Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

musluims unhappy over veil ban at imperial college

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    atz wrote:
    if someone wants to wear it, then so what? if there's a female person that can see the face and identify who it is, then it isn't really a problem.

Thing is, there is 'free society' which is ok - on the streets, and such. But at colleges, universitys, places of work and such there is such a thing I believe should be upheld - proffessional presentation. Like Aladdin said, I dont think its entirely proffessional to be dressed up in religious attire in a proffessional environment.

Otherwise, whats to stop people doing things completely unnacceptable and saying its because of their religion, and expecting special allowances for it. By benchmarking and saying what is acceptable and what is not - it is acceptable to wear religious attire, it is not acceptable to conceal your face - I think they have a practical solution to where you draw the line.

In court, where you have to dress a certain way, what would a muslim barristar do? Of course religion is important to someone, even the most important thing to them, but to think 'this is my religion and I will follow it no matter what' is in a way, selfish, as it goes without consideration to other people. In this instance, a student covering their face would cause undue disruption because for security they would need to be stopped, be taken aside, prove their identity and go on.

I remember when if your employer / university / school said "This is the dress code" people would not whinge and just do it. There is a perfect justification for making sure people show their faces. I think the security argument might be overrated, but in my eyes, its just good manners. I always take my helmet off when I go indoors, as its rude to wear a facial / head covering indoors. IIRC, temples of many faiths require you to take your shoes off before entering. What if someone entering had a different belief that they couldnt take their shoes off. It just gets ludicrous.

When in Rome, one must do as the Romans, or something.
  • Options
    Otherwise, whats to stop people doing things completely unnacceptable and saying its because of their religion, and expecting special allowances for it.

Exactly. You've got to draw a line somewhere or people will use it as an excuse to get anything.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :confused:

Who the hell told you that?
    It's a personal thing and it's hard to express but if the institution is secular surely they must accept that the likelihood is that its members will be from a variety of faiths. Otherwise it's not secular at all it's an institution grounded on agnosticism or even atheism, both of which I see as religious beliefs.
  • Options
    Christianity is always being told to 'modernise' and 'get with the times' so to perhaps muslims should realise we're living in times of heightened security.
  • Options
    i'm not going to get into anything too deep with this because it'll just cause problems.. all i can say is the people who insist on covering their faces should just go to a different uni.. because its imperials rules and while they are in there, they should follow their rules.. if there are other places which allow the covering of the face, then those people can just go there.
    i don't think its wrong because i've read into all of the reasons etc and understand completely why they do it, but in a country that isn't Islamic, they will also have to realise that there are some things that they cannot argue with..
    personally, if i was wearing it and couldn't go imperial because of that, i would choose a different uni.. because as far as i'm concerned, i would need to respect their rules. although i wouldn't take it off just to go there..
  • Options
    I quite agree with most of the posters, this isn't a religious issue and isn't a terrorism scare story, it is simple security (identifying those entering high value research departments) and safety (stopping loose, flowing clothes from labs etc.).

This issue has been brought to many Student Union over the country by a group called "stopislamophobia.org". They put together a proposal and presented it to union councils it was badly written, misquoted ministers, and accused MI5 of demanding a list of members from another union Islamic Society - which was actually rebutted by our own Islamic Society President who knew the president of the said society and it was utter rubbish.

The proposal demanded that the result be posted on the website and the union mandated to follow it at NUS conference. Thankfully it got throughly defeated although some Unions have passed it including Westminster.