Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:D:D

oblivion6xk.jpg

:D:D

Comments

• Options
    :hyper:

Life away from my computer will go to oblivion march 20...
  • Options
    YAY!!!!!!!! Hello xbox goodbye social life
  • Options
    yay looks good, bet my PC'll barely run it though :p
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    yay looks good, bet my PC'll barely run it though :p
    could always upgrade or buy a 360 to play it on :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Downgrade to a 360. :p Unless you install an OS on it so it is a PC, of course. ;) THATS an Upgrade!

My PC will run it. On full apparently. :D
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Downgrade to a 360. :p Unless you install an OS on it so it is a PC, of course. ;) THATS an Upgrade!

My PC will run it. On full apparently. :D
    dont me nasty to me. my poor pc is holding on to life just. i really need to upgrade it but for what i need i might as well build a new one (if i had the money)
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    dont me nasty to me. my poor pc is holding on to life just. i really need to upgrade it but for what i need i might as well build a new one (if i had the money)
    Ah, sounds like my old P4 rig... What you need? And for the price of a 360... might as well upgrade!
    As for PS3... dead in the water now,far as I can tell.
  • Options
    My PC is more or less exactly the same as the systems they used to playtest it :) except i've got 1gig of ram not 512mb. Mind you, the machines that rendered the beautiful screenshots were uber machines with dual graphics cards and teh works, basically.

I think oblivion will run on a lot of PCs though, bethesda have been sensitive to the problems of morrowind that if you didnt have an at the time brand new pc it was sooooo slow. oblivion has huge scalability.

I cant wait :) what game to buy in the mean time though... i was thinking star wars: empire at war, but it seems too simplistic. I want to micromanage, dammit!
  • Options
    My PC is more or less exactly the same as the systems they used to playtest it :) except i've got 1gig of ram not 512mb. Mind you, the machines that rendered the beautiful screenshots were uber machines with dual graphics cards and teh works, basically.

I think oblivion will run on a lot of PCs though, bethesda have been sensitive to the problems of morrowind that if you didnt have an at the time brand new pc it was sooooo slow. oblivion has huge scalability.

I cant wait :) what game to buy in the mean time though... i was thinking star wars: empire at war, but it seems too simplistic. I want to micromanage, dammit!

Tried Hearts of Iron? You can micromanage to your hearts content then!
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    could always upgrade or buy a 360 to play it on :D

true :) but I think if I had the money for a 360 I'd just spend it on bits for my PC.

my PC has the min specs, just about... but like most new games now, my radeon 9600 is unsupported, lowest is 9700 do'h!

it'll still run it though :p
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    true :) but I think if I had the money for a 360 I'd just spend it on bits for my PC.

my PC has the min specs, just about... but like most new games now, my radeon 9600 is unsupported, lowest is 9700 do'h!

it'll still run it though :p
    :)
    TES forums wrote:
    System Requirements Lab/SRtest (http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest) - Select "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" from the drop-down box. (hit the "T" key when you open the drop-down to quickly get close to it) This will tell you effectively all you need to know, though there have been questions about its ability to record processor power correctly. (when in doubt, use the chart in this post, found below) Thanks to InvadrZIM for pressuring this site to include Oblivion in their database.
  • Options
    My current setup is

MSI MB (cant remember which one but its abuot 4yrs old)
    AMD XP2100 (1.73Ghz)
    RAM 1256MB
    HDD0 - 120GB
    HDD1 - 20GB
    GFX - ATI Radeon 9800SE+ 128mb
    OS - Win2000 sp4

But i want to upgrade the CPU to a AMD Dual core 64bit, which means i'll have to replace the MB, and more likely the Gfx as well. should get away with the ram and hdd.
  • Options
    the testy thing said
    Congratulations, your system will Rock this product! Wish we had a system that hot you lucky dog

I'm glad that this game is finally coming out, been waiting too long for it...
  • Options

great site :thumb:

my PC actually came higher than I expected, 3/4 of the way between minimum & recommended :D

for recommended though I need...

Recommended CPU speed: 3 GHz
    You Have: 2.1 GHz Performance Rated at 2.6 GHz

Recommended: 128MB Direct3D compatible video card (NVIDIA GeForce 6800+ / ATI Radeon X800+)
    You Have: RADEON 9600 SERIES (ATI RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150))
    [Although it does have all the required minimum specs]

oh, and more RAM.
  • Options
    I can't wait for this game to be released. It comes out on my birthday. Guess what my birthday money's getting spent on? ;)
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    My current setup is

MSI MB (cant remember which one but its abuot 4yrs old)
    AMD XP2100 (1.73Ghz)
    RAM 1256MB
    HDD0 - 120GB
    HDD1 - 20GB
    GFX - ATI Radeon 9800SE+ 128mb
    OS - Win2000 sp4

But i want to upgrade the CPU to a AMD Dual core 64bit, which means i'll have to replace the MB, and more likely the Gfx as well. should get away with the ram and hdd.

To get a raelly nice performance boost, try installing 'softmodded' drivers for the radeon 9800se, its exactly the same card ive got, and i did the same to virtually upgrade it to a 9800 pro. It may not work and cause artefacting (strange objects in the screen, textures not displaying, etc. just random weirdness), in which case roll back to normal drivers.

Softmodded drivers can be found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/downloads.php

• Options
    I have this game now.

The downside - It seems to be just as sluggish as Morrowind, even on high-end PCs. The default setup is not very well optimised. I've had to change quite a few settings and fiddle with INI files to get average performance (whilst still looking nice). It also sounds to be a bit buggy (folk have had crashes and some of the quests seem a bit broken) and so far I am not "drawn in" as much as Morrowind.

The good side - It looks good, and most of the gameplay elements have improved.
  • Options
    Thank the lord for fast travel - can't see how anyone else is going to be able to justify a long rpg in the future just by making you travel for hours
  • Options
    have the game also, tis a good game although I still cant decide if the enemy/loot scaling is a good thing or a bad thing.

and the game keeps crashing on me ;(
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    have the game also, tis a good game although I still cant decide if the enemy/loot scaling is a good thing or a bad thing.

and the game keeps crashing on me ;(

Yeah a few people seem to be getting crashes. Bit naff that really.
  • Options
    This game has been my first foray into the world of RPG's. It's decent, but just the sheer scale of the fucking thing makes me uneasy. It's gonna take a lot of playing to gte used to everything.
  • Options
    Ive been playing it, enjoying it. Broke the main quest :razz: by talking to people in the wrong order, but then I just killed some people and it fixed itself :). On my computer my graphics card is struggling a little bit now that ive turned on anti aliasing. Its worst with oblivion gates and the light effects you get when summoning stuff. If I turn AA off its fine though. But it doesnt affect performance anywhere else, so who knows?

Couple of crashes, nothing I can duplicate though, just sporadic really.

I think its drawn me in more than morrowind. I like the way it feels a lot more like im in it rather than playing a game. Problem is that its very hard to put down. Theres so much to try on it and ive played with the tiniest fraction. Cant work out whether i want my next character to be a thief or an archer or a mage or what! :p

One issue, dragging things with 'z'. If they dont belong to you, it counts as stealing, which i didnt realise. In my stats it now says ive stolen 96 items :(. My char is a pious knight defending good ordinary people, not a blooming thief. Just curious, thats all :p. I like throwing melons in the air and hitting them on the way down.
  • Options
    well your pciking up other peoples possesions so of course its gonna count as stealing :p

what would you say if a stranger started picking up your things and throwing them around ? ;p
  • Options
    Yeah anything that shows up red when you hover instead of yellow means that it's a crime to do the action.
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    well your pciking up other peoples possesions so of course its gonna count as stealing :p

what would you say if a stranger started picking up your things and throwing them around ? ;p

I was merely dragging them :p

One thing thats strange, it might just be mine though... go up to a cabinet full of stuff and pick up something in the middle say... everything else will 'float' up a little bit, sometimes things topple off because of this, its bizarre!
  • Options
    ah yeah cause of the ragdoll physics, if you move somthing it wil disrupt anything touching it although the ragdoll physics are not the greatest so the hitboxes are not that accurate so you get soemthing moving like its been hit even though it hasnt been :p
  • Options
    Anyone know where I can pick up some ectoplasm?
  • Options
    find the dungeons that on world map seem like a cross.

(that is a bad description butr thay are like four quarters that dont join but look like a cruciform) i tend to find skeletons firt then come across ghosts (that once killed give you ectoplasm) in them
  • Options
    Any idea what city it's near?
  • Options
    Any idea what city it's near?

all over the map there are quite a few of them! you just have to explore