Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

extentions/braids

I want extentions in my hair so I can have longer hair with white highlights (my hair is black). How long would real looking hair extentions last? Would it last longer if I had all my hair braided in very thin plats?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends on the exact kind of hair extensions you use and how well you care for them. I don't see why braiding your hair into thin plaits would make them last longer... don't you just braid the extensions into the roots of your hair and leave it as that? :confused: they should be fine for some time if you braid them in tightly enough anyway. Then you just have to see about protecting your head when you sleep so they don't get all frizzy.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I don't have enough time to look around, but you should be able to find some online communities for hair extensions etc on the net. They usually have loads of information on them.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    you should be able to find some online communities for hair extensions etc on the net.

Please tell me there arent message boards totally devoted to hair extentions, its a scary world in which we live.
  • Options
    doen well, extensions can be a great looking hairstyle, they can also give weak damaged overprocessed hair a 'breather'; done badly- they can cause permenant scalp damage, balding, headaches... A forum to discuss these things doesn't seem so crazy to me!
  • Options
    Ok So i've done some research and have decieded that I definatly want to get it done. But I'm still worried about the damage it can do to my hair.

I'm thinking that if I go into a hairdressers that mainly deals with black hair (is in afro styley) they would be cheaper and last longer than a place that dont do braids everyday.

One thing the reseach I did didnt tell me, was if I went for the braied extentions, would they still need to glue it in at the top or would they just plat it in?
  • Options
    I'm pretty certain that they'd plait it in... gluing is icky anyway :p

As for the damage caused, if your hair isn't getting on with them, just have the extensions taken out pronto and everything should be a-okay. In the meantime look up extension communities, because they're really useful if you're having any problems.