Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the end of cornershops - what does it mean?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4714572.stm

so does anyone actually care that all the little shops will be gone and replaced by faceless corporations like Tescos and Walmart? I\'ve been reading Captive State by George Monbiot, and the popular argument given by supermarkets is that they offer a wider variety and more choice to the consumer, which at face value seems true enough, but from reading the book its quite clear to me that once the whole food chain is controlled by a handful of huge supermarkets, what you in fact get is less choice and less variety.......what does everyone else think?

Also the article mentions a parliamentary report which claims the erosion of small independent shops equates to the erosion of small communities, which I think is something that is massively overlooked in today\'s society......i don\'t think it\'s a big leap to say that no sense of community spirit results in stuff like vandalism and the general \'don\'t give a shit\' attitude that we are seeing in today\'s youth.........i myself notice a huge difference in rural and urban areas having moved to london 4 years ago from the country, sure you get vandals in the sticks but in general everyone has a lot more respect for each other, you don\'t get fuckers littering everywhere, etc etc.........i\'m not suggesting for a minute this is all due to our cornershops disappearing, but i do think it\'s all quite intricately linked, and this is just one aspect.........what are your views?

Comments

• Options
    Not too bothered. I like to be able to go to Tesco after work and get a drink and something to eat, maybe browse through the magazines. There's a local shop near me, and it's hit and miss as to whether it's gonna be open most of the time. You pay twice as much for things, and there's less selection. So no, I don't care that much. Might care more if I lived quite far away from Tesco/Asda though.
  • Options
    It's not good news in many different ways.

I'm going to let somebody else explain for me. I read this article in the Easyjet inflight magazine last month, with one writer lobbying against big supermarkets and the other one in favour.

I agree entirely with the one expressing her opposition to them.

http://easyjetinflight.com/features/2006/jan/thebigdebate.html
  • Options
    Like everyone it seems I don’t like supermarkets but I use them. Being able to go to a 24 hour Tesco really late can be useful. And it’s cheap, a few simple things at a corner shop more often than not will prove a lot more expensive than at the supermarket. Supermarkets give free parking, are usually pretty cheap and have long opening hours. I wonder how many of us who criticise the supermarkets would miss them if we didn’t have them? I know I would.

However, a lot of supermarkets aren’t nice. Take fair trade stuff for instance, while most people think buying fair trade stuff is doing something noble and good (and it is to an extent) the supermarkets make more profit on fair trade bananas for instance than usual bananas by hiking up the price a bit more and getting a fatter profit margin. Hence if supermarkets are making extra profit out of us when we buy fair trade wouldn’t it make more sense to buy the normal stuff and give the difference (which would be greater) to a development charity working in the third world?

Regardless of the perils of supermarkets this government isn’t going to do anything to curb their power and nor would a future Conservative one. And while people are getting concerned about the power of supermarkets people aren’t going to start doing all their shopping at the local Spar. But it would seem 'ethical' supermarkets, namely Waitrose are going to benefit.
  • Options
    It's shit.

Tesco, Walmart etc corner the market (to a greater degree than they already have)...any diversity or choice in shopping in the community disappears...said monopolising supermarkets hike their prices and reduce the quality and range of their service. Everyone is essentially fucked, but have no one but themselves to blame because they were rubbing their hands together with glee when the proposals for a shiny new supermarket plonked through their letterbox.

This exact thing is happening where my parents live in Newcastle, I really don't like it and am planning to protest it.
  • Options
    big supermarkets and other huge retailers already means that every town you visit is a clone of every other town you visited.
    when the big boys move in ...especialy in small towns ...the town centres or high streets slowly get boarded up ...creating ghost towns.
    more choice ...less oportunity.

thousand upon thousands of small family bizz gone ...never to return.
    none of you will be leaving school/uni ...with the thought of opening your own shop of any kind would you?

soon ...the same thing will happen with tradesmen.
    there will be no self employed/small businesses before long.
  • Options
    while i'm at it ...look what happened to family run cafes ...almost gone!
    why?
    cos of the great cloning machine ...mc dees ...strbucks subway ...same boring old crap the length and breadth of the land.
  • Options
    Damn those shops for providing a greater variety of cheaper products. Cunts.
  • Options
    But at what price in the long-term? Try and see beyond your next Smartprice Lasagne.
  • Options

Yes, because aspartame, hydrogenated oil and all the other crap they use to drop the cost are such good quality, aren't they?

There's nothing like a chicken that's been shot up with antibiotics, kept in a tiny cage in misery and then sprayed with chemicals that are poisonous, frozen, thawed out and microwaved, is there?
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    But at what price in the long-term? Try and see beyond your next Smartprice Lasagne.

I cook my own meals with ingredients mostly brought from small shops.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, because aspartame, hydrogenated oil and all the other crap they use to drop the cost are such good quality, aren't they?

There's nothing like a chicken that's been shot up with antibiotics, kept in a tiny cage in misery and then sprayed with chemicals that are poisonous, frozen, thawed out and microwaved, is there?

If people wanted to give up cheap convenient shite like that they wouldnt shop there would they?
  • Options
    If people wanted to give up cheap convenient shite like that they wouldnt shop there would they?

True. People are getting what they want. I'm just pointing out that what they are getting is shite.

The way things are going you'll also be eating processed shite from a giant out of town monster mart within 20 years. Same old problem when you let the state interfere.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

Except they don't really. My local market is far cheaper than Tescos or Sainsburys for fresh fruit, veg and things like tinned tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans, rice etc.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

Errr...some people can't afford anything else.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Except they don't really. My local market is far cheaper than Tescos or Sainsburys for fresh fruit, veg and things like tinned tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans, rice etc.

So do the shops near me but super markets are alot cheaper for a very large variety of packaged products, meat, alcohol and processed stuff.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Definitely! I was making a chilli the other week and my jaw almost hit the floor when I saw how much Mr. Tesco wanted for his kidney beans.

I also balked at their 70p (or whatever) swedes, anyone who has ever been to a fruit and veg stall would know that prices of supermarket fresh produce are extortionate.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    So do the shops near me but super markets are alot cheaper for a very large variety of packaged products, meat, alcohol and processed stuff.

Alcohol is cheaper in my local offie, meat in my local butcher.
  • Options
    I have never found a butcher with cheaper meat than a supermarket. All the ones i have found that are close sell meat of a quality almost as bad as a supermarket. That could be because you live in a large city however.
  • Options
    i think corner shops are really expensive so i don't really care. i would be bothered though if the same thing happened to the green grocers.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Definitely! I was making a chilli the other week and my jaw almost hit the floor when I saw how much Mr. Tesco wanted for his kidney beans.

I also balked at their 70p (or whatever) swedes, anyone who has ever been to a fruit and veg stall would know that prices of supermarket fresh produce are extortionate.
    can you believe this?
    cabbages in morrisons yesterday were 99p!

35p at the local farmers market.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hello no! Corner shops are needed. They are often the only places open late to buy smokes or a lighter without going right outof town to a 24/7 petrol station or the 24 hour Tesco, that is ALWAYS outside town. The intown one shuts, the bastards.

Corner Shops for ever!
  • Options
    can you believe this?
    cabbages in morrisons yesterday were 99p!

35p at the local farmers market.

I keep telling myself it has to be a joke.

I've started growing my own cress, now...step one towards complete subsistence living. :thumb:
  • Options
    More faceless and fucking boring, inconvenient town centres.
    Although Waitrose seem to be pretty good with locating in the middle of towns.

Supermarkets are all well and good if you have a car, but bollocks all use otherwise.
  • Options
    Local shops cater to local tastes, they remember who you are if you're a regular, you can sometimes get a tab, they'll get stuff in for you if you ask. Supermarkets do none of that.
  • Options
    B-b-but if you're loyal to the big guns you can get a shiny Tesco Clubcard, binding you to them through endless mailouts of vouchers for 50p off Actimel. :heart::p
  • Options
    hurrah
  • Options
    do you count small chains like 'one-stop' as corner shops or is it just the lil independent ones where the family live upstairs?