Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Private 'Debt collectors' to collect CSA money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
CSA Debt collection link

I think the government have gone way wrong on this one.

How on earth can you chase up payments relating to parental responsibility in the same way you do a parking fine?

I pay maintenance for my son without using the CSA, as I have a fairly good relationship with the mother, so this won't cause me problems.

I really feel for fathers who have genuinely been shunned by the mother, who do not get any access to their child (access and maintenance are two different areas), but will now face debt collectors if they refuse to pay upkeep for their child.

I would like to point out that I do feel both parents have a responsibility to pay for the upkeep of their children, but in circumstances where access is denied for no reason, then why should the father have to pay??

I think the government are doing this completely wrong, and have once again not looked at the bigger picture when planning ahead. Each individual case has its own intricacies and facts, and there is no way debt collection companies are going to be able to take these into account. Also, the companies will need to make a profit, so surely this will have to come out of the money which is supposedly being collected for the child.

Total and utter farce. :banghead: