Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Met police chief bugs IPCC

Just when you thought London's police chief couldnt get any wierder and more unpleasant he turns Nixon and has been taping conversations with people without their knowledge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4801032.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Seems like a sensible thing to do when dealing with that nest of vipers.
    Is this saying that britains top policeman doesn't trust britain's top lawyer?

I wonder why not? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Echelon doesn`t appear to concern many,but this one call has received attention.Odd :confused:
  • Options
    Bet's Blair won't last his full term - he doesn't seem to be able to walk past a hole without putting his foot in it.

I've no problem with important phone-calls being recorded - I've done it myself. But its common courtesy to let the person at the other end know that you're recording.
  • Options
    I thought it was law, which is why answering machines bleep when they start recording...
  • Options
    No, you only need permission if you are going to give the tapes to a third party. Obviously if Blair was playing these tapes to others in his office then he has broken civil (not criminal) law.
  • Options
    I thought companies at least had the obligation to warn you in advance- hence practically every single institution you phone, from your bank to your gas supplier, warns you in advanced the conversation might be recorded for training purproses.
  • Options
    I thought companies at least had the obligation to warn you in advance- hence practically every single institution you phone, from your bank to your gas supplier, warns you in advanced the conversation might be recorded for training purproses.

Asserting copyright is always a fun thing to do when they say that.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

That's because they are going to play the tapes to a third party, if Blair was keeping the tapes for his and only his use then he didnt legally have to warn them.
  • Options
    Heh, I've done that a couple of times myself. Always good to have someones exact words and context on tape.
  • Options
    How do you do it? Is there a device you buy or do you simply get a tape recorded as close to the phone as possible? I mean, I know companies will have the means in their telephone systems but how about Joe Bloggs in the street?
  • Options
    Ian Blair is such an embarrassment. He's put his foot in it time and time again. We hear claims that he dithered as an innocent man was shot in Stockwell. He laughably brands the media "institutionally racist". Now he records conversations with the Attorney General. He just can't help himself, can he? Someone sack him already, and give London a proper police chief instead of a media whore.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Ian Blair is such an embarrassment. He's put his foot in it time and time again. We hear claims that he dithered as an innocent man was shot in Stockwell. He laughably brands the media "institutionally racist". Now he records conversations with the Attorney General. He just can't help himself, can he? Someone sack him already, and give London a proper police chief instead of a media whore.

i tink its perfectly reasonable to record phone conversations for his own private use, so he can watch his back
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i tink its perfectly reasonable to record phone conversations for his own private use, so he can watch his back
    Recording conversations with the Attorney General sounds rather fishy to me. Why was he recording them? He says it's because he didn't have anybody to take notes. Can't he do it himself?
  • Options
    oh sorry mr attorny general while i hold the conversatioon and get a pen
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    oh sorry mr attorney general while i hold the conversatioon and get a pen
    Oh, come on! I'm sure Lord Goldsmith could wait a few seconds whilst Sir Ian gets out a pen and paper. It's not hard!
  • Options
    I really don't blame Blair for doing this.

Would you trust a New Labour politician (or indeed any politician) to keep their word?

I know I wouldn't.

The saddest thing is that Britain's top copper doesn't trust anyone. Understandable given the current climate.
  • Options
    Given the monumental amount of rubbish Blair has spoken regarding the Menezes issue alone, I think it's anyone else who should be recording anything that is said if talking to Sir Ian.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Would you trust a New Labour politician (or indeed any politician) to keep their word?
    Fair point, I suppose.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The saddest thing is that Britain's top copper doesn't trust anyone. Understandable given the current climate.

Thats an admirable trait in a copper. If he also thinks no-one is truly above the law too, then we might actually have the first decent commander for ages.