Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going cold turkey on Channel 4.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Just been watching it, its really interesting I find.

Views?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Didn't know it was on! What happened?
  • Options
    Just been watching it, its really interesting I find.

Views?
    but it aint genuine cold turkey when they are being given sedatives and other drugs.
    interesting yes.
  • Options
    I think it's really interesting. Rolly's right - it's not really 'cold turkey' but I'm guessing it's as close as it can be medically. I'm sure it would proper fuck their bodies up more to go without the stuff completely. Should make interesting TV though!
  • Options
    I think it's really interesting. Rolly's right - it's not really 'cold turkey' but I'm guessing it's as close as it can be medically. I'm sure it would proper fuck their bodies up more to go without the stuff completely. Should make interesting TV though!
    i did cold turkey in strangeways jail in 1986.
    not pleasant but no one ever died doing it.
  • Options
    Personally, i dont see how a bunch of junkies coming off the stuff is entertainment....i mean, dress it up with all the bollocks you want but your full of shit if you can find educational value in it....

"Oh wow....i didnt know you shook a lot and threw up when you came off smack...."
    hmmmmm
  • Options
    i did cold turkey in strangeways jail in 1986.
    not pleasant but no one ever died doing it.

Yeah, me and my Dad were chatting about this. In the end we thought that some people must be able to just drop it and stick with it... and other people just couldn't do that and need the help.

Fuck knows, really - it's not like I've ever taken drugs like those lot!!

AlmightyBob - nobody is looking to be educationed from it. Well, I'm not!
  • Options
    I think over the course of the programmes it will result in being interesting to watch, however Im not sure how I feel about it being on TV. Fair enough these people are 'getting help', but Im not sure where I stand ethically with it being on tv
  • Options
    Cold Turkey? :yuck: At least put it in the oven for a while.

Interesting "experiment" didn't catch it myself but will watch next episode.

I've got a brilliant book in my house called Junk Yard...it's about heroin addicts in Dublin prisons...somehow they managed to sneak the smack in!
  • Options

Hehe...maybe you need to be educationed

And if your not looking to be educated by such a show, explain to me where the entertainment value in some serious unwell people lies? Would you watch a bunch of cancer patients go through chemotherapy?

And failing that, if you're of the stance that junkies deserve all they get and its their own fault, why you watching them get better?

The intention of the show continues to perplex me, so maybe someone more educationed can explain it.....
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've got a brilliant book in my house called Junk Yard...it's about heroin addicts in Dublin prisons...somehow they managed to sneak the smack in!

It's easier to get drugs inside a prison than it is out here!
  • Options
    Hmmmm, it left me with a distinctly uneasy feeling. Channel 4 pay for some poor working class junkies to go to an expensive private detox for our entertainment. Not right really. I hope Channel 4 are also paying for rehab straight after as well, otherwise they don't stand much of a chance. :(
  • Options
    Yeah, me and my Dad were chatting about this. In the end we thought that some people must be able to just drop it and stick with it... and other people just couldn't do that and need the help.

Fuck knows, really - it's not like I've ever taken drugs like those lot!!

Its not coming off thats the hard bit, its staying off. Without rehab or proper aftercare they ain't got much of a chance. From what I hear, the aftercare provided by this place is a joke.
  • Options
    Hehe...maybe you need to be educationed

And if your not looking to be educated by such a show, explain to me where the entertainment value in some serious unwell people lies? Would you watch a bunch of cancer patients go through chemotherapy?

Excuse me for my poor grammar, I had been awake all of 10 minutes and was rushing to work. But before you flame me for that, please take note of my other posts and note that I don't make errors that often. Thanks.

I think it's interesting. My reasons for watching it have nothing to do with you, pal.
  • Options
    Excuse me for my poor grammar, I had been awake all of 10 minutes and was rushing to work. But before you flame me for that, please take note of my other posts and note that I don't make errors that often. Thanks.

I think it's interesting. My reasons for watching it have nothing to do with you, pal.
    why almighty is upset and ranting i know not.
    there are progs on about people dying of cancer ...children with cancr etc etc ...
  • Options
    i love channel 4 at the moment! all these body shcok programmes are great. i didn't think i'd enjoy this programme at all but i put it on yesterday because there was nothing else to watch. i've really enjoyed it so far, been really interesting.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i love channel 4 at the moment!

I know what you mean! Well want to watch that programme on Thursday night about the family who film their own downfall, looks mint.
  • Options
    Yeah I've watched it again tonight, think its good.

And its on at half 9 in ze morning.
  • Options
    I apologise....i rant without reason.....got a bee in my bonnet for no reason.

Just dont particularly find this kind of thing to have any value on tv......
  • Options
    I apologise....i rant without reason.....got a bee in my bonnet for no reason.

Just dont particularly find this kind of thing to have any value on tv......
    well it's given me an insight into the lives of heroine addicts and how it affects their family for a start.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    lipsy wrote:
    heroine

...is a female hero! :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    ...is a female hero! :yes:
    yeh, i guess heroine addicts is a whole different show :lol:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    :lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    I know what you mean! Well want to watch that programme on Thursday night about the family who film their own downfall, looks mint.

It's a docu-film from 2003 and it's called Capturing the Friedmans

It won tons of awards when it came out and is very disturbing. Worth watching.

I digress... back to heroin and Channel 4
  • Options
    colin and edith on radio1 are really slagging this show off! the old 'oh what has tv come to' argument.
  • Options
    I found the concept of the show really good and because its the area of work I want to go into I thought it would be educational. But I feel the whole programme has been badly made, the addiction psychologist is dire and the presenter is cack. It's focussing more on 'entertainment' that getting the message about heroin and the detox process across. Do they expect these people to leave the clinic today or tomorrow and be fine because they have detoxed?For me they haven't concentrated on the rehabilitation side of drug misuse.
  • Options
    Its shite. It presents a very narrow medical model of addiction that is outdated and useless. Those poor bastards haven't a chance without proper aftercare and rehab. Its not good enough to merely detox - thats the easy part. Staying off drugs is the hard part. If you've been taking opiates for 15 years, thats 15 years of not properly feeling, not growing and relying on drugs for your good feelings. People are often stuck at the emotional age when they first started seriously using, they now have to learn to grow up, to cope with actually feeling and hurting for the first time in a long time. Without proper support, rehab and therapy, I'll bet they'll be bang on it again in a month. :(:( :mad:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its shite. It presents a very narrow medical model of addiction that is outdated and useless. Those poor bastards haven't a chance without proper aftercare and rehab. Its not good enough to merely detox - thats the easy part. Staying off drugs is the hard part. If you've been taking opiates for 15 years, thats 15 years of not properly feeling, not growing and relying on drugs for your good feelings. People are often stuck at the emotional age when they first started seriously using, they now have to learn to grow up, to cope with actually feeling and hurting for the first time in a long time. Without proper support, rehab and therapy, I'll bet they'll be bang on it again in a month. :(:( :mad:
    They are going to be taking naltrexone(SP?) so if they do use it will have no effect on them.
  • Options
    They can choose not to take the naltrexone. Thats not the point anyhow - its likely they could switch to crack or alcohol. Once detoxed, its about learning to deal with your emotions and with life without drugs to dull the pain. Thats tough, even tougher without rehab or aftercare.
  • Options
    i didn't like it last night :no: it was just them being sick over and over with the camera zooming in on it.