Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First ever UK 'gay wedding' takes place

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    The institution of marriage, civil or otherwise, it's just not for me (or my partner). And it is not fair that my partner and I are in legal limbo no matter how many years we've lived together.

It's perfectly fair, in that you deliberately choose not to get married and enjoy the protection that marriage brings.

A civil marriage is not very different from a Civil Partnership, and it is quite right and proper that straight people cannot form a Civil Partnership. If you choose not to get married then that is a choice for you and your partner, safe in the knowledge that you won't get the legal rights that come with the legal responsibility.

You do not get rights without responsibility. And that's how it should be.
  • Options
    But unmarried people can be and in most cases are just as responsible as married people.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But unmarried people can be and in most cases are just as responsible as married people.

The average length of a co-habiting relationship is about two and a half years. In comparison, the average length of a divored marriage is eleven and a half years. I'd suggest that means that co-habiting couples aren't as responsible.

If you choose not to get married then fair enough, but you either get married or you live together knowing that you have no protection if the worst happens. The problem is that people don't know that they have no legal protection if the worst happens.
  • Options
    Is it such a bad thing Kermit if some relationships end early though? In some situations it's probably a better thing to split when things aren't just working out than to remain together and see indifference turn into profound dislike and eventually hatred and self-destruction that is highly damaging for all concerned.

I agree that many people aren't aware of their legal situation and find out the hard way when their partner dies. Then again, if you spend 30 years as a devoted, caring, full live-in partner of somebody, you would well damn expect some recognition from the State regardless of whether you signed some papers in a registry office or not. The situation is still unfair.
  • Options
    The problem is proving that you've lived together for so long.

If CPs and marriage is about the same, then I don't really see the problem, it's just arguing semantics. TBH, I don't know too much about the CPs, if you split, do you have to go through what is effectively a divorce? Do you have the same liabilities as in a divorce?

"Common Law" couples should have protection, I quite agree, but they should not have the same perks as married people because they are not married.
  • Options
    I don't know much myself, and I guess if one day I split from my partner we will be civilised enough to agree to a fair settlement because otherwise we're both in limbo.

Mind you, I won't need no proof or receipts to tell which CDs and movies belong to her... :D
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice that out of all the lesbian couples featured on tv, at least one of the couple had the same haircut? You know the one, shaved at the back and slightly longer on top?
  • Options
    A vicar in the North east got married to his partner of 21 years, and the Bishop of Durham feels the need to issue warnings about it.

And they wonder why nobody goes to Church anymore...
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice that out of all the lesbian couples featured on tv, at least one of the couple had the same haircut? You know the one, shaved at the back and slightly longer on top?

i know plenty of lesbians who do too, and guys who copy david beckhams haircuts - it called 'trends'
  • Options
    i know plenty of lesbians who do too, and guys who copy david beckhams haircuts - it called 'trends'

I thought trends come and go - I've seen a lot of lesbians with that style for years and years....

In fact you never seem to see many (any?) lesbians with long, flowing hair do you?
  • Options
    The "Have Your Say" bit on the BBC website has some rather rabid replies on it.
  • Options
    I know a few lesbians with long hair.

You never see My Sacrifice making intelligent comments do you? Why is that?
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    The "Have Your Say" bit on the BBC website has some rather rabid replies on it.

People may not agree with the partnerships but they don't need to be so nasty.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I know a few lesbians with long hair.

You never see My Sacrifice making intelligent comments do you? Why is that?

Another pointless comment from the cock.....
  • Options
    Another pointless comment from the cock.....

Whatever. All I ever see you do is make snide comments. How Christian of you.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Whatever. All I ever see you do is make snide comments.

"Pot", "kettle", "black"?
    Blagsta wrote:
    How Christian of you.

How ignorant of you. You know nothing of my beliefs.
  • Options
    I know you're not very Christian in your snide comments. Wanker.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I know you're not very Christian in your snide comments.

And neither are you.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Wanker.

OK we've established I'm a wanker and you're a cock.

Shall we move on now?
  • Options
    I never claimed to be a Christian. I'm not the one making snide comments about lesbians. You've done both. That makes you a hypocrite and a wanker.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I never claimed to be a Christian.

Neither have I.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not the one making snide comments about lesbians.

Neither am I - it's an observation.
    Blagsta wrote:
    You've done both. That makes you a hypocrite and a wanker.

Your misconceptions and inaccuracies make you ignorant and a cock.
  • Options
    Neither have I.

Yeah you have. I'll add liar to the list
    Neither am I - it's an observation.

Oh look, another lie
    Your misconceptions and inaccuracies make you ignorant and a cock.

I'm not the hypocrite, homophobe and liar.
  • Options
    I'm not the hypocrite, homophobe and liar.

Calm down for fucks sake man, it's nearly christmas and you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick to boot.

If you want someone to rave at, pm me, I always love your insane ramblings.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Good news all around I think.

Yes, good news, if you're wanting to live in a nuclear warzone that is.
    The final nail firmly drilled in to Britain's coffin.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh, and:

Sollog Quatrains - Verse 0135
    In the mirror I see the last day of May
    He shall kill many who are Gay
    Their sin is grave, so he shall slay
    What God calls abomination shall soon have to pay
  • Options
    NDC777 wrote:
    Yes, good news, if you're wanting to live in a nuclear warzone that is.
    The final nail firmly drilled in to Britain's coffin.

Nukes instead of confetti?

Why is this a nail in Britain's coffin? Surely being stuck in the past adds nails to the coffin, not advancement (apart from age, of course).
  • Options
    Meh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So people of the same sex can get "married" who cares its not hurting anyone. At least they are spending their pink pound to boost the economy i mean think off all those extra wedding preparations such as cost of flowers, caterers, chauffers, dresses/suits, venues, restaurants etc etc. All that extra money coming in :p i bet the caterers for elton johns wedding were wetting themselves as they know what a big spender he is. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Nukes instead of confetti?

Why is this a nail in Britain's coffin? Surely being stuck in the past adds nails to the coffin, not advancement (apart from age, of course).

The 20th century will go down in history as the era that mankind gave themselves the "right" to disobey the Almighty God.

The 21st century will go down in history as the era mankind was punished for their betrayal.

What you see today is not 'advancement' or 'modernisation'. It is decline. The decline began in 1945 when the Americans destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki with nukes.

What happened to the empires of Greece and Rome that were famous in history for their homosexuality? They were DESTROYED.

What happened to them is what is happening to your nations now.

The end is near......
  • Options
    man! the end was here agggggggggggggggggges ago back in the year 2000 and the millenium bug an all didn't ya know? :eek2: the reason why we are all still in existence is merely because we are indenial and cannot face the truth that the "world" that we are in now is actually a big giant space hopper and bouncing on it is a big fat moomin going "eheeeeeeeeeeee! turn on the light i got the b*tch! Shaaaaaaamone!! :shocking:
  • Options
    Sollog said it, so it must be true, eh?

My sacrifice is being a homophobic wanker, but what's new eh? He doesn't like women, and he doesn't like gays, so heaven help a gay woman.
  • Options
    I thought trends come and go - I've seen a lot of lesbians with that style for years and years....

In fact you never seem to see many (any?) lesbians with long, flowing hair do you?
    Yup... I can name several lesbians with long hair.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Well, it's a civil partnership rather than a wedding isn't it? Good for getting money out of people when it all goes wrong...
    Just like hetero weddings then :p

I think the best part of civil partnerships is that the same sex couples have all the rights of a 'heterosexual' couple (put in quotation marks because one of both members could be bisexual hehe), including being allowed to be next of kin, pension rights ect.

Just because it's a same sex couple doesn't mean it will go wrong.