Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

recurring tedonitis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 17, a senior in h.s. I was diagnosed with tedonitis last September as a result of overuse in my wrist due to water polo. I sat out the season on the advice of multiple doctors. After anti-inflammatory drugs and physical therapy, i began swimming in mid-november. I was alright, with slight discomfort here and there. but it's been 3 months and the discomfort is not going away. i was lifting for a bit and I've stopped that since I don't think its helping. but this is getting ridiculous. I'm not sitting out the swim season, and am willing to put up with the pain if there is no other way to reduce the pain. i've started icing 10 min on 10 min off three times after practice, but i don't know if it's doing anything. none of my doctors were much help, just throwing drugs at me and telling me not to do anything with my wrist. well i did that, and it lessened the pain a bit, but its chronic. its been 4 months and im getting sick of it. does anybody know of any way besides not using my wrist, to eliminate this tedonitis, if thats even what i have? I feel my wrist is not as strong during swimming, and it only hurts a little bit when swimming during certain pulling drills. but it is strained.

i've heard of different icing/heating methods but all the advice was varying with some saying never heat, only ice, and others saying never ice.

note: Stopping swimming is not an option. It is clear to me that sitting out only lessens the pain to a certain extent, as I did absolutely nothing to my wrist for about 6-8 weeks. being an athlete, i've never felt more like crap in my life. So i guess what i'm looking for is an alternative to drugs to ease the pain. Is ice the way to go? or heat? or both?

I understand if nobody has any idea, all my doctors were baffled.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Whatever eases the pain of your tendonitis, be it heat or cold.

What about asking to be referred to a therapist, e.g. a physio to see if they can get the tendon back to normal?

I would say that a combination of anit-inflammatories, physical therapy and rest of the area could work to reduce the pain you are feeling and I am afraid to say that swimming may be aggravating the tendon.
  • Options
    i found that a course of acupuncture administered by my physio helped me immensely.

I got tendonitis in my wrists about 3 years ago, and i still suffer. times it is better, times it is a hell of a lot worse.

if a physio cannot help you, ask to be refered for cortisone injections- ive heard they've been a lifesaver for many.

try and reduce other areas of your life- typing, awkward carrying/holding etc in an attempt to alleviate it.