Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How can I increase my appetite?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As I'm sure I've said loads of times before, I'm 5ft 7, weigh 8st and am a size six on the bottom and a size 8-10 on top. I've also got an underactive thyroid, but that's under control now.

I'm desperate to put on some weight again - ideally get up to nine and a half stone. I was nine and a half about three years ago but it's gradually been falling off since. I'm don't eat a particularly healthy diet and do no exercise at all. Only difference is that I'm on the Mini Pill now and I was on the Combined Pill before (had to stop because of migranes).

Any ideas on how I can put on some weight? I don't really eat that much, simply because I don't get hungry very often - not starving hungry like some people get anyway.

I've booked a doctors appointment, but as it's 'not urgent' the appointment isn't until 5th Jan.

Comments

• Options
    A report recently found out why cannabis makes you hungry, you could try that. But of course its an illegal drug and does come with risks.

More seriously, I am in a similar situation, I've lost half a stone for no reason recently. My advice, eat often, dont try and eat a huge meal, graze throughout the day, dont go more than 2 hours without eating.
  • Options
    also, try doing a little exercise regulalrly, as regular exercise can speed up your metabolism helping to form muscle structure quicker (i think).
    Mention it to the docs, but in the meantime, eat little+often!
  • Options
    you can get high calorie supplements and drinks to have in addition to meals. either the milkshake type ones you can get from chemists and supermarkets (like 'nurishment' and 'complan', or prescription stuff that you can discuss with your doctor.

i've just been coerced into taking some stuff called calogen (prescription) to have in addition to eating 3+ meals a day which apparently is concentrated so i don't have to choke as much down to get the extra calories.

don't expect doctors to be overly sympathetic, either. they'll probably try to imply you have an eating disorder (especially if you have had one in the past - oops!) and then tell you you just need to eat more. and then a consulant this morning told me my BMI (16.6) was 'not that low' and that most women, given the choice, would probably like to swap with me.

:thumb:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    you can get high calorie supplements and drinks to have in addition to meals. either the milkshake type ones
    :yes: ~ just what i was going to suggest. other than that guess you've just got to eat more or start snacking. at the end of the day, your body is going to want what its used to... so build it up slowely and as you do your body will 'get used to' larger meals and it'll begin wanting that amount of food before it feels satisfied.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Kaffin, I've not had an eating disorder in the past. I've always been thin and my doctors know that. I've used the same practice in the same small village for twenty years so they've seen me grow up. I doubt they'll think I've got an ED.

Otter, now that xmas is here, I've been eating big meals and I have actually found I'm 'fancying something to eat' (but not starving hungry) a lot more often so I've been snacking on lots of party food.

I couldn't resist last night and did actually stand on the scales just to see how much I weigh - still eight stone bang on :( Will keep eating the sausage rolls and I plan to start swimming regularly in the New Year.

... *wanders off to get another handful of Mini Cheddars*... ;)