Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Only women in swimming pools? Oh, we can't be having that!

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Islam is interpreted differently within the faith.

One answer may not be the same as another. Like al eligion there are more strict branches.
  • Options
    True. Not swimming in the presence of men would be a basic sharia principle whereas the interpretation of sharing water is probably more a matter of jurisprudence.
    byny wrote:
    Islam is interpreted differently within the faith.

One answer may not be the same as another. Like al eligion there are more strict branches.
  • Options
    Simples

I think most ladies understand that single sex swimming sessions are a privilege. However publicly funded facilities are meant to be for everyone. They are not supposed to cater to the privilaged. If single sex swimming was abolished in publicly financed swimming pools then niche would open up in the private sector where privileged services belong.
  • Options
    SLightly old thread me thinks.
  • Options
    lol@ Stargalaxy being a guest.

i miss alot of those posters in this thread, long ago...
  • Options
    lol@ Stargalaxy being a guest.

i miss alot of those posters in this thread, long ago...

me too :( briggi came back but seems to have dissapeared again
  • Options
    Oooooold thread.

The women only swimming sessions where I am, I was told by somebody who uses them, are often used by women who follow religions like Islam, who normally need to dress modestly.

I don't have an issue with women only swimming. Don't have an issue with male only swimming either. Why can't we have both?

ETA: I couldn't care either way, but then I don't follow any religion, have never been raped and don't feel self-conscious around anyone, so far as my body is concerned.