also known as trade or voluntary relationships.

You can reject the idea of private property if you like, but it's not actually possible to work in any other way in that place I like to call the real world. Capitalism also doesn't of neccessity require ownership of resopurces and land by a minority, in fact it's impossible unless you have men with guns to enforce it.

"Property is theft" sounds great but it's meaningless drivel.

Private property is the only way the real world works.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    See here for a further explanation
    http://www.infoshop.org/faq/secFint.html

What about the right to individual property...can't I own my own house or my computer? :confused: Or is that all communal property? :confused:

I've read anarchists talking about possession...how does that differ from having property? You either own something or you don't...
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    What about the right to individual property...can't I own my own house or my computer? :confused: Or is that all communal property? :confused:

I've read anarchists talking about possession...how does that differ from having property? You either own something or you don't...

"private property" in this context means land and resources used for production. Its doesn't mean you can't have your own house or computer.
  • Options
    Which can only ever be privately owned.