Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cooking help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well today I am starting to try and eat healthy. Didn't want to start at New Year becuase I am more likely to fail. Anywho.....I am wanting to try and make something for my tea with chicken breasts but I amn't sure what I could make. I am a plain eater so don't like anything fancy. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Grilled chicken marionated in your choice sauce? So easy even I can do it :p
  • Options
    i would do chicken breasts just with steamed vegetables and home made roast potatoes
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/perfectroastpotatoes_13801.shtml

if you dont have a steamer, you can get those bags of steamfresh vegetables to do in the microwave and they tend to be REALLY tasty for some reason.
  • Options
    Doesn't plain chicken just taste bland though?
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:

Ketchup?
    BBQ sauce :yum:
    seasons
    cheese
    onions

(not all together of course)
  • Options
    Dont know how fattening it is, but try cooking some rice, chopping the chicken into small chunks, then put it in a pan for a few minutes, then add some sauce (take your pick, curry sauce, sweet and sour, tomato marinade, etc.), let it cook for a bit, then serve. Sauce might be loaded with fat though.

You call always grill a bit of chicken, get a bit of salad (lettuce, whatever) and add a bit of mayonaise. That should be healthy.
  • Options
    You could cook the chicken (roast, grill)...then make up some cous cous with chicken stock, then mix in the chicken and your choice of vegetables...quick, easy and tasty :yum:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    risotto.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Bongs secret tip;

When cooking rice do the whole pack in one go, then rinse with lots of cold water to remove the starch.

Then bag up in serving size amounts and put into the freezer.

Then, when you want rice, just remove from the freezer, put it in the microwave and zap for about 3 mins. Perfect rice every time.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Then, when you want rice, just remove from the freezer, put it in the microwave and zap for about 3 mins. Perfect rice every time.

don't think you're supposed to freeze cooked rice. isn't it a food poisoning risk?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    don't think you're supposed to freeze cooked rice. isn't it a food poisoning risk?

I do it all the time, as do people I know, and you can buy frozen cooked rice in the supermarkets.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:

Only if you warm it up. If you get red hot it'll be fine.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

No, you can freeze it when it's cooked. If you keep it in the fridge when it's cooked you must use it within 24 hours and only reheat it once, otherwise it's a poisoning risk.

You can make an excellent tomato sauce without any fat that you can eat with just about anything.

Chop some onions, put into a pan. Put in some garlic paste, a tin or two of tomatoes, a bit of stock, a big squeeze of tomato paste, some herbs (whatever you want) a teaspoon of sugar and a slug of red wine if you've got it. Bring to the boil then simmer slowly until thickened. You can also add any other vegetables you want (peppers are good) and because it's cooked so slowly you don't have to fry any of them.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    No, you can freeze it when it's cooked. If you keep it in the fridge when it's cooked you must use it within 24 hours and only reheat it once, otherwise it's a poisoning risk.

fair enough.

wouldn't trust it myself though. i once watched something about how rice is the biggest cause of some kind of food poisoning, cause the spores in the rice aren't killed by heat in the same way bacteria in chickens and whatnot are.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    wouldn't trust it myself though. i once watched something about how rice is the biggest cause of some kind of food poisoning, cause the spores in the rice aren't killed by heat in the same way bacteria in chickens and whatnot are.

I've done it loads of times myself and never had a single problem. Having said that I've never in my life had food poisoning.
  • Options
    Rice is quite a big food poisoning risk...but as long as it iss heated right through, it will be fine.

What i dont understand tho is the need to cook a whole pack and then freeze the rest. Fair enough freezing left overs, but why a whole pack when it is so quick and easy to cook initially? :confused: By the time you've defrosted and then cooked in the microwave...you might as well cook some fresh?
  • Options
    What i dont understand tho is the need to cook a whole pack and then freeze the rest. Fair enough freezing left overs, but why a whole pack when it is so quick and easy to cook initially? :confused: By the time you've defrosted and then cooked in the microwave...you might as well cook some fresh?

Most rice takes at least 15mins to boil, once you have the pan of water boiling. Using my method it only takes 3 or 4 minutes, and you dont get a pan dirty.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

I think the risk is frmo leaving rice to stand in a warm environment for a while. Cooking then letting it cool then freezing doesnt allow it time in the breeding environment. Then heating it straight up again is ok.

In case anyone is interested, chinese takeaways normally just have a big pot of rice ready to serve up that is kept warm, and often overnight they will use the same stuff. So.. food for thought. Still nice though :)
  • Options
    I never knew any of this about rice...I always bung it in the fridge and then use it a couple of days later to make fried rice or whatever.

I've never had any problems, but then again I have a very strong constitution.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    you dont get a pan dirty.

Good thinkng...but what about the bowl you dirty when you put it in the microwave? ;)
  • Options
    Good thinkng...but what about the bowl you dirty when you put it in the microwave? ;)

I just put the baggie straight in the microwave, it normally gets a little soft, but doesnt melt or anything.

Using Bongs special method you can have a good quality stir fry from freezer and fridge to plate in 10 mins max.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I just put the baggie straight in the microwave, it normally gets a little soft, but doesnt melt or anything.

Using Bongs special method you can have a good quality stir fry from freezer and fridge to plate in 10 mins max.

..and minimal washing up. You cant beat that :thumb:
  • Options
    ..and minimal washing up. You cant beat that :thumb:

Exactly - fresh, healthy, quick, easy - there is a good reason why I am TheSite's Singular Sage.
  • Options
    Indeed :yes:
  • Options
    Indeed :yes:

I'm really great.
  • Options
    I didn't even know that you could get food poisoning from rice! Learn something new every day.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    well you said you were a plain eater.
    I dont think its bland - i just think it tastes like chicken. You could always put sauce with it or make up some gravy.
  • Options
    Rice is quite a big food poisoning risk...but as long as it iss heated right through, it will be fine.

the bit that got me (i'm a bit weird about food and illness, and will not take even the most minimal of risks) was the stuff like this:
    Rice may contain a bacterium known as Bacillus cereus. Some species of this bacterium may survive the high temperatures reached during normal cooking processes e.g. frying and boiling, by forming heat resistant spores, which may then germinate into living bacteria.

(from http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/sitemap/environment/food_production_and_quality/cd_rice_information.htm )

anyway, to risk this becoming a rice thread, here's my tip for tasty chicken:

get a bowl (or a sandwich bag) and bung in a little of any of these (whatever you like): olive oil, lemon juice, salt, crushed/chopped garlic, chopped rosemary, dollop of mustard, dollop of honey. whack in your chicken breasts, rub your mix all over them, cover up and stick in the fridge for an hour or two. then when you're ready to eat, cook them your favourite way. i always do them in a griddle pan cause they taste really nice, and the pan is dead easy to clean afterwards.
  • Options
    I have bought some seasoning yesterday so going to try it out tonight.
  • Options
    Seriously,m try marionating.
  • Options
    What's marionating when it's at home? Does it involve cooking for Robin Hood and his merry men :p or do you mean marinating?
    Manda you do make me chuckle.