Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Countries and Borders

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Aye but the last cunts to colonise us where the English so I have every right to call them imperialist cunts....ya big cunt yourself :p

I’m not an expert on Ireland and haven’t ever studied it but I think it’s a bit more complex than colonisation of an African country. I mean, I’ve heard before people claim that if unionists hadn’t kicked up such a fuss about Irish Home Rule that today Ireland might be like a devolved Scotland instead of as it is now. Regardless, it’s not the doing of English people today. Something it took a long time for the cunts in the IRA to work out.
  • Options
    I’m not an expert on Ireland and haven’t ever studied it but I think it’s a bit more complex than colonisation of an African country. I mean, I’ve heard before people claim that if unionists hadn’t kicked up such a fuss about Irish Home Rule that today Ireland might be like a devolved Scotland instead of as it is now. Regardless, it’s not the doing of English people today. Something it took a long time for the cunts in the IRA to work out.

What do you mean devolved like Scotland? The ROI is an independant country. Northern Ireland is the same as Wales and Scotland but is ruled from Whitehall because we're arguing too much.

The IRA never really attacked England that much, certainly some high profile bombings but in the scale of things. England was left pretty much alone.
  • Options
    It's the name given to the area that shares the same culture.

:confused:

By who? Would be my first question. What for? Would be my second.

And this really is an incredible position to take. What you are saying is that if you have a culture, it automatically comes with it's own borders, regulations, legal system, armed goons and so on. Obvious monkeynuts.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

By who? Would be my first question. What for? Would be my second.

And this really is an incredible position to take. What you are saying is that if you have a culture, it automatically comes with it's own borders, regulations, legal system, armed goons and so on. Obvious monkeynuts.

By who? Our ancestors

What for? To show identity

It doesn't automatically come with those borders no. We can challenge the legal system if we wish to do so. Start a party and hope you get enough votes. You can call it "The Klintock Abolishment of Countries and Armed Goons Party" Might get a couple of votes if you're lucky. I'm sorry if you don't like to "buy" into the idea of countries but 99% of us do and are happy to do so, so tough luck eh?
  • Options
    Ostensibly they were for defence. Groups who had commonalities among language and custom would band together for protection. Later (alot later), the Treaty of Westphalia, using Hobbesian logic, formalised this idea. However, in the current world of transnational NGOs, TNCs, crime syndicates and terrorist groups, it seems to be becoming more irrelevant again. To a degree.
  • Options
    By who? Our ancestors

Which of "our ancestors" specifically?

Your grandad, my grandad, sitting by the fire?
    What for? To show identity

Answer the first question and come back to this one.......
    It doesn't automatically come with those borders no. We can challenge the legal system if we wish to do so.

What for?
    Start a party and hope you get enough votes.

Why? i don't want to rule you, i want to be left mostly alone to get on with things.
    Might get a couple of votes if you're lucky.

How many people DO you need to turn theft into taxation, or murder into an execution? 10, 20, a million, more?
    I'm sorry if you don't like to "buy" into the idea of countries but 99% of us do and are happy to do so, so tough luck eh?

You do what you want. All i want is to have the option of not playing. You can have as many delusions as you like, just respect my decision not to join in, and put the fucking guns down so i am not forced into paying for your lunacy. Simple.
    However, in the current world of transnational NGOs, TNCs, crime syndicates and terrorist groups, it seems to be becoming more irrelevant again. To a degree.

It's pretty simple. Countries are for serfs, peons and livestock. The other players of the game can do what the fuck they want and it doesn't matter a whit. Any of the lower orders try and do things for themselves and the boys will soon be round though.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes I am Irish and proud of it thank you very much.

Thank you for proving the point.

Your country isn't Ireland, it is Britain. You are legally British. Not Irish.

Wrong side of the border to be Irish, you see.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Thank you for proving the point.

Your country isn't Ireland, it is Britain. You are legally British. Not Irish.

Wrong side of the border to be Irish, you see.

Au contrar...I am Irish. Northern Irish citizens can be either Irish or British or both. I'm officially Irish.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Which of "our ancestors" specifically?

Your grandad, my grandad, sitting by the fire?

Nope many many many years before that and their legacy is still seen today. I.e. music, dance, food, art.

klintock wrote:
    Why? i don't want to rule you, i want to be left mostly alone to get on with things.

Humans need to work together to function and survive. There needs to be some sort of organization. You just can't simply be left to your own devices.

klintock wrote:
    You do what you want. All i want is to have the option of not playing. You can have as many delusions as you like, just respect my decision not to join in, and put the fucking guns down so i am not forced into paying for your lunacy. Simple.

I do respect your opinion but do you really tihnk that there could ever be a society without protection?

klintock wrote:
    It's pretty simple. Countries are for serfs, peons and livestock. The other players of the game can do what the fuck they want and it doesn't matter a whit. Any of the lower orders try and do things for themselves and the boys will soon be round though.

But what's this got to do with countries. If you break any law then the boys will be around. As I've said, if you don't like the law, vote for something else that will change it.
  • Options
    Nope many many many years before that and their legacy is still seen today. I.e. music, dance, food, art.

I think you'll find that borders were put in place by kings and queens - i.e. whoever the biggest murdering bastard around at the time.

Borders are agreements between differing sets of parasites, liars and killers as to what their "turf" is.
    Humans need to work together to function and survive. There needs to be some sort of organization. You just can't simply be left to your own devices.

As I need to deal with others to survive, and will do so voluntarily in my own best interests, why the hell do you need groups of men with guns making me behave their way?
    I do respect your opinion but do you really tihnk that there could ever be a society without protection?

What protection? The police don't provide any, and the only people who are likely to come calling in large numbers are other idiots who have been hoodwinked with this whole "countries" malarky.
    But what's this got to do with countries. If you break any law then the boys will be around

In a given area. A country is first and foremost a legal distinction, put in place by the ruling class to keep everything just as it is. The fact that idiots think it's real only benefits them.

You'll notice that that ruling class change these arbitary divisions all the time, as regards their various "unitary authorities" "counties" and such. Your council tax parish and all that other crap gets changed at will.
    As I've said, if you don't like the law, vote for something else that will change it.

What has the law got to do with me? We already established that the fundamental basis of it - that you are within a border is flawed. Any assumption of innocence would have to include innocence from being within jurisdiction, or it wouldn't be a presumption of innocence at all.

In short - what did I do to make myself subject to these laws?

You didn't answer the question about how many people do you need to change theft into taxation either.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You didn't answer the question about how many people do you need to change theft into taxation either.

It's not theft when the money taken off you goes into good use like public services.
  • Options
    It's not theft when the money taken off you goes into good use like public services.

So if I rob you at gunpoint but by a little old lady some medicine you haven't been robbed?

Bollocks.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What do you mean devolved like Scotland? The ROI is an independant country. Northern Ireland is the same as Wales and Scotland but is ruled from Whitehall because we're arguing too much.

I think you missed the point I was making. I'll explain..

Last year for AS history we briefly touched upon home rule and since an Irish professor teaching at Ox was friendly with our teacher he came in to speak to us since our teacher didn’t know much about Ireland. Anyway this guy basically concluded saying that had the unionists tolerated liberal attempts at Irish Home Rule instead of resisting them through threats and creating their own private army today Ireland would not be divided by an artificial border and the whole of Ireland would be part of the UK in some kind of devolution-type arrangement not dissimilar to that Scotland has. He also said Irish nationalism had little public support until after the excessive British response to the Easter Rising, prior to that most Irish people wanted some autonomy in their own affairs but hardly any full independence. Not having studied in depth I don't really have any strong opinion myself.
    turlough wrote:
    The IRA never really attacked England that much, certainly some high profile bombings but in the scale of things. England was left pretty much alone.

Birmingham pub bombings? Guildford pub bombing? Brighton hotel bombing? :rolleyes: Attempting to kill the Prime Minister was hardly leaving England alone. Tbh that the animal responsible was not executed for treason is in itself wrong imo, that he was later released I find truly disgusting.
  • Options
    that he was later released I find truly disgusting.

A lot of sick fucks were released, on both sides. It was necessary for the implementation of the peace process, you're not in a position to judge. You don't know what the score is over here, got it?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So if I rob you at gunpoint but by a little old lady some medicine you haven't been robbed?

Bollocks.

I don't think the two are comparable. Yes the little old lady gets her medicine but many others won't. At least with a system of taxation the money gets spread equally among the populace.
  • Options
    I don't think the two are comparable. Yes the little old lady gets her medicine but many others won't. At least with a system of taxation the money gets spread equally among the populace.

SO if I robbed from everyone it's not theft? :confused:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    SO if I robbed from everyone it's not theft? :confused:

How am I benefiting from it though. Will I reap some of the benefits too?
  • Options
    How am I benefiting from it though. Will I reap some of the benefits too?

So, theft isn't theft if -

1) you subsequently spend the money on something nice

2) you get something out of it

Or have I read this wrong?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So, theft isn't theft if -

1) you subsequently spend the money on something nice

2) you get something out of it

Or have I read this wrong?

Yes...theft only benefits one person...the thief.
  • Options
    Yes...theft only benefits one person...the thief.

Wow. That's pretty fucked up mate.

Lets have a look see then. Ok I am a mafia type who gives to charity. All day long I steal from people and then decide that in order to make my theft look good, I will hand out large cheques to a few charities and some to the local hospital. Because when not robbing people to pay for my stuff, I am a pretty nice guy.

What you are saying is that because Mr. Mafia gives some of what he has stolen back in such a way as it helps others, his original actions weren't theft.

Did i get this right?
  • Options
    Doesn't work like that mate.

Taxation and Theft are two different things altogether. Taxation can be spread evenly among a demographic, theft can't.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    A lot of sick fucks were released, on both sides. It was necessary for the implementation of the peace process, you're not in a position to judge. You don't know what the score is over here, got it?

:rolleyes: I guess in your world the only people in a position to judge are Irish nationalists who know what it’s really like. Being English however and as a British citizen I’m indisputably entitled to have an opinion on somebody that attempted to kill the British Prime Minister on English soil. So please fuck off telling me I can’t have an opinion about some animal that murdered five people in Brighton and permanently disabled several others.
  • Options
    Doesn't work like that mate.

A list of factual differences between the act of taxation and the act of extortion please, Mr. Turlough.
    Taxation and Theft are two different things altogether. Taxation can be spread evenly among a demographic, theft can't.

So if I only stole from a certain group it's not theft?

Say I only steal from middle aged ginger haired men, that wouldn't be theft?

You've missed a question or two I notice.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: I guess in your world the only people in a position to judge are Irish nationalists who know what it’s really like. Being English however and as a British citizen I’m indisputably entitled to have an opinion on somebody that attempted to kill the British Prime Minister on English soil. So please fuck off telling me I can’t have an opinion about some animal that murdered five people in Brighton and permanently disabled several others.

What the fuck are you on about you silly little pretentious wank stain. If they weren't released the IRA would still be bombing everywhere you dumbass...yeh it was hard seeing them released but it was necessary, Ireland and Britain are in a far better off situation because of it. You really think the IRA would have stayed on their ceasefire if they had hundreds of prisoners in jail, fuck that was the main reason they called the 1994 one off and bombed London.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    A list of factual differences between the act of taxation and the act of extortion please, Mr. Turlough.

Taxation is legal. Extortion isn't.

klintock wrote:
    So if I only stole from a certain group it's not theft?

Where did I even half imply that?
  • Options
    Taxation is legal. Extortion isn't.

That's not a factual difference. It's a matter of opinion.
    Where did I even half imply that? :confused:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What the fuck are you on about you silly little pretentious wank stain. If they weren't released the IRA would still be bombing everywhere you dumbass...yeh it was hard seeing them released but it was necessary, Ireland and Britain are in a far better off situation because of it. You really think the IRA would have stayed on their ceasefire if they had hundreds of prisoners in jail, fuck that was the main reason they called the 1994 one off and bombed London.

Regardless my original point stands.

Compromises had to be made but releasing somebody that attempted to kill the British PM was one that should not have been made imo. Although if he was executed for treason like he should have been nobody could have ever demanded his release.