Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drugs and pregnancy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i understand that doing drugs while pregnant probably isnt the best of ideas. to summarise, one of my friends is nocked up and shes all i dont care anymore im just guna go do some means i am wondering what sort of damage one would expect?

Comments

• Options
    Excess alcohol is a no-no. Likewise, heroin can have serious and long-standing effects on the newborn child.

No drug is recommended in pregnancy, but it seems she cares more about her own needs than those of the baby.
  • Options
    depends on the drug. Theyre all harmful in pregnancy. That doesnt necessarily mean the baby will be damaged, but you never know, and damage can be invisible - like mental damage. How will she live with herself if her baby is born damaged?
    I know 2 people who did drugs all through their pregnancies 1 was speed, and the other was heroin and speed. Both had their babies taken away from them. The one who took speed, managed to get help to stop and after about a year got her baby back, but the other one didnt.
    I took speed a few times before I knew i was pregnant, but stopped as soon as i found out for sure, and my baby was fine. Im sure a lot of people do some stuff before they know theyre pregnant and 9 times out of ten, there are no ill effects, but if shes more concerned about getting off her face than her foetus, then maybe she should consider abortion?
  • Options
    mm it is pretty selfish. i dont imagine the father will be too pleased either.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    mm it is pretty selfish. i dont imagine the father will be too pleased either.
    well its her body. How far along is she?
  • Options
    2 months ish. and i agree it is her body, he still wont be pleased if as a result of hre actions the baby was damaged. I can imagine shes guna carry on drinkin and smokin with out giving a shit tbh. Probably drugs here and there too. i think she is considering abortion.
  • Options
    just hope she considers it seriously then cos otherwise its just forcefeeding the foetus whatever shit she decides to pump into her body.
  • Options
    just hope she considers it seriously then cos otherwise its just forcefeeding the foetus whatever shit she decides to pump into her body.

This is true, I remember reading an article either in the papers or on the bbc website about how babies of users have either gone cold trukey or have had to be weened of drugs when they are born.
  • Options
    If she's not prepared to give up drugs for a few months whilst she's pregnant is she really going to be responsible enough to look after a child? Doing a few when you dont' know your pregnant is forgivable but if your conciously damaging your baby it sounds like you don't really want it.
  • Options
    ^ Exactly what i was about to say. If she can't look after it for 9 months, what about the next 18 years? She sounds like a f*ck up.
    Drugs can have any number of effects on the child. Behaviour problems, growth problems, development problems. She shouldn't even be drinking.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Wahey, enough with the judgement calls you lot, you know nothing of the circumstances and if Johnny8888 wasn't concerned about his friend's behaviour he wouldn't have come on here asking for information. That kind of comment isn't helpful.

Johnny8888, I'm trying to track down some comprehensive information that you could pass on to your friend, I will try and get something up by the end of the day.

In the meantime, Drugscope have a page on pregnancy and there is some information from the Worcestershire Drug Action Team online as well.
  • Options
    What drugs is she using, as they're not all as harmfull- cannabis for example? How pregnant is she?- The environmental factors are usually most imprtant in the first trimester, that is before 13 weeks pregnant.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Spanner has just given me a link to a baby related website called Babycentre that might be useful.
  • Options
    What drugs is she taking?
    There is some discussion and investigations into the use of MDMA (ecstasy)and amphetamines during pregnancy here:
    http://www.maps.org/mdma/pregnancy.html
    Some suggest that use of these drugs increase risk of birth defects and miscarriage.
  • Options
    mdma.
  • Options
    MDMA can't be good.
  • Options
    indeed
  • Options
    I had a mate who miscarried having taken ecstacy and alcohol and cigarettes throughout the pregnancy. She didn't know she was pregnant though but was gutted none the less.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    mdma.
    in my book ...stimulants appear to be the most damaging drug going for the user.
    i hate to think what effect they might have on the baby.
    smoking anything has to be risky ...especialy nicotine.
    booze ...i'm not to sure about but ...if the baby was welcome ...looked forward to ...i don't think any woman would take to many risks.
    to many kids seem to be not wanted ...and when they arrive ...not cared for.
  • Options
    wow that is so bad for the baby :no:

That has to be messing up the baby at least a little.
  • Options
    420 wrote:
    wow that is so bad for the baby :no:

That has to be messing up the baby at least a little.
    no shit Sherlock?
  • Options
    no shit Sherlock?

any need to be so cheeky?
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    any need to be so cheeky?
    im just a cheeky monkey!