Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cannabis and liver

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know is smoking effects the liver?

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    everwonderwhy, do you have any info you could post up regards that? Saves me looking for it :D
  • Options
    wee bit off the topic being discussed but still to do with the liver!

"a note on eating cannabis
    If you take it orally, you could be in for quite a ride. The liver metabolises THC into 11-OH-*9-THC, a compound three times more psychoactive. Oral cannabis is a powerful, almost psychedelic experience, very uncomfortable if you're not expecting it. The effects are slower to come on (1 to 2 hours) and last considerably longer (around 4 hours)"

from thegooddrugsguide.com
  • Options
    Cannabis can lead to long-term liver problems which are quite serious
    i think your mistaken.
  • Options
    Cannabis only effects the liver when fibrosis is already present. It causes the fibrosis to progress.
    Fibrosis is where there is abnormal tissue growth therefore liver fibrosis is abnormal tissue growth in the liver. This is a symptom on hepatitis C.
    This abnormal tissue growth means the liver cannot process the chemicals in the cannabis as efficiently as normal so they build up.
    Cannabis affects the receptors in the liver that send messages to produce more tissue. They activate them and speed up the tissue production.
    If you do not already have hep.C. or fibrosis then the liver is efficient enough to filter out the chemicals in the cannabis and it does not cause liver damage.

I've just done a module on Drugs and the Human Interactions as part of my uni course and as far as I know that's true. It doesn't cause liver damage unless the liver is already damaged through infections or alohol/other drug abuse.
  • Options
    Roll do a google search and windle your way through the numerous pages and you will find that it can damage the liver to an extent of serious problems especially if you've got hepatitius c
    but i don't have hep.
    or anything else wrong with my liver.
  • Options
    Well if smoking in general causes damage to your liver especially cigarettes smoking it could be harmful especially in spliffs
    the men in my family make 75 85 ...they've all been bastards.
  • Options
    but i don't have hep.
    or anything else wrong with my liver.

well the world doesnt revolve around you does it?! :chin: ;)
  • Options
    well the world doesnt revolve around you does it?! :chin: ;)
    it doesn't!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    And there was me thinking Rolly was the sun.

Bugger!
  • Options
    Roll do a google search and windle your way through the numerous pages and you will find that it can damage the liver to an extent of serious problems especially if you've got hepatitius c

Actually everwonderwhy, as you have made the statement its up to you to back it up. Lolzabeth kindly supplied us with her information, and if you disagree its up to you to do the same. All the information I have found seems to indicate that cannabis causes no great strain on the liver., unless you have a pre-existing problem or are taking certain types of medication.

And before you go saying I'm trying to start a debate, you know I can't leave information that appears to be inaccurate up there for all to see.
  • Options
    What was your source for that information? The above is meaningless without context. Sorry to keep on about this, but I really do think you are wrong in saying that cannabis use can lead in the long term to serious liver damage.
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Like LJ said, can you point us in the direction of an article containing the 'research' you mention, pretty please?
  • Options
    The liver has to work hard to turn the thc into chemichals that can easily be got rid of, putting extra unecessary strain.... like the effects of smoking, on the liver.

However it is only likely that someone that hep c to have any serious problems.

Thats as far as the research has gone. But they are still only starting to understand cannabis never mind the effects on the body
    dearest wonderwhy ...do you have any idea how hard the liver works ...on a day to day basis?
    your trying to say that cannabis puts some extra strain omn it thats above and beyond what it is capable of doing in a healthy way ...i think you'll be proved wrong.
    of course ...if your liver is already damaged ...then chips beer and all manner of things put it under strain.,
    but ...the liver is always working hard ...mostly efficiently.
    i would imagine the research will show that cannabis puts the liver under no more strain than most of the daily things we put through it.
  • Options
    i agree with the roller