Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What no 'British soldiers in abuse and beatings shocker' thread?

First man arrested after video shows squaddies kicking shit out of civilians

Even though one prays that such incidents are isolated, I cannot help but think that the cases that find the public domain are only the tip of the iceberg...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What gets me is how they can have thought it was a good idea to film it ?
  • Options
    For the same reason they think it's a good idea to take pictures. It's all "a laugh" innit? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Thought those pictures that were taken were fakes made by the Daily mirror resulting in the Editor losing his job and several arrests and prosecutions by TA members who were responsible?

Anyway, i reckon it is an isolated incident, though a very very bad one!
  • Options
    There was more than one incident though... remember the squaddies "hilariously" lifting an Iraqi with a forklift truck?

I don't think it's widespread but there must be a number of such incidents we simply don't know about, and won't unless someone leaks the images to the press (if there were pictures taken in the first place, which in the immense majority of such cases I'd imagine there weren't).
  • Options
    Disturbing and isolated incidents happen and always have in these situations. In previous conflicts/wars however such events weren’t widely reported – the constant trickle of news we have now 24 hours a day and the technology that exists to easily capture events on camera means we hear about this kind of stuff a lot quicker and see concrete proof. (Although not always the case as ‘concrete’ evidence can be invented as the perfidious Daily Mirror displayed, that the ‘newspaper’ had the selfishness to fail to accurately verify photographs smearing British soldiers and putting them at unnecessary risk was disgusting).

These latest allegations and the pictures shown on the news of this abuse are disturbing and severe, those responsible will deservedly be punished. However, they should not take away from the more widespread horrific abuse carried out by terrorists in Iraq almost daily; likewise isolated and exceptional cases of abuse should not detract from the overall aim in Iraq.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Stupidty reigns. Stupid to do it... stupid to film it!

Happy Slapping culture gone too far?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Happy Slapping culture gone too far?
    An interesting point... you're not far wrong there.
  • Options
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

So many people get involved in the tat-for-tat mentality. It's very difficult for some people to be forgiving and stop a situation escalating further. So I imagine a lot of those voters were thinking, "this Iraqi tried to kill my country's soldiers - he deserved a good kicking".

In other words, in many people's eyes two wrongs do indeed make a right....or to be more precise, three wrongs, four wrongs, five wrongs...etc. It's just the same as how we see suicide bombing as barbaric, but they see it as freedom fighting in revenge for our occupancy of their country.

I'm not saying this view is right by the way, just illustrating how people can be very open-minded to such violence when they feel they have been badly treated in some way themselves.
  • Options
    Don't know about tip of the iceberg, but there's certainly been some court-martials which have hardly hit the headlines (admittedly for lesser instances).

I'm not sure its happy slapping gone too far, more a case than if people have just thrown a grenade at you you may be a little pissed at the fact.

That's not to say its right (and if one of my boys had decided to give a prisoner a kicking I'd have had him charged within seconds), but at the same time its not soldiers going out and picking up random Iraqis and beating them for a laff.
  • Options

These latest allegations and the pictures shown on the news of this abuse are disturbing and severe, those responsible will deservedly be punished. However, they should not take away from the more widespread horrific abuse carried out by terrorists in Iraq almost daily; likewise isolated and exceptional cases of abuse should not detract from the overall aim in Iraq.

The point is though, we and the US are there because we claim the moral high ground. We claim to not imprison our enemies without trial or torture and beat them. We claim to in fact stand against all those things and to depose regimes that do. In reality of course, we do all these things, thus appearing like utter hypocrites and acting as recruiters for these terrorist organisations...
  • Options
    The point is though, we and the US are there because we claim the moral high ground. We claim to not imprison our enemies without trial or torture and beat them. We claim to in fact stand against all those things and to depose regimes that do. In reality of course, we do all these things, thus appearing like utter hypocrites and acting as recruiters for these terrorist organisations...

Why are you identifying with people you have never met in this way?

To put it another way, what's this "we" shit?

I thought you couldn't blame the group for the actions of a minority, or does that only apply to special cases such as favoured minorities, sexual groups and stuff like that?
  • Options
    Regardless of whether it's an isolated incident or not, it will certainly serve only to make relations with coalition troops and Iraqi civilians to worse
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Why are you identifying with people you have never met in this way?

To put it another way, what's this "we" shit?
    Because we identify ourselves as being members of a nation (or group). Nations might not exist for you, but the fact of the matter is that many of us recognized them as actually entities, which we are a part of. Because we are members of these nations we share some responsibility.
  • Options
    Remember the slogan "not in my name" klintock? Like it or not, these things are done in our name and make us bigger targets for terrorist nutters.
  • Options
    Because we identify ourselves as being members of a nation (or group). Nations might not exist for you, but the fact of the matter is that many of us recognized them as actually entities, which we are a part of. Because we are members of these nations we share some responsibility.

Do that voluntarily do you? Or were you taken from your family as a child and told that's how things are?

Si it's somehow your fault that some total strangers kicked the fuck out of some other total strangers?

Man that's a great trick! Perhaps you could get other people to pay for your shit, use them as an excuse to violently dominate others and excuse your own failings in general...oh wait.....nevermind.

And you think the solution to having someone else claim they are acting in your interests is to try and deal with them? What the fuck are you on? All that does is lend them credibility.
    Remember the slogan "not in my name" klintock? Like it or not, these things are done in our name and make us bigger targets for terrorist nutters.

Exactly. Playing any part in the political process, from paying tax, taking dole money, voting, writing to your Mp or whatnot is only proving that you are culpable. How can you say you are an "innocent civilian" if you voted the fuckers in, pay their wages and reap benefits?
  • Options
    While I obviously disapprove of their behaviour, if it turns out to be real and all that. Doesn't it bother anyone else that this sort of money-making publishing by the NOTW puts the rest of the troops out there in danger?
  • Options
    While I obviously disapprove of their behaviour, if it turns out to be real and all that. Doesn't it bother anyone else that this sort of money-making publishing by the NOTW puts the rest of the troops out there in danger?

No.

The publicity didn't do any damage, the people over there already knew about this. It's not like they people kicked about will have just walked off and said fuck all is it. What did the damage was kicking the fuck out of people, not publicising it.

In fact, as there are "concerned citizens" now aware of what is being done "in their name" it's apparently likely to decrease the chance of it happening again. (Yeah right :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Slightly cynical about the motives of the person who whistle blew. if he was that concerned why not go to the RMP, rather than go to the NOTW. It couldn't be because RMP doesn't give out nice big cheques would it?
  • Options
    Slightly cynical about the motives of the person who whistle blew. if he was that concerned why not go to the RMP, rather than go to the NOTW. It couldn't be because RMP doesn't give out nice big cheques would it?

Same difference, they find out both ways, and one way you get paid and theres no chance of a cover up.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

It bothers me that this sort of behaviour puts me in danger of being blown up on the tube by some nutter.
  • Options
    theres allways someone who abuses power.
  • Options
    I guess context is something which the journos don't care about.

Nor the fact that this story is two years old.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It bothers me that this sort of behaviour puts me in danger of being blown up on the tube by some nutter.

Because fundamentalist Muslim terrorists only started blowing things up after the US/UK invaded Iraq... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Because fundamentalist Muslim terrorists only started blowing things up after the US/UK invaded Iraq... :rolleyes:

Yup, they did. Don't be a twat, although I expect it from you. You know full well, allthe invasion did... was convinve more people that the terrorist were right.

Terrorist have fuck all to do with a country... they don't associate themselves.. they just fight for their cause. Go wherever the fight takes them
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yup, they did. Don't be a twat, although I expect it from you. You know full well, allthe invasion did... was convinve more people that the terrorist were right.

Terrorist have fuck all to do with a country... they don't associate themselves.. they just fight for their cause. Go wherever the fight takes them

Grow up. Anyway lets take a look at a list of attacks carried out by al qaeda before US/UK invaded Iraq:

1993 (Feb.): Bombing of World Trade Center (WTC); 6 killed.
    1993 (Oct.): Killing of U.S. soldiers in Somalia.
    1996 (June): Truck bombing at Khobar Towers barracks in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, killed 19 Americans.
    1998 (Aug.): Bombing of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania; 224 killed, including 12 Americans.
    1999 (Dec.): Plot to bomb millennium celebrations in Seattle foiled when customs agents arrest an Algerian smuggling explosives into the U.S.
    2000 (Oct.): Bombing of the USS Cole in port in Yemen; 17 U.S. sailors killed.
    2001 (Sept.): Destruction of WTC; attack on Pentagon. Total dead 2,992.
    2001 (Dec.): Man tried to denote shoe bomb on flight from Paris to Miami.
    2002 (April): Explosion at historic synagogue in Tunisia left 21 dead, including 14 German tourists.
    2002 (May): Car exploded outside hotel in Karachi, Pakistan, killing 14, including 11 French citizens.
    2002 (June): Bomb exploded outside American consulate in Karachi, Pakistan, killing 12.
    2002 (Oct.): Boat crashed into oil tanker off Yemen coast, killing 1.
    2002 (Oct.): Nightclub bombings in Bali, Indonesia, killed 202, mostly Australian citizens.
    2002 (Nov.): Suicide attack on a hotel in Mombasa, Kenya, killed 16.
    (source)

While the targets were mostly American I think it’s pretty naïve to believe that we only became a target after the Iraq war. Britain - close ally to the US; the US the biggest investor in Britain and vice versa, US military bases dotted around Britain; how could we not be a target?

And even if the Iraq war has made us more vulnerable to terrorist attacks – and it has to an extent, should we allow the threat of terrorism to dictate our foreign policy? Should we start advocating the destruction of Israel to appease fundamentalist Muslims? (Well I know some here would suggest we should) What about banning alcohol? Executing gays? I mean as decadent, sinful and morally corrupt Westerners surely if we all change our ways and become extreme Muslims we’ll reduce the terrorist threat?
  • Options
    And even if the Iraq war has made us more vulnerable to terrorist attacks – and it has to an extent,
    Thankyou for agreeing with my point.
    should we allow the threat of terrorism to dictate our foreign policy?
    I don't see how invading Iraq helped in any way - Saddam executed severall many terrorists. The Islamic Extremists hated Saddam. I fail to see any reason. And indeed the states that fund terrorism appear to be getting off scott free. There IS no war on Terror, in any real way.
    Should we start advocating the destruction of Israel to appease fundamentalist Muslims? (Well I know some here would suggest we should) What about banning alcohol? Executing gays? I mean as decadent, sinful and morally corrupt Westerners surely if we all change our ways and become extreme Muslims we’ll reduce the terrorist threat?
    Executing Gays would certainly cheer the KKK up. They also advocated the actions of HAMAS by the way. As for Israel, we could show Muslims we DO enforce the laws we make by actually applying them to the repeatadley law breaking Israel, and not just the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Grow up. Anyway lets take a look at a list of attacks carried out by al qaeda before US/UK invaded Iraq:

Total dead -

Not even 5,000 in a decade. I'm not asked to give up my liberties to save the millions of people who have died in car accidents, so why the fuck would this inconsequential threat to my existence warrant it?

I'm more likely to die by lightning for fucks sake.

Just a thought, but perhaps it's got fuck all to do with terrorism.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Do that voluntarily do you? Or were you taken from your family as a child and told that's how things are?
    Voluntarily, I'm patriotic to the core, if I weren't I'd go to a country that better suited me. Claiming that I don't act of free will is a tad insulting.
    Si it's somehow your fault that some total strangers kicked the fuck out of some other total strangers?
    yes, it is partially my responsibility, as it is of all citizens of the country they represent. Course I am not going to say that I, or anyone besides him should be put on trial. But like it or not he is a representative of the country he comes from.
    Man that's a great trick! Perhaps you could get other people to pay for your shit, use them as an excuse to violently dominate others and excuse your own failings in general...oh wait.....nevermind.
    funny how governments have a tendency to do that isn't it?
    And you think the solution to having someone else claim they are acting in your interests is to try and deal with them? What the fuck are you on? All that does is lend them credibility.
    ya lost me, how does punishing someone for a wrong lend them credibility?
    Exactly. Playing any part in the political process, from paying tax, taking dole money, voting, writing to your Mp or whatnot is only proving that you are culpable. How can you say you are an "innocent civilian" if you voted the fuckers in, pay their wages and reap benefits?
    I can't claim to be an innocent civilian, that is the point. We share some responsibility. Course we aren't exactly reaping any benefits now are we?
  • Options
    but events like this certainly encourage people to join terrorist groups.