Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Cot death' doctor wins appeal against GMC

Clicky

I'm not exactly convinced justice has been done here...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven’t read up extensively on this but I think it’s probably the right decision. You could say it’s a mistake on part of the jury and the wider public that they unconditionally accept expert opinion but essentially people have to be able to give their professional opinion ‘without fear of retribution’ as the man in question says himself. People do make mistakes, if experts and such are aware that severe repercussions will follow if their opinion is later mistaken on a whole range of issues we’re going to be pretty uninformed.

And since this paediatrician has done a huge amount of excellent and useful work it would seem wrong to strike him off the medical register for giving his professional opinion that turned out to be mistaken. (Already there are a shortage of people going into paediatrics because the kind of pressure paediatricians are under to get it right all the time).
  • Options
    Its a hard one - because even while it was an 'expert' opinion it seems to have been a very poor one.

However, he gave it in good faith and it would be a worrying trend for people to be prosecuted/struck off because they voiced something to the best of their knowledge which turns out to be wrong. Its not like he committed deliberate perjury.

That said we need to look at expert witnesses. If they are giving opinions on things which are unprooved or potentially controversial the jury does need to know that. Expert opinion on expert opinion perhaps?
  • Options
    I am still in a quandry with my opinion on this case and the wider implications.
  • Options
    Without knowing loads about this, wasn't the initial controversy over some statistics he gave as evidence at the child killing childs. Are paediatricians expected to be statistics 'experts'?
  • Options
    Not justice. When you give an "expert" opinion, you have a duty to make sure you are informed.

He suggested a 73m to one chance when 200 to one was closer to fact. That is misleading - not deliberately but it's is negligent IMHO.
  • Options
    That's quite a difference in odds!

73m to 1 makes it practically impossible. 200 to 1 is perfectly possible if not very common.
  • Options
    I think there was a strong case that he should never be an expert witness again and that any research he produced should be looked at again. But he wasn't a danger to his actual patients, he didn't defraud the NHS or fondle someone whilst giving them a breast examine - so being struck off seemed to be the wrong punishment to me.

That said as a jury member it must be that you place weight on the opinions of the expert witness, simply because they are supposed to know what they're talking about. In which case the expert witness has a duty to give them the facts, tell them if they're not sure and make clear if something is open to interpretation. And if they're going to quote stats its probably best to give accurate ones rather than some you've quickly calculated on the back of an envelope.
  • Options
    What a shock. Judge Defends Doctor Shocker!

Anyone who's surprised, go and look how the judicial system treated the Thalidomide children.

Meadow should be in prison for every day he put innocent women behind bars. He should be spending the rest of his life in prison. He has yet to issue a sincere apology, he "regrets" it but he should be on his hands and knees begging for those innocent women to forgive him.

Juries are not medical experts. They believe- quite rightly- what the medical evidence does say. Meadow lied on the witness box, on oath, and should have been prosecuted for perverting the course of public justice, and should have been prosecuted for perjury and contempt of court.

That that creature is still walking freely is nothing short of a disgrace. That he is given license to jail more innocent women is a national shame. The High Court has, yet again, sided with an evil liar, instead of putting him where he belongs- behind bars.

The fact that that monster- I refuse to call Meadow a human being- does not have the gall to admit that he has destroyed scores of innocent lives, and destroyed them irrevocably says everything about it. The creature has no shame, it would be a disgrace to humanity if it was for one second a human being. It still thinks it is right, and that is the most sickening thing of all.
  • Options
    Is it just me who sees parallels with the Total Smoking Ban Passed ! thread ? :chin: