Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Manchester Derby..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
:crying:

Shite referee.

Only right decision all game was to send Ronaldo off. Although he should have given the previous free kick which was a booking at least...

Shite tactics.

Fletcher isn't good enough to play for City FFS, let alone United.

Shite transfers

£12m on a defence? What about the centre of the park Fergie?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Man Of Kent - I just have to say I love your signature.

As for the derby - I watched the last half hour or so - I was surprised to see the shape of the game and how each team was playing. I do think City deserved to win. (By the way, I'm not biased any way as I don't support either team!) I also agree with what you're saying about the Ronaldo malarky. Agreed about Fletcher too.

Felt sorry for Rooney, who always seems to try his hardest - today being no exception.
  • Options
    Why the hell do they play O'Shea, Fletcher and Silvestre? City deserved the win although i didn't particulary think it was a good game to watch.

On a happier note Arsenal won 7-0 :D
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I thought it was fucking hilarious.

Nearly as good as the Arsen.
  • Options
    Fletcher isn't good enough to play for City FFS, let alone United.
    Don't think your in a position to be suggesting that City are worse than United after that. :thumb: I wonder if you United fans will actually realise now that Ronaldo = all show and no end product. How many clear chances did he waste today? How many chances did he create for others? One for Rooney, can't think of any others. And another show of world class defending from Silvestre. Don't think we have to worry about France in the summer if that's the best they've got (unless they realise how good Distin is :D ).

Agree about the ref though. Booking James for kicking the ball away after he'd conceded a goal? What a twat!

But in the spirit of the occasion. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Man U fans blaming a referee...suprise.

Mind you why should you be able to beat a premiership side when you can't beat Burton Albion or Exeter City ;)
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Man U fans blaming a referee...suprise.

I wasn't blaming the ref, I said he had a bad game. I certainly didn't mean to imply that was the reason we lost. We lost because we were poor.

Yes the fist goal was a result of an offsied, yes we had loads of decisions go against us, but a few went the other way too.

Ultimately we just didn't create the chances and City did.
    Mind you why should you be able to beat a premiership side when you can't beat Burton Albion or Exeter City ;)

I guess that's supposed to be humourous... :p

Different teams.
  • Options
    Don't think your in a position to be suggesting that City are worse than United after that. :thumb:

:p

League position and history don't lie.
    I wonder if you United fans will actually realise now that Ronaldo = all show and no end product.

You think that's news to United fans?

Great entertaining showboats, but for a winger his supply chain is shite.
  • Options
    And finally...
    GoodFella wrote:
    On a happier note Arsenal won 7-0 :D

Ah yes, the mighty Arse show that they can beat a bunch of kids and Henry showed what a truly class player he is again by running rings round a poor defence.

Really, with the way your lot have played this season, I don't think either of us have much to shout about :no:
  • Options
    trevor sinclair...one of the unsung heroes of the english game...
  • Options
    trevor sinclair...one of the unsung heroes of the english game...
    He's been good for us since he came back, and was brilliant today. A shame he's been injured som much really.
  • Options
    We miss Paul Scholes something awful. We need his calming influence in the middle of the park. Fletcher and O'Shea just don't have the composure and lack the ability to play with incision like Scholesy can. His absence is one of main the reasons we haven't beaten Birmingham and Arsenal in recent matches and he was sorely missed again today. Apparently he's got clouded vision - which still must be better than the vision shown by the other two.

Silvestre shouldn't have started if Brown was fit :confused: . Fuck, I would have played the new guy Vidic ahead of Silvestre. I would have subbed Silvestre at half time to show him that piss poor mistake ridden performances cannot be tolerated.

Rooney ran his heart out, as usual, and was easily our best player.

The refereeing was terrible. Their first goal was offside and Ronaldo shouldn't have been sent out. The challenge before that on him was a bookable offence as well. Countless other decisions were a joke as well but as has been said, we just didn't create enough.

Need a midfielder big style. We don't need to keep searching for an ideal Keane replacement - he is irreplaceable and that should be realised. We just need someone a bit different but still combative that will fit in there.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    I thought it was fucking hilarious.

Me as well. And nearly all my friends are scum fans..
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    Ronaldo shouldn't have been sent out.

Always a red. He left the ground and had studs showing...

I can't remember who tried to take rooney's knee cap off but that was another automatic red - ironic really that Rooney was booked for complaining about it...
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I can't believe the bollocks that supposed United 'fans' talk sometimes. The team are playing shit at the moment, but you can't go on blaming referees forever.
    addicted7 wrote:
    We miss Paul Scholes something awful. His absence is one of main the reasons we haven't beaten Birmingham and Arsenal in recent matches and he was sorely missed again today.

Scholes played against Birmingham, and was his usual, jaded looking self. Rumour has it he a serious illness, and has had for the last two years, which would explain his sudden change from one of the best in his position the also ran.
    addicted7 wrote:
    The refereeing was terrible. Their first goal was offside and Ronaldo shouldn't have been sent out. The challenge before that on him was a bookable offence as well. Countless other decisions were a joke as well but as has been said, we just didn't create enough.

The first goal was not offside. Even the most ardent of United fans with any footballing brain would admit that when the ball was flicked through Sinclair was level. Yeah, the challenge on Ronaldo was bad, but what does he expect in a derby game? It doesn't give him the right to lunge at players over the ball (a tackle where both feet come off the ground is deemed a two footer and is an automatic red). The ref had no choice but to send him off, and he deserved it.
    addicted7 wrote:
    Need a midfielder big style. We don't need to keep searching for an ideal Keane replacement - he is irreplaceable and that should be realised. We just need someone a bit different but still combative that will fit in there.

The only bit I agree with. I always thought the idea of changing to three in midfield last season was in part to deal with Keano's impending departure, but Fergie still seems to think that bit part midfielders such as O'Shea and in the past Phil Neville can do that job, when they are coming up against the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Davids etc.

United are not the team they used to be. Face it.

I'll still go to watch them every week, but rather than complaining about dodgy ref's decisions and players who are past their best, United fans now need to do what the board should be doing. Getting behind the team and building for the future. Other rumours are that a midfielder may arrive before the transfer window ends, possibly Thomas Gravesen.
  • Options
    They need to get rid of O'Shea, Fletcher and Silvestre to be honest.
  • Options
    manickev wrote:
    I'm sorry but I can't believe the bollocks that supposed United 'fans' talk sometimes. The team are playing shit at the moment, but you can't go on blaming referees forever.

I didn't blame the referee. I said some decisions were a joke (which they were) but that in the end we just didn't create enough.

Rumour has it he a serious illness, and has had for the last two years, which would explain his sudden change from one of the best in his position the also ran.

Oh, you must be talking about the time the S*n arrived on his parents doorstep claiming he had cancer and asking questions :yeees: . Lovely rumour that.

The first goal was not offside. Even the most ardent of United fans with any footballing brain would admit that when the ball was flicked through Sinclair was level.

:confused:

You obviously misread the situation. I'm not talking about the flick. The original cross was played into the box and a city player WAS offside. Yes, Neville headed the ball, but that player was interfering as he was competing with Neville for the ball. He gained an advantage from being offside. It's quite simple. Even Stuart Pearce said he believed it was offside.

Yeah, the challenge on Ronaldo was bad, but what does he expect in a derby game? It doesn't give him the right to lunge at players over the ball (a tackle where both feet come off the ground is deemed a two footer and is an automatic red). The ref had no choice but to send him off, and he deserved it.

So it's ok to hack players down just because it's a derby, and you can expect to not get the foul for said hack just because it's a derby? Does a derby change the rules? I don't think so - Ronaldo should have had a free kick. Ronaldo's challenge was rash but he didn't 'lead' with both feet and didn't make contact. It was still a booking, but I can understand why United are appealing the red card.

Other rumours are that a midfielder may arrive before the transfer window ends, possibly Thomas Gravesen.

No, David Gill has ruled out a move for Thomas Gravesen. He says there'll be two big name signings in the summer but we can't move now as both players are involved in the champions league :chin: .

I'm more than certain both will be midfielders. It could be any number of people. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Even if the 1st ball in was offside, united players didn't even appeal for it, and as we were always told at school, you should play to the whistle. United's defence were at fault however you look at it. They just need to improve. Not having a defensive midfielder is putting pressure on the defence, and playing negatively, as Carlos Quieroz seems to think is the solution, does not work, it just heaps even more pressure on. United were never great defensively, they just had a midfiled which controlled games, and were lightning fast on the break and strong in attack. Those three strengths have now gone.

Gravesen's agent has been in Manchester this week apparently, but is concerned the deal won't go through before transfer window closes, but United want Gravesen and he wants to join apparently.

I'd like to see him at OT, possibly along with Ballack (which now seems highly unlikely)
  • Options
    Whether players appeal for offside or not is irrelevant - the linesman is paid to do a job. When the cross came in all the Players in the box (Neville, Rio, Silvestre) were focused on marking their men, not sticking their hands up for offside. Though I agree that the defending following that was shocking - I'm pointing my finger at Silvestre. I actually think for all the controversy over Rio's wage, that he should actually be picking up half Silvestre's wage on top of what he gets, due to the amount of times he bails him out. Brown should have played, even Vidic.

I can't see Gravesen coming if Gill states that they are not interested. I'd like to see him here though, and he's proven in the premiership.

Raul Garcia (Osasuna) is one of the latest rumours. I watch Spanish football, and Osasuna are high-fliers and he is impressive, but he's only 19 and I think we need more experience.

We need to look at replacing Scholes as well. Riquelme at Villareal would be a perfect option and as you say, Ballack, but it's unlikely. But if we want to be world class again these are the kind of players we need to be aiming for. At the moment, our midfield doesn't even compare to Chelsea or Liverpool's.
  • Options
    No, that's the problem. You can't dominate a game without the ball. Fletcher, O'Shea etc are all ok players, but don't have that extra gear like Keane and Beckham to take a game by the scruff of the neck. That then puts pressure on our defence and we make mistakes.

Raul Garcia is supposed to be a fair player (he had a tangle with Beckham recently didn't he, and Beckhame called him 'the ugliest player he'd ever seen'!!!!). Any ball winner would improve us at the moment though. I'd love to see Ledley King (who is superb in defense and as a holding midfielder in my opinion), but coudn't see him leaving Spurs. Kolo Toure's brother was also being bandied about earlier in the year, but that seems to have gone quiet.

I always thought Fergies new 3 man midfield was aimed at replacing Keane with this kind of player, and also letting Rooney play as the Scholes/supporting the striker type role, but they just seem to have lost the plot recently and are putting square pegs in everywhere.
  • Options
    I've seen players sent off for far less than Ronaldo was. It wasn't the dirtiest challenge I've ever seen, but his studs were showing, there was no way he was going to get the ball, and it was done out of frustration from the previous challenge, and that's not what a professional player does. Anyway we'll see. If it wasn't a red card, then it'll be recinded, but I doubt it will be, because it was a rash challenge. I don't think any of the Utd players acted professionally throughout the game though, to be honest. They let themselves get frustrated in what was not a particularly dirty match for a derby.
    As for team building, I agree Utd need a new midfield. Only Ronaldo is going to be a first team regular in a few years time. Smith, O'Shea and Fletcher aren't going to win you any trophies. I don't think Riquelme is suited to the Premiership, and I reckon he'd basically need the whole rest of the team to do all the running for him. What happened to van der Vaart? Weren't they supposed to be getting him a while back? Otherwise, I reckon Wesley Sneidjer would be a great signing. Box to box, two-footed, awesome long range shooting. He'd be a great player to build a team around. If they'd managed to get all of the players Chelsea stole off them, they'd be doing quite well.
  • Options
    manickev wrote:

I'm not sure that anyone was, at least not on these boards...
    The first goal was not offside. Even the most ardent of United fans with any footballing brain would admit that when the ball was flicked through Sinclair was level.

Yes, but the offside was before that. Vassell was offside when the cross came in, Neville cleared and then the ball was played through to Sinclair. The linesman was in line but missed it. It happens.
    United are not the team they used to be. Face it.

Hardly surprising though is it. No team can dominate forever. Chelsea fans can enjoy their moment of glory (like the Gooners could) but they've both got a long way to go to match our recent record. It's the Scousers I worry about at the moment...
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    Ronaldo's challenge was rash but he didn't 'lead' with both feet and didn't make contact. It was still a booking, but I can understand why United are appealing the red card.

This is what I mean about fans not understanding the rules.

Contact is irrelevant. It was a dangerous challenge and he deserved what he got. I'll be surprised if the FA don't make it three match ban.
    He says there'll be two big name signings in the summer but we can't move now as both players are involved in the champions league :chin:

I'll believe it when I see it. I hope that they're aren't getting into the empty promises which other teams have done for years...
  • Options
    I'll believe it when I see it. I hope that they're aren't getting into the empty promises which other teams have done for years...
    The glazers have given Fergie the money he has asked for so far, and he seems to be singing their praises at the moment The problem is the champions league thing. Anyone still in it now isn't going to leave this month, and United just have to pull out all the stops to qualify for next years competition to ensure they can guarantee european football to any prospective signings. The scousers are a big worry, and arsenal seem to have turned the corner, and also made a few purchases, lets hope wengers three unknowns turn out to be more like Luzhny, Stepanovs and Cygan rather than the new Ljungberg, Toure and Van Persie!!!!!!!

I'm not sure that anyone was, at least not on these boards...
    Must apologise for that. Was in extremely bad mood following the derby and managed to avoid interaction with all things football until monday. Then you guys started :lol:

I guess I was making the same point as you just did, MoK. United have had it good for so many years, and have also had plenty of luck in the process with late goals/decisions etc. We can't complain about offsides like that (whether it was or not) - you get good and bad luck in equal amounts in football. United (and their fans) have just got to stop feeling sorry for themselves and get back on the horse.

Payne Stewart once said (on being accuse of fluking it) - "You know the harder I try, and the more I practice, the luckier I get". United are getting the luck their efforts deserve this season.
  • Options
    This is what I mean about fans not understanding the rules.

Contact is irrelevant.

As far as I am aware, you can no longer be punished for intent, not a red anyway. Otherwise players would be sent off left right and centre for all the potentially rash near misses you see nearly every week.

Regarding transfers, Gill is usually straight talking and doesn't promise what we can't afford. If I don't see at least one big name signing this summer I will be very annoyed and disappointed. I expect one though. So far the Glazers have been good with the club and all the doom and gloom merchants (ABUs) have been proven wrong. Hopefully it continues.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    So far the Glazers have been good with the club and all the doom and gloom merchants (ABUs) have been proven wrong. Hopefully it continues.
    The people who are getting 'proven wrong' are a large majority of scum supporters, thats your own supporters by the way. Wasn't anyone else fighting (sorry protesting) in lumps outside the old trafford gates. Them blinkers still firmly in place i see. :lol:
  • Options
    The people who are getting 'proven wrong' are a large majority of scum supporters, thats your own supporters by the way. Wasn't anyone else fighting (sorry protesting) in lumps outside the old trafford gates. Them blinkers still firmly in place i see. :lol:

And ABUs like yourself as well.

Not even you can deny that all the ABUs sat licking their lips, waiting for the mighty to fall. Optimistic on your part, pessimistic on the part of sections of our support. Either way, the collapse hasn't happened yet :thumb: .
  • Options
    I had a bet on man city @ 7-2
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    And ABUs like yourself as well.

Not even you can deny that all the ABUs sat licking their lips, waiting for the mighty to fall. Optimistic on your part, pessimistic on the part of sections of our support. Either way, the collapse hasn't happened yet :thumb: .
    Not really, I was laughing more at your fans reaction to it all more than anything else. The collapse hasn't happened yet but the so called "mighty" aren't so mighty anymore imo, its nothing to do with the Glazers but there is a lot of "mighty" missing from this team. 5 years ago not winning a manchester derby wasn't even in the equation, recently its being the norm. Still a lot of quality in the side in Rooney and (dare I say) Horsehead n ronaldo, giggs, ferdinand, heinze, van de sar, scholes but other than that theres a lot of junk managed to find its way into your first team line-up.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    As far as I am aware, you can no longer be punished for intent, not a red anyway. Otherwise players would be sent off left right and centre for all the potentially rash near misses you see nearly every week.

You are right, intent isn't relevant either.

He was sent off for a dangerous tackle, whether he intended for it to injure or whether he made contact doesn't matter. The tackle itself was dangerous and could have caused injury. That's enough.

Personally I would have sent him off too.

That said, I'd like to think that I wouldn't have missed the previous tackle or the one on Rooney ;)
    Regarding transfers, Gill is usually straight talking and doesn't promise what we can't afford.

Until now though PLC rules have precluded them from saying much about anything until it was a done deal because of the effect it could have on share price. That rule has gone now and I worry that they might get into the "trying to appease the fans" approach which other teams have ahd - see Newcastle and Spurs for detail...
    If I don't see at least one big name signing this summer I will be very annoyed and disappointed.

So long as it's not another defender (although a right back will be needed), we really need to shore up our midfield.
    So far the Glazers have been good with the club and all the doom and gloom merchants (ABUs) have been proven wrong. Hopefully it continues.

I have to agree with the pussy on this one. You could include many fans in that.

I didn't want the takeover to happen, but I did say that we should give them time and I still think it's too early to judge...
  • Options
    Regarding the Glazier takeover, you will actually find out that despite the jokes and jibes, most fans in the country including ABUs were against it on principle.

The franchising of football and corporate takeover for financial reasons are fucking terrible things to happen in football and must be avoided and fought at all costs. All clubs are the poorer in the long term for the arrival of the Glazers, not just Man U.