Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Really Scary Films

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So there was an earlier thread bout the exorcism of emily rose film n it was hyped up a little! Watched it last night! I thought it was rubbish n fell asleep after bout 30mins.Dissapointed I was! Does anyone know of a good scary scary film coz im in the mood 2b scared!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellraiser scared the living crap out of me. I was nine at the time though, so i'm not sure it would have the same effect on me now!
  • Options
    Different films scare different people!!!

I though Exorcism of... was OK. Not really scary, but a half decent film.

The original Amityville Horror always frightened we when I was young. The one which really scared me witless though was Mr Krueger in the "Nightmare on Elm St" films - thye really frightened me.

Recent horror films don't do much for me - theres not many decent ones about. The Ring and Blair Withch have been about the only two OK ones over the last few years.

Definitely steer clear of the house of wax - it is absolute pants!!!!
  • Options
    I still can't watch Freddy n im 21 now (stumbled upon it wen I was 6 scarred for life now)
    The new amityville scarred me big time, i'm may av a bash @the ring i've got em both to hand!
  • Options
    My sister used to show me Childs play and other horror's when I was little, so never really liked horrors. :(
  • Options
    i tried watching the original amityville in august but i got scared more or less straight away and couldn't watch the rest
    i watched ginger snaps today at my mates inbetween some mock exams (my friends think i look like ginger :chin: )....another cheesy but weird warewolf film - reminded me of dog soldiers which was just loads of gore and crap
  • Options
    The Ecorcist (Director's cut is even more frightening) - fucking terrifying
    Psycho - original and still best
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) - I found this really fightening. Maybe because I was on my own in a big old house at 2am with a thunderstorm happening outside.
    The Omen - Gregory Peck is outstanding
  • Options
    Just remembered, IT was another film that scared the shit outta me.
  • Options
    I'm quite easily scared, as will become obvious in this post :p

First thing that springs to mind whenever the subject of horror films comes up is always "The Hitcher". It really, really scared me.

Has anyone else seen "House of 1,000 Corpses"? If not, Think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, on bad acid. I'm scarred for life.

Silence of the Lambs is another film I should have said "no" to. The night vision goggle part at the end is indescribably creepy and disturbing. Don't even get me started on the whole debacle in the lift/DIY face transplant bit.

The Witches traumatised me for years and years. I don't know if I could even watch it again to this day, I can't imagine how little children cope with watching it...

The Birds is also scary, and I should never have watched Psycho. I have serious shower issues now.

No one else will have seen this I bet... but I once saw a film on TV really late, on some obscure channel, about a bloke called Ronald (same name as my Dad, eeeee!). Anyway, he was a big old freak as a youngster and a chain of events leads to his living behind the walls or under the stairs in this house that was his and his mother's until she dies (and helpfully doesn't tell him!). Then a family full of young girls moves in and he abducts them one by one. Seriously terrifying stuff, I remember vividly one scene where he was hiding behind a dressmaker's dummy...I almost wet myself. But maybe I dreamed it, I do wonder... Edited to say I remembered the name of it (I think): Bad Ronald - rent it if you dare (and can find it...).
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Has anyone else seen "House of 1,000 Corpses"?

As in the Rob Zombie film? Yeah I have - it's dump.
  • Options
    Devil's Rejects is much better

The original Texas was terrifying when I first saw it, and it still scares me now.

Hellraiser, the Exorcist, Wicker Man, The Omen were all interesting but never scared me for a second.

The Descent is pretty damn scary for a recent movie.
  • Options
    As in the Rob Zombie film? Yeah I have - it's dump.

Yeah, I think he directed it. I now fear anyone who was even peripherally involved in that blood bath.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Wicker Man

Bollocks forgot that.

Edward Woodward is brilliant in it, and also the posessor of the silliest name in existence.
  • Options
    The old Poltergeist movie maybe? Was scared to death when the dead corpses rised from the bottom of the pool. :(
  • Options
    i thought house on haunted hill was pretty scary :shocking:

The ring wasnt exactly scary but a good film still, also saw the new texas chainsaw pretty recently and its shit.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    :yes:
  • Options
    I can't believe I missed out Rosemary's Baby, though the novel is a lot scarier in my opinion.

It's an excellent film, and really keys you into the paranoia and mistrust that she feels. The last scene is excellent, and there was huge potential for it to have turned into farce.
  • Options
    Event Horizon was one that scared the shit out of me. Those damn subliminal flash ups... bugger me!
  • Options
    28 days later really scared the shit out of me when i watched it, it seemed more "real" because of the london scenes and stuff like that
  • Options
    relentless wrote:
    Hellraiser scared the living crap out of me. I was nine at the time though, so i'm not sure it would have the same effect on me now!

Me too, I was so scared, i was like 12 !, i forget which one it was, theres like a ton of them. Though i rented in again when i was like 18, and it wasnt the same effect, so disapointed!

hmm, a scary movie I would recommend is........ hmm...i thought blair witch 2, its not so much scary, as it is interesting, espically if you watched the 1st one :p
  • Options
    im a big fan of horror, my faves include

all the nightmare on elm st movies, all the texas chainsaw movies (except TheNextGeneration), Wicker Man, The hills have eyes, Last house on the left.

i saw house of 1000 corpses the other day and i really enjoyed it, besides the fact it was pretty much Texas chainsaw massacre. really wanna see devils rejects now.
  • Options
    Devils Rejects is much better, but not a horror in any way. Kinda like Pulp Fiction violence in a Bonnie And Clyde setting.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    i thought house on haunted hill was pretty scary

House on the Little Prairie was enough for me. :shocking:
  • Options
    muse- wrote:

The ring wasnt exactly scary but a good film still, also saw the new texas chainsaw pretty recently and its shit.

That one got me 2
  • Options
    to the original poster...how do you know it was crap if you fell asleep ater half an hour?
  • Options
    The Shining - nuff said
    The Descent - probably the scariest new film ive seen in ages...the first shock was probably the worst, along with the reveal of the monsters. Nick Marshall = the man for new brit horror
  • Options
    Nightwatch with Ewan McGregor, and The Hole are the only films that's ever freaked me out. Nightwatch is more of a thriller I suppose... but still shit scary.
  • Options
    Event Horizon was one that scared the shit out of me. Those damn subliminal flash ups... bugger me!

Beat me to it... I can honestly say that is one of the only films that has really, really put the shits into me... big style!

I didn't find the suspence in The Shining too bad, but for wierdness factor, Signs got my spine tingling. The Descent recently did the same, but not "scared" as such.

I can't seem to get my hands on Nightwatch... apparently it is very good...
  • Options
    I'd have to say Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw, Alien and Jaws for outright horror. I also think that The Thing is really underrated (the John Carpenter one) and actually prefer it to Halloween.

I'm not really into the make you jump kind of horror films though. I prefer the atmosphere films like Psycho, Eraserhead, Frankestein (the 1930's one) and The Shining.

Not so much a horror film, but I think Se7en is a really good suspense thriller of recent times, and as anyone who's seen it knows, it does have at least one jump out of your seat moment. Think most of the best horror films are from the 70's and 80's though.

Oh forgot to mention, I'm really into my George Romero zombie films lately.
  • Options
    evil dead was a comedy lol
  • Options
    they some film cnat remember the name but it 4 young ppl playing with a oujy board and they all start dying from this spirt they released it scared the shit out of me and my frnds and we wer watching it during the day. I am 16 an the ring 2 scared me so ye mite find it crap but it worth a watch i think it called a long time dead or some thing lik tat :nervous: :eek: