Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Insults

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spliffie wrote:
    Why do you say that?

i have found it to be true.

listen to lipsy - she is most wise!

i think it is like a control thing, its like they want to put you down and erode ur self esteem, if you think your worthless you'l stay with them cos u don't think u can find sum1 else... something like that
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Why do you say that?
    because thats usually the case
  • Options
    Slagging your girlfriend off seriously - trying to bring her down so you're in control - certainly common behaviour with jealous/possessive boyfriends.

Also common behaviour with guys who don't care about their g/f.

Slagging in jest is different from both.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    id like to say that i wouldnt stand for it, but then to be honest, im sorry to say i would propbably just ignore it and hoped it stopped...until i snapped that is. id say that you however shouldnt do this, but to snip it in the bud now before it becomes a habit. if it is truly upsetting you, then something should be done, but is it meant in a jokey way? or serious?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Slagging your girlfriend off seriously - trying to bring her down so you're in control - certainly common behaviour with jealous/possessive boyfriends.

Also common behaviour with guys who don't care about their g/f.

Slagging in jest is different from both.
    It is... If I slag somebody or take the piss, normally it's out of endearment.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    id like to say that i wouldnt stand for it, but then to be honest, im sorry to say i would propbably just ignore it and hoped it stopped...until i snapped that is. id say that you however shouldnt do this, but to snip it in the bud now before it becomes a habit.

this is so true! it is bad when it gets too much and you just snap... speaking from personal experience... just makes it so much worse...
    though funnily enough after i slapped him he never did insult me anymore
    hmmm wonder why lol

Bunny_0_ wrote:
    is it meant in a jokey way? or serious?
    in my case it was seriously.
    i dont think things like that should be said as a joke, i wouldnt find it terribly funny
  • Options
    Slagging in jest is alright if the other person can take it in jest.

If you're told to stop, and you don't, then you obviously don't care enough.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    to the people who's boyfriends insult them.. do they also compliment you aswell? and call you honey, beautiful, babe etc?

i don't understand how anyone could put up with that.
    Yeah hes always calling me gorgeous and baby and honey babe etc etc

But like if I say something stupid with out thinking he'll just call me a stupid bitch or a dickhead or something. I do tell him about it though. He's like it with everyone, he just thinks its acceptable. I do put him in his place though if i think hes takin it too far.
  • Options
    I'd definitely dump my bf if he insulted me! What's the point in a relationship if you don't support each other and love all their faults, and aren't made to feel happy about yourself?
    Luckily my guy is lovely, but it's not the same with my friend - yesterday she told me he unjokingly called her 'fat' several times (she's not). I was so annoyed, both at him and the fact she won't dump him! He is a possessive type (as someone above noted they were more likely to insult).
    Insults definitely don't go together with a long loving relationship. How can someone love you yet make you feel awful saying you're fat, ugly, stupid?
  • Options
    I wouldn't put up with it cause boyfriends and girlfriends are meant to make the other feel really special, beauitful and wanted.

I'd ditch him, althoug I guess its harder doing it than saying it, so I hear.

Nobody deserves being called names like that though.
  • Options
    Naomi_UK wrote:
    I wouldn't put up with it cause boyfriends and girlfriends are meant to make the other feel really special, beauitful and wanted.

I've never had a girlfriend make me feel that. :crying:

I often had girlfriends, particularly the current one (in fact, now I come to think of it, only the cutrrent one) saying insensitive things to me, and when I mention it, or get the hump I get told to get over it and not take things so seriously. I've never had a girl blatently call me nasty things though. What this guy seems to be doing is intentionally putting you down adn insulting you, which is an awful thing to do. I would say don't put up with it, but then I would if I were in your shoes. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think it really depends if it is in a joking contect really. Dose he mean it? cause if he did i would ditch him!