Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Uncle & Niece - Limits?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend is 27. His niece (his, much older, half brother's daughter) is 16. They've always had a close uncle/niece relationship - he's always been the one who's hand she's held as they've gone on family outings as she's been growing up and now they often share a sofa, leaning on each other when watching tv or a film.

Just lately, she seems to have 'taken a shine to him' in a different manner, and has kissed him several times as they've been watching tv and once when she went into his room to wake him up. Thing is, he's not exactly stopped her immediately either..

I've told him time and time again that it's wrong (isn't it?!) and that he wouldn't live much longer if his brother found out, but he still won't stop seeing her. I've told him to distant himself from her etc etc.

Any more advice or thoughts? :( I need something to make him see sense!!

Comments

• Options
    It's probably just a crush. He should nip it in the bud though...
  • Options
    That's covered by something called forbidden degrees of relationship and I'm sure he'd be in a lot of shit if it came to light. Basically it's illegal.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with an uncle or niece holding hands, or maybe kissing each other on the cheek every now and then. But there are limits, and if they haven't been crossed already, they are periliously close to doing so.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    That's covered by something called forbidden degrees of relationship... Basically it's illegal.

Ah ha, thank you! I thought it must have a name or something!
    stargalaxy wrote:
    ..kissing each other on the cheek..

Oh yes, it was more than just on the cheek!
  • Options
    ewwww! :yuck:

Sorry ... I have nothing constructive to say :p
  • Options
    Oh yes, it was more than just on the cheek!
    Now that is definitely crossing the line.
  • Options
    It is officially incest, because of what Miff said.
  • Options
    Oh dear God, this is just awful and creepy and sick! I'm sorry for being such a child about it but it creeps me out.

Yep its incest, she is a blood relative after all, hell I wouldn't even act like that with my non-blood relatives.

:yuck:
  • Options
    well, it's not as simple as blood-relatives. Incest extends to step-families in sme circumstances but not to cousins.
  • Options
    R u sure? I always thought it was only incest if you were blood related because I'm sure you can marry your step brother etc.

Oh well, its all a bit creepy to me. x
  • Options
    myhumps wrote:
    R u sure? I always thought it was only incest if you were blood related because I'm sure you can marry your step brother etc.

I don't think you can marry them/have a relationship if you have lived together when you were younger as brother and sister, but say your parents split up and remarried when you were like 20 or something and you just happend to take a shine to your parents parteners kid, thats all legal and what not, but i'm not 100% sure.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    myhumps wrote:

Here's TheSite's lowdown on fancying a family member.
  • Options
    myhumps wrote:
    x

It is incest because its "half" uncle and not "step" uncle.
    Basically "half"uncle means the two brothers share 1 parent. A "step" uncle would mean the two brothers would instead mean 1 parents from each married.
    So, half uncle means they are blood related.
  • Options
    half brother eh? hmmmm I guess there is some blood there.

its interesting as a woman I know who I talk to on the next had sex with her uncle and another girl on a confessions website admitted to sleeping with her uncle. In these cases they thought it wa sok, tho they did both keep it secret obviously as it was taboo and family wouldnt approve.

The whole thing about incest is weird. I mean in the case of biological reproduction its worng, because it produces deftective offspring. Although we are always being told nowadays that sex isn't about or just about reproduction.

religion dictated alot of our sexual taboos, although interestingly in the Bible, incest between father and daughter goes unpunished.

the girl is 16, legal age and the guy is 27, big age gap but not like he's an old man and plenty of people on here hav ebeen champoining big age gaps.

I guess its their decision although legally I am sure it probably is illegal.

I dont agree with the new law that makes relations between step bors/sis illegal mind.
  • Options
    lausie wrote:
    It is incest because its "half" uncle and not "step" uncle.
    Basically "half"uncle means the two brothers share 1 parent. A "step" uncle would mean the two brothers would instead mean 1 parents from each married.
    So, half uncle means they are blood related.

Yeah I know, thats what I was saying. I was going off topic a bit because of something katralla said, I just never thought of incest as being non-blood relatives too.

I read the link Helen posted and it seems in some circumstances 'steps' are out of bounds too, see I learn something new every day here!lol.

But like I said before I just can't imagine get kinky with any family members, step, half, or full blood anyway. :yuck:
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    well, it's not as simple as blood-relatives. Incest extends to step-families in sme circumstances but not to cousins.
    I've read this vague "in some cases" before and have tried to look it up without much luck. Does anybody know the actual law of which step-relatives are illegal?
  • Options
    I don't think it is as simple as a straight line. It depends on whether they have grown up in the same household, as brother and sister. What age they were when introduced, etc, etc.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I've read this vague "in some cases" before and have tried to look it up without much luck. Does anybody know the actual law of which step-relatives are illegal?

Step-relatives may marry provided they are at least 21 years of age. The younger of the couple must at no time before the age of 18 have lived in the same household as the older person. Neither must they have been treated as a child of the older person's family.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I dont agree with the new law that makes relations between step bors/sis illegal mind.

Uhoh :nervous:
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I'm not sure if I agree with it or not to be honest. I wonder why it was passed.

Some people never truely accept their step relatives as being relatives and therefore it makes sense that they could marry.

But then sometimes things are just weird and stuff with step-brothers and sisters. With my step-brother he wanted me in that way and thought that us not being blood relatives made it okay. But until then I had thought of him as my brother. It confused me the whole situation really.
  • Options
    I just read the link Helen posted (thanks!). The CAB page reads ".. men may not marry.. [long list].. half brother's daughter".

Obviously marriage doesn't actually come into it, but it still gives me proof that the whole thing's wrong!
  • Options
    I just read the link Helen posted (thanks!). The CAB page reads ".. men may not marry.. [long list].. half brother's daughter".

Obviously marriage doesn't actually come into it, but it still gives me proof that the whole thing's wrong!
    Great-grandfather isn't on the list though :shocking:

And it is okay to marry your adoptive brothers and sisters (which is surprising given the step-brother/ step-sister laws as you would think the same logic applies)
  • Options
    regardless of the legality, she's his brothers daughter, and he should treat her like a niece and not a girlfriend!!
  • Options
    Well there no blood there so I se eno probs with step siblings.

We all live in incest risk society.

I mean how many millions of anyomous sperm donation shas there been and anyomous adoptions?? How do you or anyone know i fthey could be getting it on with a relative?

take me. My mums biological father left when she was young and we never stayed in touch with his family. Last year or the year before my granmother did get back in touch with them and we met my mothers father, his brother and his son. My grandfathers, brothers son told me that I have hundres of cousins all over leeds and the uk. Now due to some incidences we have no lost touch aain with that side of the family.

But I could go out on the town or wherever, pull g agirl or even fall for her and be having a relationship with ehr and she might be my cousin. I wouldnt know at all.

Its all a risk.

Wasn't there an epidsode of Kilroy where they did blood relations having relationships??

Incest is taboo but I rekcon its more common then people think.
  • Options
    i read in a newspaper problem section the other day....about a women in her 30s who had a baby boy when she was 15 and gave it up for adoption. When he was 18 he found her and they had an incest relationship and have a baby together, and were hoping for another one!
    Are they not tightly wrapped? Fair enough he may not feel like a son....but he is! And 15 years younger...just :no: :yuck:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i read in a newspaper problem section the other day....about a women in her 30s who had a baby boy when she was 15 and gave it up for adoption. When he was 18 he found her and they had an incest relationship and have a baby together, and were hoping for another one!
    Are they not tightly wrapped? Fair enough he may not feel like a son....but he is! And 15 years younger...just :no: :yuck:

If you're on about the article I think you're talking about - didn't they get done for this or something?

That's just sick and wrong - I wonder how many of their relatives are talking to them now...
  • Options
    If you're on about the article I think you're talking about - didn't they get done for this or something?

That's just sick and wrong - I wonder how many of their relatives are talking to them now...
    i don't know, it was in the problems page near the back where people write into the agony aunt
  • Options
    Wasn't their first kid handicapped, and they still want another? or is that a myth.
  • Options
    There was a fascinating article about this in today's Metro.

It's not sick, but it is wrong and it is illegal. It's often found, two people feel very close to each other because of being relations, and when in the adult this feeling can often be interpreted as sexual because for most adults intimacy = sex.

If you haven't lived as family, then natural barriers to incest are not formed in the brain. So when you meet someone who is very similar to you, you like them and want to be intimate with them, and that feeling can be interpreted as sexual. People often fancy people who look like them, and who looks more like you than family?

He does need to keep away from her until it passes, if he cannot trust himself to not do something he would regret for a very very long time. It's not really his fault, its not her fault, and it is understandable, but it cannot be allowed to happen.
  • Options
    Now thats just nasty, the pervy uncle should stop it right away....you should tell someone in the family, eugh.
This discussion has been closed.