Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Amoxicillin Antibiotics - Multi Cures?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

I've been given Amoxicillin Antibiotics for a viral/fluey infection. But reading up on it I notice that it's also given for other things like a number of STI's. Out of curiosity, say I did have chlamydia and took my 7 day course for my virus, would it also kill the chlamydia infection or is that not really how antibiotics work?

Just been pondering on it!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Do you have Chlamidya though? I wouldnt know if it would work, probably best if you think you might then to get tested, I suspect you dont know wether you do or not otherwise you would have been treated at the time of diagnosis. Dont rely on this anti biotic killing of the 'may or may not have' Chlamidya, just get yourself tested for christ sakes.

Ignorance like this is the reason it's so widespread
  • Options
    No, that wasn't the question I was asking, as it happens, I have been checked and I'm fine. I was simply curious reading between the different things that they use the same drug for.
  • Options
    i thought anti biotics didnt work on virus's and only bacteria

or did i get that the wrong way around
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i thought anti biotics didnt work on virus's and only bacteria

or did i get that the wrong way around
    You are correct, they work on bacteria not viruses.

I was on an anti-biotic for a kidney infection over the summer and noticed that the same medicine can be used in the treatment of gonorrhoea. Which got me wondering the same thing actually.
  • Options
    i think they just wipe out all of a specific type of bacteria in your body. cause you hear people talking about antibiotics killing off the 'good' bacteria in your body as well as the bad.
  • Options
    A lot of times the same drug has more than one purpose, but at different strengths, dosages and durations.
  • Options
    they will be broad spectrum antibiotics, which means they will affect the metabolism of a wide range of microbes.
  • Options
    Antibiotics don't do diddly squat against viruses. So you don't have a viral infection, you have a bacterial infection. Antibiotics are sometimes used to reduce the chance of bacteria infecting cells already damaged by a viral infection (also known as a secondary infection), but this is unlikely for something as simple as a throat infection.

Amoxicillin is in the penicillin family, which means it acts against a type of bacteria that are known as Gram-positive. This is most likely to be Streptococcus - the common cause of 'strep throat'.

Chlamydia is caused by a bacteria, not a virus, and so it can be treated with an antibiotic. However it is not Gram-positive and so your Amoxicillin wouldn't act against it. For chlamydia you'd need Azithromycin or Doxycycline.

If you think you have any STIs it would be best to go to the GU clinic, sex health centre or your GP ;)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i think they just wipe out all of a specific type of bacteria in your body. cause you hear people talking about antibiotics killing off the 'good' bacteria in your body as well as the bad.
    Which is why anti-biotics can cause thrush and also diarrhoea - just incase anyone was wondering!