Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to stop this happening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just browsing a couple of websites i usually visit, here, ebay and doing a coupel of google searches when firefox minimized and a window opened saying the usual shit this time from winfixer i think it was, i know these things are a lot of junk so opened up task manager and manually shut down FF, the problem is even with all the bloody security software firewalls and anti virus nothing i do seems to stop this kind of thing happening, so does any one have any suggestions?

I had to manually shut down FF becaus eit wouldnt open up again due to the winfixer message popping up. Bloody annoying

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    There are lots of extensions you can get for firefox that will help to remove spyware and popups etc.

Go to http://addons.mozilla.org click on firefox, click on extensions.

NoScript is a definite, but have a browse as there are tons that can help.
  • Options
    Strange, I have never experienced any such problem, and I use Mozilla as my standard browser.
  • Options
    go to preferences>web features, and tick "blocl pop up windows"
    then click the advanced button near "enable javascript" and untick all the boxes except "change pictures"
  • Options
    go to preferences>web features, and tick "blocl pop up windows"
    then click the advanced button near "enable javascript" and untick all the boxes except "change pictures"

Block all pop ups has always been on, its nevr been all that good IMHO, it doesnt block that many windows or pop ups really
    , not in my experience. follwed what you said about the javascript though, unticked every box, there wasnt a box that said anything about pictures?

I'll see what happens from now on.

I've had extensions before, like adblock, and in the end just got rid of it as it wasnt as good as people made out i thought. I'll have a look at No Script and whatever else is their though.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    there wasnt a box that said anything about pictures?
    Sorry, "change images" - you need that for roll-overs to work, and it doesn't give the programmer much else.
    Block all pop ups has always been on, its nevr been all that good IMHO,
    I don't have any popups (except where clicking on a link is supposed to open a popup) - but then I don't have flash installed.
  • Options
    it's probably the wya i have it set up then, which means unless im willing to change it it will keep happening, and i dotn want to change it :P
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    it's probably the wya i have it set up then,/QUOTE]
    What page do you have the problem on?
  • Options
    i found noads is pretty good, its a pop up blocker, you have to add the window to it, (when it pops up, open noads and select the window, it'll close it and ban it, has some already put into it but once you add it to it it wont bother you again, works for lil annoying things like that, can also block msn windows from certain people or games or any type of thing opening lol
  • Options
    Thanks for that info, i've downloaded it and will give it a shot.

As to my original problem, i went to the firefox support site and found there are tons of people having the same problem as me, i've bookmarked some links, downloaded a bookmark back ( after the last trouble i had ) and saved to disc some info on trying to fix it.
  • Options
    well i use opera, which is now totally free

http://www.opera.com
    http://www.opera.com/download/

its like mozilla, but with just that much edge, and they have been doing it for longer as well, on version 8.51 now, plus they are a for profit company and used to up until recently charge for adfree versions of their software, the old free versions used to have a small text banner ad in the top right of the menu bar, which wouldbe blocked out by ad blockers anyway

they are totally free now anyway, the software in my opinion is excellent, might take a little getting used to if you are just used to internet explorer, butif you are easily adaptable, and can get used to it, get opera, it even comes with a built in IRC and mail client

when they released the last major upgrade, to version 8, i think they had something like 600,000 downloads within the first 48 hours, hitting over a million within the next 24 hours after that

they have versions of opera for smartphones (mobile phones), for homes and tvs and stuff, and have some rather nifty technological thingies beind them

http://opera.com/products/mobile/smallscreen/
    http://opera.com/products/homemedia/whyopera/

plus operas mouse gestures, i dont know if mozilla used these or not, are just fab as well
    http://www.opera.com/features/mouse/
  • Options
    I often thought about trying Opera, but i guess i'm just stuck in my firefox ways.
    God i wish my uni would embrace firefox, tabbed browsing is an essential thing when you have loads of research to do for gods sake!
  • Options
    i think the browser of choice for durham uni is mozilla, or firefox

one of the two anyway,

at least your not a simpleton IE user though :yum:
  • Options
    Good info their MrG, alas i tried Opera and just didnt like it, i much prefer how i work seemlessly with Firefox. However .. as it is, if this problem persists and Mozilla dont bother their arses to fix it very soon, i won't have a choice but to change to something else, and Opera seems the choice at the moment.
  • Options
    Have you upgraded to firefox 1.5?
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    Good info their MrG, alas i tried Opera and just didnt like it, i much prefer how i work seemlessly with Firefox. However .. as it is, if this problem persists and Mozilla dont bother their arses to fix it very soon, i won't have a choice but to change to something else, and Opera seems the choice at the moment.

i guess opera is something that no so much takes getting used to, its rather like when you have been using nokia phones all your life, and then you go out and get a smasung or something, which doesnt have the continuity that many nokia phones have between lines and models

operas not that bad, though i have been using it for about 4 years now i guess
  • Options
    Have you upgraded to firefox 1.5?

Oh yeah. Always on teh ball when it comes to keeping things uptodate. I have my suspicions as to what was causing it so i am keeping my eye out to see what happens over the coming days.
    MrG wrote:
    i guess opera is something that no so much takes getting used to, its rather like when you have been using nokia phones all your life, and then you go out and get a smasung or something, which doesnt have the continuity that many nokia phones have between lines and models

operas not that bad, though i have been using it for about 4 years now i guess

The comparison is a great one to use, totally understand where you are ckoming from with that one. It was kinda like that, i didnt feel i had as much control over Opera as i did with Firefox but that is probably just me. Like i say if firefox persists in doing the nonsense it is i'l resort to opera until it is fixed.