Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So much for freedom of speech in America!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    There's a difference in my mind between claiming something about a named indivdual and suggesting its a group. Same as I think there's a difference between someone saying that they don't like Blacks and someone saying I don't like them and I'm trying to arrange a lynching party.

Also where do you stop. I personally find it pretty insulting that virtually everytime Private Eye says 'Ulsterman' it puts 'dour' in front of it. And I'm not a massive fan of some of the comments people make on anyone who joins ther army asbeing either apyschotic or a misfit. But I'm not sure that we should stop people saying this.

We may think that what people say is odious and wrong, but its a slippery slope when we start stopping them saying it. With slander and incitment to hatred we've already gone someway down that slope (which I'm quiet happy with) I'm not convinced we know to go any further down.
    It's not about the individual vs. the group, it's about opinions vs. facts. It is fine for someone to say 'I think all black people are wankers' since that is an opinion and is free to be challenged. I may not like the opinion, I may think it's racist and bigotted, but I accept it as that person's opinion. It is not fine for someone to say 'All black people are rapists' since that is not an opinion, it's a lie portrayed as a fact unless it can be proven otherwise. The same applies when talking about an individual. If you say something as if it was fact, then you'd better be prepared to back it up, or suffer the consequences (being sued for example).

In this case, the professor has stated, or suggested that black people are inherantly less intelligent. If he can back that statement of fact up, then fine. If another 10 studies show it to be incorrect, and he still sticks by his study, then he should be sacked for being a poor scientist. If he's proved to have made it up to support his racist agenda (hypothetically) then he should also suffer the consequences as should anyone.
  • Options
    In this case, the professor has stated, or suggested that black people are inherantly less intelligent. If he can back that statement of fact up, then fine. If another 10 studies show it to be incorrect, and he still sticks by his study, then he should be sacked for being a poor scientist. If he's proved to have made it up to support his racist agenda (hypothetically) then he should also suffer the consequences as should anyone.
    That was the other thread wasn't it? Oops.
  • Options
    The only response to challenges to freedom of speech is more freedom of speech.

Exactly. I don't like what this guy is saying, but he has the right to say it. Just like others have the right to out him as a racist bigot and mock him forever about it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, not quite. Freedom of speech suits most people until abusive, racist or homophobic filth is spread.

A big difference.

Yeah, but plenty of people could find what he said offensive or abusive,
  • Options
    Offensive? Quite likely, but just about any opinion you express on something political will probably offend *somebody*. Abusive? Not unless your name is George W...
  • Options
    The only response to challenges to freedom of speech is more freedom of speech.

:thumb: