Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nick Griffin's court case

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just because somebody comes from a privilidged background does not mean they turn out to be a classic 'gentleman' or 'lady'.

He targets the working class, frustrated and vulnerable people, tells them that their problems are caused by -insert easy target here-... It's easy to attack those people than take on the system, in my opinion.

That's politics. You can't single out Griffin for this - the US gov't is the master of creating threats (such as terrorism) or the illusion of threats (such as drugs) as a means to gaining support from the neive and vulnerable.

The tories have done the same as the BNP anyway (late 70's they stole the NF's thunder over immigration, for example). The same can be said of the right-wing press which have been constant in focussing on immigration as a serious problem.

What do you suggest? Banning far-right groups and expression of free speech?
  • Options
    Just because somebody comes from a privilidged background does not mean they turn out to be a classic 'gentleman' or 'lady'.
    Just because somebody went to Oxford does not mean they come from a "privilidged [sic] background".
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Just because somebody went to Oxford does not mean they come from a "privilidged [sic] background".
    So you're saying that back when he was in Oxford they let just anyone in?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    What do you suggest? Banning far-right groups and expression of free speech?
    Nope, I'm 100% for free speech as long as it isn't promoting violence towards people (incitement of hatred towards minority groups and religious groups is illegal... There should be one protecting LGBT people too in my opinion).
  • Options

Obviously not. People can and do enter Oxford on their own merit however.

Listen to Griffin's voice. He has more than a hint of a working-class London accent.
    Nope, I'm 100% for free speech as long as it isn't promoting violence towards people (incitement of hatred towards minority groups and religious groups is illegal... There should be one protecting LGBT people too in my opinion).

Hating a religion or minority group is different from inciting violence towards them though. Do you think Griffin's prosecution is justified?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    The irony is motions like this play into the BNP's hands. They can present themselves as being persecuted and denied their political rights, and at the same time the anti-BNP movement make themselves look like fannies.

how, protesting is a basic part of the british process :D

violent protestors are completly different
  • Options
    I find inverse snobbery offensive in the extreme. I don't even know why you saw a need to mention supposed privilege in the first place.
  • Options
    how, protesting is a basic part of the british process :D

violent protestors are completly different

Aye, but most militant anti-fascist students are a joke. People see the baggy jeaned 'alternative' crowd protesting with their placards and think they're twats. The only successful action against the far-right has come from working class militants such as AFA who backed up their mouth with the boot.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Aye, but most militant anti-fascist students are a joke. People see the baggy jeaned 'alternative' crowd protesting with their placards and think they're twats. The only successful action against the far-right has come from working class militants such as AFA who backed up their mouth with the boot.

100% agree
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Griffin

He went to a minor public school and studied at Cambridge. Mind you if you do decide to go out and give him a kicking you may want to note he's also a boxing blue.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Griffin

He went to a minor public school and studied at Cambridge. Mind you if you do decide to go out and give him a kicking you may want to note he's also a boxing blue.

Personally i'd prefer to sit down with him and talk politics with him.

If the BNP was to start gaining considerable power to a dangerous extent in a dangerous international context though, i'd be inclined towards physical confrontation.
  • Options

He actually went to Cambridge. That aside Oxbridge used to have a far greater proportion of state school educated students than it presently does. (I believe it’s just under 60% state school now). It used to be higher but following the abolition of grammar schools in most parts of the country it dropped significantly and the numbers of privately educated students increased. So arguably you could say that Oxbridge was far more open socially when he went than it is now. (Although you can’t really generalise too much about Oxbridge as it varies significantly between colleges).
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If the BNP was to start gaining considerable power to a dangerous extent in a dangerous international context though, i'd be inclined towards physical confrontation.

Interesting comment, given the discussion in the other thread.

Do you support his right to do the same then?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I find inverse snobbery offensive in the extreme. I don't even know why you saw a need to mention supposed privilege in the first place.

It's not inverted snobbery, I'm middle class myself. I see anybody who had the chance to go to university and public school as 'privileged' I didn't say that was a bad thing. What I meant was that just because somebody is educated does not mean that they turn out to be what you would consider to be a "gentleman".

I never knew the word 'privilege' was naughty.
  • Options
    Interesting comment, given the discussion in the other thread.

Do you support his right to do the same then?

Do the same in what sort of context, against whom and for what purpose?
  • Options
    It's not inverted snobbery, I'm middle class myself. I see anybody who had the chance to go to university and public school as 'privileged' I didn't say that was a bad thing. What I meant was that just because somebody is educated does not mean that they turn out to be what you would consider to be a "gentleman".

I never knew the word 'privilege' was naughty.
    How can something achieved by half of A-Level school leavers be considered a privilege, "middle class" or otherwise? Besides, tuition fees and repayable student loans have effectively abolished any privilege that was once attributed to a university education.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Apart from the fact the he thinks Britain should be whites only....

That is a lie :banghead:

If you followed the case his defence witness was Raj Sigh :chin:
  • Options
    dave777 wrote:
    That is a lie :banghead:

If you followed the case his defence witness was Raj Sigh :chin:

Oh look, a fash apologist. What fun :D
  • Options
    Nothing would make me happier than to see Nick Griffin in prison, meeting his new cellmate and desperately trying to not drop the soap while in the showers.

However, he has an right to free speech as far as I am concerned, even if its racist scumbaggery he's preaching. By letting him free, it just means everyone else will be able to make more fun of the idiot.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Nothing would make me happier than to see Nick Griffin in prison, meeting his new cellmate and desperately trying to not drop the soap while in the showers.

However, he has an right to free speech as far as I am concerned, even if its racist scumbaggery he's preaching. By letting him free, it just means everyone else will be able to make more fun of the idiot.

I doubt Griffin will have serious problems in prison. His "protection" will have been arranged well in advance of the trial.

The interesting stuff about the BNP now it would seem is not so much the court course against Griffin & Collett but the goings-on with his henchmen which i've read elsewhere will be big news.

Ah well, at least no-one can say the far-right lacks entertainment value :cool:
  • Options
    Collett lives a couple of miles from me.

You wouldn't have though it was a racist haven round my way but there goes, not something you want your area to be known for.......
  • Options