Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Money whilst at College

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am currently at full time,5days a week college and living with my parents,I dont get time to have a job at weekends because i always have a lot of work to do! Because my dad earns too much I cant get EMA and becuase i do to many hours at college I can get job seekers allowance but this doesnt mean my parents give me money so how am i ment to survive! Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do!

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I got a job. Your course surely doesnt give you enough work to keep you busy 24/7.

Try getting a part time job with 10-12 hours a week.
  • Options
    I am at college 9-5 money to fri coz i have to do placements too and on a weekend i have to catch up with work! Its nt easy to find a job just for one day a week!
  • Options
    work a couple of evenings a week? or work in the holidays.. or ask your parents for money. maybe do some jobs round the house or something.
  • Options
    get a job! i was at college last year 9 -5 everyday then i went to work 5.30 - 9 at a call centre. Its not that bad, you forget all about how much it sucks when you get paid.
  • Options
    get a job. where else is the money going to come from? it doesn't grow on trees.
  • Options
    What course do you do? Is there any way you can use that to make money? Like offer to design web pages for small companies if you do I.T. or help out the technicians or costume fitters at the local theatre if you do drama, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I am at college 9-5 money to fri coz i have to do placements too and on a weekend i have to catch up with work! Its nt easy to find a job just for one day a week!

Have you considered joining an agency where you could possibly do event related work? They call you for work and if you don't fancy it or you have too much college work then you can just say no thanks.

Also there may be some jobs within your actual college, like a mentoring scheme, or helping a student with a disability, which would only be one day a week. I did that kind of thing in my final year and only worked one day and did maybe 2 hours preparation (maximum) at home.
  • Options
    Get a Saturday job in a shop, and then do your work in the evenings and on a Sunday. That way you won't have any time to spend the money anyway.

When I was at college I didn't have a job until September of my second year, and had to survive on £20 a month from my mum.
  • Options
    Or, look for cleaning jobs in your local paper. They're usually only a couple of hours a night, Monday to Friday, but tend to be paid quite well. It'll give you a break between your college and then doing work, but shouldn't take up too much of your time.
  • Options
    What course do you do? Is there any way you can use that to make money? Like offer to design web pages for small companies if you do I.T. or help out the technicians or costume fitters at the local theatre if you do drama, that sort of thing.

Yeah, that's a good idea. A few friends of mine do some work at the homework club (they help the younger students wih their homework) and get some money that way. I don't think it's that much, but it's better than nothing.