Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Micro$hite

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At the end of the day microsoft might have an unfair advantage as they hold all the cards in the IT industry, but bill gates is a wonderful man to have at the top. The profit is mainly reinvested into microsoft, which means its constantly expanding, which means the rate of software development is just increasing and increasing. The rest, he gives to charity - and in basic numerical terms, he gives more than most governments do! (if not all, i havent checked the figures).

Microsoft are a good thing. Rather than there being 108123079126307123 different bits of software you need to do a damned task, you can just get a microsoft system, and they'll give you everything you need, that works with most computers in the world. MS Windows, MS Office, IE, etc. etc.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Nihilisticmadman said it right in post #30 IMO.
  • Options
    At the end of the day microsoft might have an unfair advantage as they hold all the cards in the IT industry, but bill gates is a wonderful man to have at the top. The profit is mainly reinvested into microsoft, which means its constantly expanding, which means the rate of software development is just increasing and increasing. The rest, he gives to charity - and in basic numerical terms, he gives more than most governments do! (if not all, i havent checked the figures).

Microsoft are a good thing. Rather than there being 108123079126307123 different bits of software you need to do a damned task, you can just get a microsoft system, and they'll give you everything you need, that works with most computers in the world. MS Windows, MS Office, IE, etc. etc.
    I sort of agree with this, and of course another obvious benefit of their being little competition in the OS market, is that people learning and using computers have a generic base to start from. I hate having to use macs and their silly no right click.
  • Options
    Why do you think so many windows users get their system hacked, or get virus and others, when linux like OS users do not have as many trouble.

So many MS users get hacked because hackers design malicious programmes for it, because it will affect the greater number of people. If the situations were reversed there would be a similar number of viruses etc on linux.

Micro$hite don't care about users and there is way too many security issue is there software, they way windows have been design and work is awful, it is not a wonder it is never stable...

Erm, XP is a very good OS, and very stable. Previous generations have been poor if a day went by without a crash on Win 98 it would have been a suprise but XP has crashed only a handful of times for me. If a program locks up, the OS is still there to sort it out.

We have mostly moved on from the issues of bundling software now. To expect an OS to ship without a media player or browser is akin to it shipping without a calculator, or a text reader; they have become integral parts of an OS.

As a previous poster pointed out there are significant network externalities (one fax machine in the world is of little use, two are helpful and one billion very useful) from having such a dominant company it is much easier to train people and transfer files etc.

That said, they do need to be regulated, the IT industry is one of the most competitive and innovative markets - as long as that continues, a dominant Microsoft isn't such a big problem.