Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

woman loses bid to use embryo from ex partner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4780346.stm

not the exact story but the european courts have turned her down now i believe, its just not on the bbc site

and here is most recent part
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/legal/article349770.ece

i feel sorry for the woman in her desire to have a child, except she should have read the small print in that it takes both partners to consent to impregnating her, and the guy now doesn't want to have an estranged child so its her fault really

a woman might rightfully have the right to abort a foetus despite a partner or expartners objections, however in terms of conception, both people have a say in the final matter

having a child of your 'own' is not a right

Comments

• Options
    well the thing is, if they'd had sex and conceived the child, theres nothing the estranged father could do about it, in all technicality, the child has been conceived, so i dont see why she cant go ahead with it

but i can also understand why the father does not want an estranged child as well, my head hurts from confusion
  • Options
    I really feel for the woman, and couldn't possibly understand what she's going through, but I agree with the verdict.
  • Options
    It is a very tough one, I would hate to have to make that judgement myself. :(

My heart goes out to the woman in question but I also have no trouble understanding the position and objection of her ex.

Ultimately I concur, I think the court made the right decision.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It is a very tough one, I would hate to have to make that judgement myself. :(
    Yes, quite. This is one case I would happily sit on the fence for.

Very sad for all concerned, and a tough call, but like others I believe it was the right decision.
  • Options
    What this boils down to is a spiteful little cunt of a creature- someone who cheated on his fiance, met a new woman, and got her pregnant- spitefully and vindictively destroying any chance his ex has of having children. I can never forgive Mr Howard Johnston of Gloucester for that, and I wouldn't shed a tear if he got hit by a truck tomorrow morning.

I happen to think that once you consent, your consent remains in cases like this. I don't see why this man should get to spitefully destroy this woman's dreams, and all my sympathies lie with this woman.

In law it was the right decision, but the morally right decision would be to get a baseball bat and teach Mr Johnston a lesson he won't forget in a hurry.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What this boils down to is a spiteful little cunt of a creature- someone who cheated on his fiance, met a new woman, and got her pregnant- spitefully and vindictively destroying any chance his ex has of having children. I can never forgive Mr Howard Johnston of Gloucester for that, and I wouldn't shed a tear if he got hit by a truck tomorrow morning.

I happen to think that once you consent, your consent remains in cases like this. I don't see why this man should get to spitefully destroy this woman's dreams, and all my sympathies lie with this woman.

In law it was the right decision, but the morally right decision would be to get a baseball bat and teach Mr Johnston a lesson he won't forget in a hurry.

so someone can't withdraw consent to have something done before it's actually done?

or

lets say she had a kid from some of the frozen embryos, and then the male donor mets a woman at a point when he or her cannot concieve and wants to use those embryos on his new partner, should he be allowed to? even if the female donor says no?
  • Options
    so someone can't withdraw consent to have something done before it's actually done?

The baby is already there, in a little tube.

It's already been done. If it was a natural conception, it'd be out of his hands now.

That's how it should be in this case too.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

More macho posturing I see

Do you realise how ridiculous you sound, you used to be quite sensible I seem to remember...........

He had an affair so he deserves to be killed? Brutal beatings as punishment? All very sensible, glad you or people like you aren't in power, it would be a Taliban hellhole.......
  • Options
    I agre with the judgement, she's just another selfish woman who thinks having a baby is a "right", well it ain't babe. And what about the fathers rights in all this, he's just as entitled to his "rights" as she is.
  • Options
    yes but as kermit said, had this been a natural conception, then he wouldnt be able to "withdraw his rights"
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    yes but as kermit said, had this been a natural conception, then he wouldnt be able to "withdraw his rights"
    But its NOT a natural conception is it????
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:

That's irrelevant.

IMHO he signed up to be a father when he created the embryos with his sperm. He should not be allowed to change his mind because he's a spiteful pathetic little creature.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    That's irrelevant.

IMHO he signed up to be a father when he created the embryos with his sperm. He should not be allowed to change his mind because he's a spiteful pathetic little creature.

So he should have an unwanted baby with an unwanted partner. That seems crazy.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

Course it is. Everything is natural, we are part of nature.

Presumably if he was still in a relationship he would have had a say in exactly where and when these embyo's get used (or not). Why is it different when he isn't?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Women usually have the choice of an abortion, why shouldn't he have the same right in this instance?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Presumably if he was still in a relationship he would have had a say in exactly where and when these embyo's get used (or not). Why is it different when he isn't?

The relationship status is irrelevant IMHO.

He became a father the day those embryos were created. He shouldn't be allowed to bellyache about it now, and he certainly shouldn't be allowed to destroy this woman simply because he is a spiteful little boy and has got his mistress up the duff.

Legally he can, hence this decision, but morally he has no right to.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The relationship status is irrelevant IMHO.

He became a father the day those embryos were created. He shouldn't be allowed to bellyache about it now, and he certainly shouldn't be allowed to destroy this woman simply because he is a spiteful little boy and has got his mistress up the duff.

Legally he can, hence this decision, but morally he has no right to.

the embryo is currently not in the woman thus it is not equivilent to a regular conception as it doesnt depend on her body, it is currently dependant on being frozen

if she didnt want kids, and the guy did, could he use those eggs in a new partner if need be?
  • Options
    the embryo is currently not in the woman thus it is not equivilent to a regular conception as it doesnt depend on her body, it is currently dependant on being frozen

I don't think that makes any odds.

I fully understand why the law is how it is, and I can fully understand why this man doesn't want his ex to have children. But I don't think he should be allowed to veto it in this way, for exactly the same reasons that the widowed Mrs Blunt was allowed to have children a few years ago.
    if she didnt want kids, and the guy did, could he use those eggs in a new partner if need be?

I don't see why not.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think that makes any odds.

I fully understand why the law is how it is, and I can fully understand why this man doesn't want his ex to have children. But I don't think he should be allowed to veto it in this way, for exactly the same reasons that the widowed Mrs Blunt was allowed to have children a few years ago.

i believe that he gave permission before he died or not?
  • Options
    i believe that he gave permission before he died or not?

Mr Blunt never gave permission for his sperm to be used.

It was assumed from his previous actions. Which is exactly what should have happened this time.

I can see both sides to this argument, but this man signed up to be a dad five years ago, he can't change his mind like this now that he knows his ex can't do anything. I rather suspect the selfish little child is getting off on the power trip of it all, having his ex begging him in public like this.

What a horrible individual.
  • Options
    wasn't his surname Blood or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I think what adds another dimension is child support, can you force to contribute if they decided against becoming a father. Would the CSA not chase him in this case like they do everyone else regardless of private agreements.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    wasn't his surname Blood or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Probably is, I can't really remember what his name was.
    I think what adds another dimension is child support, can you force to contribute if they decided against becoming a father. Would the CSA not chase him in this case like they do everyone else regardless of private agreements.

That's one of the stumbling blocks, any agreement would be outside the law.

It's a big mess really. The law should be cleared up- the father can withdraw consent, but not have to pay. Seems fair enough.

As I've said, legally this was the correct decision. I can't say that it was ethically.
  • Options
    The trouble is if people don't read the small print, it's difficult to think what could be done to redress the situation. I feel sorry for her but don't think a child should be brought into the world in these circumstances.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    The trouble is if people don't read the small print, it's difficult to think what could be done to redress the situation.

I quite agree. You can't just tear the law up because it's unethical.
    I feel sorry for her but don't think a child should be brought into the world in these circumstances.

I don't think they're any different to the Blood circumstances.

The real villain of the piece is Mr Johnston of Gloucester, and I don't think anyone should divert their bile anywhere but towards that odious piece of filth.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    As I've said, legally this was the correct decision. I can't say that it was ethically.

i dont see how you can say it was ethically wrong, i say it was her bad decision not to just have eggs stored or something, and if she is that eager for a child she could go through regular IVF or adopt
  • Options
    It's much more difficult to store and defrost eggs than embryos and sperm due to the high water content in oocytes.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

For once I agree with Kermit. He is nasty. Presumable if she knew he would have withdrawn his consent she could have opted to have her eggs frozen instead? Or if that was not an option she could have used a sperm donor's sperm in the first place instead of his. He has left her with no options of putting things right.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    For once I agree with Kermit. He is nasty. Presumable if she knew he would have withdrawn his consent she could have opted to have her eggs frozen instead? Or if that was not an option she could have used a sperm donor's sperm in the first place instead of his. He has left her with no options of putting things right.

well there is conventional IVF and adoption still

and imo someone should be allowed to withdraw their consent like this simply because it is only fair and ethical

allowing her to really concieve ie have the embryo implanted inside her (as most probably the embryo was technically concieved in a petrie dish and instantly frozen after it starts to grow) would be the most unethical option as they entered a joint agreement, and thus both have the continual right to disallow the final (permenent) step as up until then that embryo hasnt even seen her body
  • Options
    I think the woman is extremely selfish, she is not considering the childs feelings or anyone elses at all, just her own.

I don't think that she should be allowed have a child without the fathers consent. After all, he will be financially responsible for the child for 18 years plus - why should the father be landed with a child he doesn't want.

Also, is it fair to bring a child into the world when the father doesn't want it and the mother has a stronger than average chance of terminal illness? I know nothing in life is certain, but the odds certainly would be stacked against this child if it was born.
  • Options
    iif she is that eager for a child she could go through regular IVF or adopt

1. She's infertile because of the cancer treatment.

2. Whilst adoption is very worthy, its not even slightly the same.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    is it fair to bring a child into the world when the father doesn't want it

Of course it is.

For the exact same reason Mrs Blood was allowed children, so should this woman.