Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Biggest waste of effort....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    The Link just gives a Navigation error page...?
  • Options
    Fixed :)
  • Options
    Why is it a waste of effort?
  • Options
    You really think that white van men will give 2 hoots? They're more interested in tailgaiting anyone who's not driving fast enough for them.

</generalisation>
  • Options
    Funnely enough Ive found "white van drivers" to oftern be the arseholes who go slow (by which I mean do the speed limit) in the fast lane for ages making it dificult to overtake (in scotland where the motorways generally have only have 2 lanes).
  • Options
    It's interesting the article mentions a pilot scheme with Royal Mail drivers.

I have never seen anyone driving so fucking fast as Royal Mail drivers do. And that irrespective of the size of their van/truck. I've seen large-ish trucks driving faster than Golf GTIs around London. Maniacs they all are.
  • Options
    go slow (by which I mean do the speed limit) in the fast lane

What's wrong with that? If they're overtaking something, they can go at what speed they like. I make a point of overtaking at 60 when some mong in a beemer wants to get past me and sits an inch off my arse.

Seems a good idea to reduce fuel consumption, if the logistics companies pay for it. Which they should.

A better way would be to give tax breaks for rail distribution, and increase the road fund license for HGVs by about 300%. Per tonne, a HGV pays about 400 times less than a Nova for road tax apparently. You can tax a private-use HGV for £165. Erm.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What's wrong with that? If they're overtaking something, they can go at what speed they like. I make a point of overtaking at 60 when some mong in a beemer wants to get past me and sits an inch off my arse.

You mean you make a point of pissing people off because you can.

So you overtake at 60 presumably you drive on the motorway slower than that, then ? what 50, on the motorway at, or do you slow delibratly slow down when someone wants to get passed, why whats the point of that.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Seems a good idea to reduce fuel consumption, if the logistics companies pay for it. Which they should.

A better way would be to give tax breaks for rail distribution, and increase the road fund license for HGVs by about 300%. Per tonne, a HGV pays about 400 times less than a Nova for road tax apparently. You can tax a private-use HGV for £165. Erm.

I fear this could now be a drop in the ocean, but the government have to start somewhere, and are well aware that fuel prices are going to continue to rise as demand continues to accelerate and the supply steadily dwindles over the next fifty years or so. It is wringing the final few drops out of a resource which we should have been taking steps to replace years ago.

Definitely agree that HGV's (and other gas guzzlers) should be squeezed off the roads, and more environmentally friendly methods developed and invested in heavily.

I read a report on the beeb webpage a while back saying that the supply of petrol could dry up in as short a period as twenty years (and that wasn't taking into account the growing industrialisation of china).
  • Options
    With the increased loading gauges on the rail network now, there is no excuse for long-distance road distribution. You can reverse a truck trailer onto a flatbed at Felixstowe and bring it by rail to Glasgow- and all taxation pricing should make this the only sensible choice.

If someone tailgates me, I will not be hassled out of their way. I won't speed up beyond the speed limit if I am in the correct lane. If I'm doing the speed limit past a truck, and its too slow for someone, they can wait. If 70 is too slow, 60 is just right. And if they still don't get the hint, 55 is even better.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If someone tailgates me, I will not be hassled out of their way. I won't speed up beyond the speed limit if I am in the correct lane. If I'm doing the speed limit past a truck, and its too slow for someone, they can wait. If 70 is too slow, 60 is just right. And if they still don't get the hint, 55 is even better.

Normally I find your ramblings to be some of the most offensive and narrow minded pap I've ever read but that has to be the best post here :)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    With the increased loading gauges on the rail network now, there is no excuse for long-distance road distribution. You can reverse a truck trailer onto a flatbed at Felixstowe and bring it by rail to Glasgow- and all taxation pricing should make this the only sensible choice.

It's one of those situations where the government has backed itself into a corner, similar to the smoking debate. They now tax people so heavily on fuel (as they do cigs), that if its usage be cut significantly, it would hit Mr Brown quite hard, but fuel is now approaching the stage where we could soon have shortages (some experts have predicted within 20 years), so they are having to come out and encourage a more careful and therefore green approach to its use.

As for tailgaters, I slow down as much as is safely possible to piss them off. I've become a bit of a road vigilante in my old age. :lol:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's interesting the article mentions a pilot scheme with Royal Mail drivers.

I have never seen anyone driving so fucking fast as Royal Mail drivers do. And that irrespective of the size of their van/truck. I've seen large-ish trucks driving faster than Golf GTIs around London. Maniacs they all are.

And they still can't deliver mail in a decent time.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If 70 is too slow, 60 is just right. And if they still don't get the hint, 55 is even better.

The motorway should have a minimum speed limit of 65, if not 70 (when conditions are good).

What pisses me off more than anything however is when some thick lorry driver tries to overtake another lorry and hogs the middle lane for ages, often they’re stupid enough to do it uphill so they can’t even get past the other lorry they’re trying to overtake. (It’s annoying that some lorry drivers aren’t clever enough to realise that if their lorry is limited to 60mph they will not be able to overtake another lorry limited to 60mph that is going the same speed as them…) Foreign lorry drivers seem to be the worst for this.
  • Options
    The motorway should have a minimum speed limit of 65, if not 70 (when conditions are good).

What pisses me off more than anything however is when some thick lorry driver tries to overtake another lorry and hogs the middle lane for ages, often they’re stupid enough to do it uphill so they can’t even get past the other lorry they’re trying to overtake. (It’s annoying that some lorry drivers aren’t clever enough to realise that if their lorry is limited to 60mph they will not be able to overtake another lorry limited to 60mph that is going the same speed as them…) Foreign lorry drivers seem to be the worst for this.

It should be like Germany - you can drive as fast as you like as long as you're driving safely
  • Options
    I'd pesonally make middle lane hogging a capital offence.

(not really, klintock ;) )
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    It’s annoying that some lorry drivers aren’t clever enough to realise that if their lorry is limited to 60mph they will not be able to overtake another lorry limited to 60mph that is going the same speed as them…

I don't think that's down to them being stupid - I suspect that they do that just to piss everyone else off!!!!!!!
  • Options

I'd disagree.

The problem is not the speed of driving, its the lane choice. It's safe to do 40 in the inside lane IMHO.

Lorries overtaking on three-lane motorways isn't a problem.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Maybe not environmentally, but it causes local congestion without a doubt.

The M6 toll road demonstrates how efficient motorways can be when they aren't cluttered with freight.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd disagree.

The problem is not the speed of driving, its the lane choice. It's safe to do 40 in the inside lane IMHO.

Most motorways are three lanes, if a lorry is trying to overtake another lorry that’s two lanes taken by vehicles moving slower than most cars – leaving cars with just one lane; the outside lane. If you can't see why that's a problem go on the M25 or use the motorway at rush hour and you'll understand.

If it was up to me people doing 40mph on the motorway would only be allowed to use the motorway between 1am and 5am when they can’t annoy other people. By going along at 40 lorries are going to overtake, pushing lorries out into the middle lane and only leaving one lane for car users (the outside lane). Again, that causes congestion.
  • Options
    they’re stupid

Hence they're lorry drivers ;)

The fuckers shouldn't overtake. They can't really go any faster, so they just sit alongside them. Big problem on the M27 near Southampton where the M3 joins...the motorway goes down to two lanes, and there is always some dumb fuck in a truck failing to overtake another one.
    On a three lane road (queues notwithstanding), most cars (if they are driven by someone that can drive) are doing over 60 in the middle lane and so are being held up by the lorries (or pissing about in the outside lane, trying to overtake the lorry).

I'd also have a minimum speed limit. If you're not capable of driving safely at that speed, then you shouldn't be on the motorway.
  • Options
    why just white van drivers? why not lorry drivers aswell?