Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Soviet Union...

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I guess you have to weigh up at what price does taking a backward, almost exclusively agrarian society, with no real industry to speak of, that may as well have been 200 years in the past, and turning it into a country that resisted and some might say, broke the back of Nazi Germany, the most industrialised country at the time and became a superpower with nuclear weapons and a space program in 30 years?

The answer is 30 million people dead but Stalin did acheive something quite phenomenal in terms of social and scientific progress. Plus under him, everyone was given a house and the reason it all fell apart, apart from Gorbachev, was that no-one after Stalin was a natural leader.

Well, someone agrees with me!

Prepare for people to say "omg stalin was evil11!one!" a fair bit now. Stalin... was the lesser of two evils really. And an entirley necessary evil.

Without him, Hitler would have killed all you motherfuckers without thinking twice. Britain, would be flattened. By the time the USA got involved, it'd have been too late without Stalin leading the USSR.

70% of the Nazi's armed forces fell to the Russians. So however much of a part D-Day played... bear that in mind. We only took on 30%.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    True that. I may not have liked Stalin, but he was just the right sort of evil sonofabitch needed to take someone like Hitler and Nazi Germany down. Hitler should have bought a baggie for his teef and a teddy bear for his ghetto shrine when he started to plan his invasion of the USSR.
  • Options
    I concur, except for the bit about it all falling apart because there was no natural leader after Stalin. There was no system for leadership because Stalin never allowed anyone to rise to a high enough level of power to challenge him. Had some sort of system been in place under Communism to choose leadership, then who knows what might have occured. But it was not a lack of leadership, it was a system designed to surpress.

Then again, it was the same system that allowed Stalin to come to power after Lenin because Lenin was equally power mad and refused to allow a successor to come to the for front.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This thread's got me completely baffled. How anyone can claim that the Soviet Union was somehow a "capitalist" society is beyond me. The truth is it was a dangerous communist regime. Millions died under dogmatic rule. I have yet to see anything which can persuade me communist Russia was nothing other than a spectacular failure.

Russia since 1989 is an even more spectacular failure - proof that capitalism will never work?
  • Options
    Actually Capitalism does work, when you use it from the start. Russia is suffering for trying to be communist and failing. If they had always been capitalist they would be better off.
  • Options
    Countries where capitalism is working out fine and dandy for everybody don't usually have Communist revolutions.
  • Options
    Capitalism does not work out "fine and dandy for everyone", ever. Its very nature is built on the assumption of one's interests superceding that of all those around him/her.

That the disparity between the have's and have nots is accelerating and widening only further reinforces this reality.
  • Options
    True - and even where capitalism does raise the standard of living in a country, you can bet it's at the expense of somebody else somewhere...
  • Options
    i never said capitalism was perfect, im just saying communism is inferior. It can't even work if it has a competing economic system, something capitalism can do.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sorry, what is the question scalett?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    i never said capitalism was perfect, im just saying communism is inferior. It can't even work if it has a competing economic system, something capitalism can do.

You're making the same mistake that everyone on here seems to make - conflating Stalinism or Leninism with communism.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    sorry, what is the question scalett?

I believe she may be taking issue with you assertion that somewhere can have been "always capitalist".
  • Options
    And i think you are misaking Communism with Marxism.

Marxism is a theory that doesnt work now in modern times as it was designed a theory for the time it was written.

Lenin took marxism and distroted it for his own political agenda and quest for power, by forcing revolution instead of allowing it to happen naturally, however once in power, Lenin did impliment true comunism, not marxism and not even leninism but true communism. It failed miserably and so had to be modified to fit a capitalist system.

Stalinism of course undermind the capitalism implimented by lenin and so reverted to a forced communist system of true comunism, which was collectivisation. It was merely more aggressive and brutal to lenin attempt at communism, which in itself led to thousands of farmers been execute for not farming for the nation, because they wanted some compensation for it. The result been the USSR had topurchase food, grain etc from America in secret to feed its people.

Post Stalin, moderate communism with elements of capitalism were implimented. This was impossible to work in a predominantly capitalist world.

Actual communism can not compete with capitalism. Capitalism may infact not be better then communism, however communism can not compete successfully in a capitalist world unless you have a vast majority of citizens within that system been happy to suffer for the sake of its success. which most people are not, hence its failing.
  • Options
    You're making the same mistake that everyone on here seems to make - conflating Stalinism or Leninism with communism.

You do it all the time with the phrase "capitalist", so why not?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I believe she may be taking issue with you assertion that somewhere can have been "always capitalist".

Well, where ever money exchange has occured for services or good provided is capitalism, trade is capitalism, the consumption of wealth by business, etc. So even in the Roman Empire, Ancient Greece, etc capitalism has occured. The British Empire was capitalist, industrialisation leads to capitalism as it was always taken as a given system foe the situation or a given way to work. Then Marx came along with alternatives as did many others and tried them.

Their thinking outside the box may have worked had it been done the way it was theorised and at that given time. But in essense, development with the rest of the developing world usually comes off better if you do it in the same way as the others. As in Russia been capitalist at that time.

Of course it doesnt work if your a country who develops later, like Africa or central America of course. That is obvious to see, i think. They become easily manipulated and control and exploited.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    The fault was mine scarlett for not been clear about my statement i think. i should have been more specific.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Well, where ever money exchange has occured for services or good provided is capitalism, trade is capitalism, the consumption of wealth by business, etc. So even in the Roman Empire, Ancient Greece, etc capitalism has occured. The British Empire was capitalist, industrialisation leads to capitalism as it was always taken as a given system foe the situation or a given way to work. Then Marx came along with alternatives as did many others and tried them.

Their thinking outside the box may have worked had it been done the way it was theorised and at that given time. But in essense, development with the rest of the developing world usually comes off better if you do it in the same way as the others. As in Russia been capitalist at that time.

Of course it doesnt work if your a country who develops later, like Africa or central America of course. That is obvious to see, i think. They become easily manipulated and control and exploited.

The capitalist mode of production has existed for a long time, but it wasn't always the dominant mode of production. Feudalism, mercantilism, subsistence farming etc all existed long before capitalism became dominant. I think the confusion arises because you don't actually have a clear idea of what capitalism actually means.
  • Options
    The capitalist mode of production has existed for a long time, but it wasn't always the dominant mode of production. Feudalism, mercantilism, subsistence farming etc all existed long before capitalism became dominant. I think the confusion arises because you don't actually have a clear idea of what capitalism actually means.

You got that right.

Unless your picking fruit from uncultivated trees, your engaged in capitalism.
  • Options
    Actually i do know what Capitalism means Blagsta and the hostory of its development. It is you who fails to realise that in modern times the use of the term capitialism in a business and economic term, not a political term is easily understood to include the use of monetary compensation for something provided, including farming, livestock, etc.

Why must you always jump in to debates blagsta like an expert but fail to say anything at all, you just diss everyone else who you disagree with? It is kind of pointless if your not making a contribution.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Actually Capitalism does work, when you use it from the start. Russia is suffering for trying to be communist and failing. If they had always been capitalist they would be better off.

This is a good point. I've been reading the work of Bill Warren, one of the New Marxist writers and he makes a similar arguement in reference to Lenin's theory of imperialism. Marxist thought clearly states that capitalism is the highest form of economics thus far and that Communism can only occur afterwards.

That makes sense economically too. Without the necessary infrastructure, integration into the gloabl trade system and heavy industry, Russia stood a snowballs chance in hell of lasting, as does any country that strictly adheres to non-capitalist thought. It had to try and catch up with the rest of the world, while also putting down dissent and dealing with foreign forces invading in its early years. China has only survived so far because of its opening of markets to foreign investors and a bastardised Centralised/capitalist economy. Russia never took that risk. If the Chinese are as sensible as I think, they will use that investment to continue improving their heavy industry, communications and infrastructure, ensuring success over a longer period of time.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Actually i do know what Capitalism means Blagsta and the hostory of its development. It is you who fails to realise that in modern times the use of the term capitialism in a business and economic term, not a political term is easily understood to include the use of monetary compensation for something provided, including farming, livestock, etc.

Why must you always jump in to debates blagsta like an expert but fail to say anything at all, you just diss everyone else who you disagree with? It is kind of pointless if your not making a contribution.

Errrr...no. Capitalism is not the same thing as trade. Have a look at what the Encarta Encyclopedia has to say on the subject
    http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761576596/Capitalism.html
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have a look at what the Encarta Encyclopedia has to say on the subject
    ]
    sorry but i had to laugh! :lol:
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    sorry but i had to laugh! :lol:

What's so funny?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What's so funny?
    you won't understand blag.
    then again you may probably have read it somewhere.
  • Options
    you won't understand blag.
    then again you may probably have read it somewhere.

then why post it apart from shit stirring?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    then why post it apart from shit stirring?
    i said ...sorry but i had to laugh ...
    you become captain fucking paranoia again!

but seeing as your baiting me again ...

do you see a pattern below?

Which laws aren't being enforced properly?
    Which drugs? What do you mean by "addiction"?
    Which "lefties" are calling for a ban on restricting smoking? Name them
    Do they?
    Are you "hooked" on alcohol? If not, why not? :lol:
  • Options
    i said ...sorry but i had to laugh ...
    you become captain fucking paranoia again!

but seeing as your baiting me again ...

do you see a pattern below?

Which laws aren't being enforced properly?
    Which drugs? What do you mean by "addiction"?
    Which "lefties" are calling for a ban on restricting smoking? Name them
    Do they?
    Are you "hooked" on alcohol? If not, why not? :lol:

Yes - asking questions of people elicits from them exactly what they think on a subject. You haven't really got the hang of this debate thing have you? :D