Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to do in Bristol?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
As I've said on the boards several times by now, I'm thinking of going to UWE in Bristol this September. The open day I've chosen to go to falls on March 18th. Now, my mum suggested to me that I go down there for a few days. (i.e, arrive the day before, and leave on the Sunday, like I used to when visiting London) I've got money worries about this, but that's for me to sort out. It's a good idea, I think I'm going to do that.

I'll be wanting to get a good idea of what this city's like - after all, I don't want to spend three years in a city that I hate! Anyway, does anyone know of any good places to stay (cheap too ideally!) and what do you suggest I see or do down there?

Any replies, much appreciated.
Danny, xxx
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most cities have their redeeming features. I'm sure you could even have fun in Portsmouth.

It's worth visiting...I visited here before I went to uni, and it was worth it (if only to know where the best Waterstones in the world is).

Just have a wander around. Scope it out.
  • Options
    Hi, im in my third year at UWE and bristol is absolutely awesome, even once the hetic first year is over with theres still plenty to do and enough not to get bored. Not really sure where to stay for cheap, although there is a travelodge or holiday inn (cant remember which one) right in the centre, bout a 15min walk from the train station.

There's plenty of shopping around for during the day, park street especially. Also you can find some relly cool little boutique's up in clifton, but they can quite hard to find if you don't know where your going.

There's the AT Bristol complex, basically like a massive exhibition about bristol and the surrounding areas so that'll prob be able to give you a good idea of the sort of stuff around, quite abit of history in that aswell so i've heard, havnt been myself tho.

As for studenty stuff, there's 40,000 of us down here so you'll never be stuck on your own. I found that none of us had any idea about where anything was or what there was to do but you soon pick it up and find stuff, everyone's in the same boat so half the fun of starting uni is exploring the area and discovering new things, enjoy!
  • Options
    I'll try searching the Internet for some places to stay. There were some weblinks on the UWE website, so I'll give those a try. I'm just hoping to go to get some kind of feel of what the place is like. One reason I chose Bristol was because of the highly-recommended social scene there, I'm quite a shy person, I'm hoping to use this as a way to force myself to get out there.

40,000 students?! Bloody hell, that's far more than I imagined, even bearing in mind there are two universities in the city. I've just got to make sure the money is right before booking anything now. Thanks for your advice.
  • Options
    Do what the locals do and smoke loads of crack.

Seriously though, dont worry about it, there will be thousands of new students in exactly the same situation as you. Get stuck in during Freshers week and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Seriously though, dont worry about it, there will be thousands of new students in exactly the same situation as you. Get stuck in during Freshers week and you'll be fine.
    I just fancy going there beforehand so I have some idea what I'm getting myself into.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I just fancy going there beforehand so I have some idea what I'm getting myself into.

Its not the other side of the World, its a small city, what are you expecting?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its not the other side of the World, its a small city, what are you expecting?
    Something very different to what I'm used to now.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Something very different to what I'm used to now.

Well thats what you want isnt it? Though you're not a drinker are you? That might prove to be a little difficult.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Well thats what you want isnt it? Though you're not a drinker are you? That might prove to be a little difficult.
    By drinker, do you mean whether I like to get drunk?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    By drinker, do you mean whether I like to get drunk?

I didnt mean do you drink water no.

I mean do you like going to the pub for the evening, a very large chunk of student entertainment is based around the joys of alcohol.

(but then you're on med's which probably shouldnt be mixed with alcohol arent you?)
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    (but then you're on med's which probably shouldnt be mixed with alcohol arent you?)
    Medication for dealing with schizophrenia, yes. Mixing them with alcohol is "strongly disencouraged" according to the pack.
  • Options
    Bristol's wicked, good times to be had. Chat to people in the day, look at all the fliers an stuff- there's always loads goin on.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Medication for dealing with schizophrenia, yes. Mixing them with alcohol is "strongly disencouraged" according to the pack.

Take them on their word, thats a seriously bad idea.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Take them on their word, thats a seriously bad idea.
    I've learnt that, believe me. :(
  • Options
    you can still go to pubs etc though as it is one of the easiest ways to meet people, i think. as for what to do in bristol, i havent been for years but from what i can remember it was a nice place, good shopping etc and with it being so big im sure you'll find something to match your tastes.
  • Options
    I'm sure you could even have fun in Portsmouth.

Scientific research has concluded that such a thing is a complete impossibility - such is Portsmouth's shittiness.

I go to Bristol (University of Bristol - not UWE) and there's far too much stuff for a pithy post so if you really want some info, PM me and I will happily oblige.
  • Options
    I'm also at Bristol and I had a larvely day off the other day. Morning - York cafe for a 99p fry-up breakfast (it's up in clifton, by the student's union). Then down Park Street for a nose around the shops, lunch at the Buttery (little shed-like sandwich shop down by the docks where you can have a bacon butty and watch the boats) followed by a wander around the Arnolifini art gallery, a nose around St Nick's market (on Corn Street) and drinks in the evening at The Woods. Then there's a little stall by the waterfront that does crepes late at night, so I sat down by the river with a chocolate crepe and watched the drunken students walk home and put bubble bath in the fountains......
  • Options
    York Cafe = :yuck: x 100

It's 99p for a reason. I suppose the good thing is if you are hungover and most people there are, it will clear your stomach and bowels in a matter of minutes.
  • Options
    I go to Bristol (University of Bristol - not UWE) and there's far too much stuff for a pithy post so if you really want some info, PM me and I will happily oblige.
    Posts can hold up to 10,000 characters, PMs only 1,000. :p But I'll bear that in mind.
    It's 99p for a reason. I suppose the good thing is if you are hungover and most people there are, it will clear your stomach and bowels in a matter of minutes.
    I assume the York Cafe is cheap, but... to put it mildly, not terribly good?
  • Options
    Scientific research has concluded that such a thing is a complete impossibility - such is Portsmouth's shittiness.

I'll have to disagree there, I had my brothers stag night there and what I remember of the evening was excellent.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    sort off subject...but does anyone go to frenchay campus? and does anyone know if its near the centre or any stations?
  • Options

Correct.
    Although some people have strange and twisted ideas of fun :yuck:
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    sort off subject...but does anyone go to frenchay campus? and does anyone know if its near the centre or any stations?
    There are two stations in Bristol. Parkway, which is not far from the Frenchay campus, and Temple Meads which is just on the verge of the city centre. I'm going to be studying at the St. Matthias campus, (at least for the first year) but chances are, I'd have to visit Frenchay, bearing in mind the new student village opening this year there. Check the website, ask for a prospectus, if you want lots of links, send me a PM! Here's just two to start you off;

UWE Bristol: www.uwe.ac.uk
    Large map: www.uwe.ac.uk/maps/bristolmap.shtml
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    There are two stations in Bristol. Parkway, which is not far from the Frenchay campus, and Temple Meads which is just on the verge of the city centre. I'm going to be studying at the St. Matthias campus, (at least for the first year) but chances are, I'd have to visit Frenchay, bearing in mind the new student village opening this year there. Check the website, ask for a prospectus, if you want lots of links, send me a PM! Here's just two to start you off;

UWE Bristol: www.uwe.ac.uk
    Large map: www.uwe.ac.uk/maps/bristolmap.shtml

Parkway is about 10/15 minute walk from Frenchay campus.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Do what the locals do and smoke loads of crack.

Theres fuck all else to do :hyper:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Lakota is an excellent club. Worth a visit.

And Pompey is nice - if you're a cacker.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Lakota is an excellent club. Worth a visit.
    :yes:
  • Options
    Lakota is a dive :yes:
  • Options
    Bristol's nice. Went there on tour last month. Pretty awesome! Seemed to spend a lot of time in Clifton though. Coronation Tap is amazing - I don't think they were too impressed with our boat races though! Hmm... that was the night we went skinny dipping in the harbour!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    LacyMay wrote:
    Lakota is a dive :yes:

Dives are always the best places. Sweaty drug fuelled ravers. :yes: A good night out.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Dives are always the best places. Sweaty drug fuelled ravers. :yes: A good night out.

Well last time i went there it was fairly empty.

If i'd have known it was full of people like that, i'd have made sure i went back :yes: