Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Running for fitness.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
If you ran every day, how long is recomended? Not sure at the speed a light run/heavy jog kinda thing.

How long would you have to do to lose weight/get fitter? I'm doing a sort of half/lap round my park going up some huge hill and some flats. It takes about 15 minutes and I'm normally quite out of breath at the end, I can do the whole thing without stopping though. That's why I was thinking of upping my time. Would increasing it to 30 minutes a day have a noticable/bigger effect?

Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    zebide wrote:
    How long would you have to do to lose weight/get fitter?
    totally depends on the individual.
    but however much / little you do it'll help.

tbh i wouldn't say 15 > 30 mins wouldn't make a significant difference in terms of weight loss... unless you are working on building it up slowely to really test and push your endurance level further.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    15 > 30 .

I must ask, what is that supposed to mean? Mathmatically it is not correct. I am confused.

And I've always heard and been told 15 minutes is the min that you should do. You can still get a good cardio workout doing 15 minutes, but 20 is ideal.
    Also, do not hesitate to add in some muscle work. Even squats and push ups. As the trainer once told me, marathon runners spend very little time working their muscles. Thats why they are not tight. They are in shape, but jiggly nonetheless.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I must ask, what is that supposed to mean? Mathmatically it is not correct. I am confused.

15 to 30 minutes
  • Options
    15 to 30 minutes
    :yes:
  • Options
    Me and the wee sis are starting to run in the mornings. We'll let you know how we get on long term if you want?
  • Options
    First of all, remember that any exercise is better than no exercise. If you do more you will get fitter and should lose more weight (as you will be burning more calories).

By running you will automatically be getting your pulse up to a decent rate, but if you are unfit you should make sure that you don't run too hard. Early on your heart rate can soar, but as your fitness improves it will drop at the same running speed. If you have the cash, a pulse monitor would be a useful purchase.

Also consider that some stretching exercises would be useful, particularly if this is going to be a regular thing, and if the duration of the running sessions is going to increase.

I've always believed that a lot of the art of running is in the mind (i.e. your head is telling you to stop, but you carry on). If you are doing 15 minutes without stopping you are doing well. It would certainly do no harm upping the time, or upping the speed.

Another thing to think about is mixing up your sessions. i.e. you could go out one day in the week and run quite hard for maybe 15 minutes, then other days much slower for 30. Different intensities of exercise have different effects on the body, and also metabolise different fuels (carbohydrates/fats). Mixing up the sessions is actually something that I think many people fail to do. It also makes them more interesting, as you aren't doing exactly the same thing every day.
  • Options
    Hey zebide. I hope this site can be of interest to you or anyone else interested in running. It is a great website for beginners up to the experienced.
    Runner's World
  • Options
    If your starting right from scratch start at the beginning run abit walk abit and then steadily increase but dont over do it, if you do to much to quick you'll wind up nattered and not want to go back out.
  • Options
    Have a look HERE this should help.