Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Diabetes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi
I didn't know whether to really put this in health or relationaships as its more to do with my dad.

Basically about 2/3 years ago he was told he had type 2 diabetes and because he was obese he needed to start by controlling his lifestyle and diet. He did pretty well to begin with and his sugar levels started to drop. But over the last 6 months he's been starting to what i can only call "cheat". He has started to snack at midnight every night on sandwiches/cereals etc. and is still eating huge portions at meal times (twice mine and mums size). His excuse is that as it's all low calorie this means he can eat as much as he likes. I've tried explaining that isn't how it works. But now i've found out that on the one day he goes to the gym he's taking a packed lunch as well! He does the gym, eats his sandwiches and then goes swimming. He's become really secretive and nasty whenever his eating is mentioned and to be honest it's really starting to worry me and is causing a huge rift. As soon as anyone mentions his diabetes he starts telling them how bad life is as he can't eat sugary foods/puddings/drink alcohol and doing the woe is me act.

The reason im posting is because his doctor has told him his sugar is creeping back up and that he soon might have to turn to insulin if it continues to do so. But the main problem is that dad's acting like he's doing all he can to stop this and that he can't understand why it's so bad. :impissed: I feel that if he doesn't change his attitude soon he's going to be really poorly.

So after this mini rant what i wanted to ask is how anyone thinks i should proceed. I feel like going to see his doctor and telling them the above and asking them to try and have a word with him. Do you think this is wise or possible?

Comments

• Options
    doctor cant discuss you dad with you.
    i have been type one diabetic for 18 years and its not always easy to stay on the right track despite knowing the risks. you can go through a mad period where you think fuck it, sod the complications. maybe your dad is a bit depressed about it. have a chat to him though and tell him your worried.
    i have problems with my eyes due to diabetes and its cause great upset in my life and to my family. sometime you cant help the complications occuring no matter how good you are but you can certainly help lower the risk.
  • Options
    Hi
    Sorry to hear about the problems you're having :( I realise that it must be horrible to have the illness and to have to change your life accordingly and i have always supported dad and tried to encourage him. I was really proud of him when he started to loose the weight.
    I do however have a problem with his secretive childlike attitude. I have tried to talk to him on many occasions esp. telling him that i really don't want him to get iller but all i get now is "fu*k off and mind your own business i'll do what the fu*k i want". I tried to tell him that at the rate he's going he'll end up on insulin and all i got was an immature temper tantrum of "you'd like that if i died, you'd be a rich woman and you'd love me to be dead". This to me sort of merits crossing the line.

I realise the docs can't discuss dad with me. I just wanted to go and try and ask them whether next time they spoke to him they could talk about his mood swings/diet etc. and try and help him that way.
  • Options
    if his diabetes is poorly controlled he will get mood swings but i personally think he sounds depressed or at least angry about it. ive been diabetic since i was nine on insulin and im now 27 and i have been through a whole load of emotions in that time.
    all you can do is what your doing is be there and support him though it is hard if he is telling you to do one.
    i would stress again how important it is for him to control it though especially since i have found out about an hour ago that my brother who has also been diabetic was told by the doc today that he has the start of kidney problems. i have this one horrible thing in common with him and i know how scarey it is having been through hell with my eyes. tears have been flowing thinking about it. you always think it happens to some other person but it doesnt.
    your doing your best mrs, i truely believe that. he has to realise what he is doing is stupid. dont get me wrong i have had my stupid time and it can be a horrible thing to live with but it could be a million times worse. hang in there, i appreciate how worried you are
  • Options
    if its sugary foods your Dad is craving, i know Thorntons do a diabetics range that are especially designed for consumption by people with diabetes...
  • Options
    Sorry about your situation.. I guess it's up to him to try and sort out with maybe some more gentle persuasion.. really trying to hard might just push him away further..
    he can't eat sugary foods/puddings/drink alcohol and doing the woe is me act.

Diabetics can drink can they not? My dad was diabetic and he still had alcohol sometimes.

Also, is there some sort of thing you can buy in the shops (well..chemist)to check if you have it? I'd really like to get myself checked just in-case.. (sorry to hi-jack the thread, just a quick question!)
  • Options
    Hi
    Thanks wee wuman and i'm so sorry to hear about your bro :( I think i might suggest to dad about joining a diabetic society or trying to find a group through the doctors as i really believe it might do him good to talk to other people who have diabetes. I think it might hit home if he realises that at the moment he's got it easy but that if he carries on then it could get a hell of a lot worse.

Muse: I do believe you can get sugar testing sticks from the chemists but i don't know how accurate they are.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    if its sugary foods your Dad is craving, i know Thorntons do a diabetics range that are especially designed for consumption by people with diabetes...
    thastuff is eveil. hopsital tell you to have a wee bit of regular choc rather than the diabetic stuff. its so bad for you, its very very high in fat and a load of crap. it costs a fortune and you can only eat a wee bit as the sorbitol in it had a laxative effect.

and you can get tested in some chemists and i think you can get kits but if youreally want to know go to the docs.

as for drinking, i have a drink, however i have type one diabetes and im not sure how it works with type two when its controlled by diet alone or diet and tablets.