Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police & Corruption

Last night, I had my first run-in with corrupt law enforcement officers that grace the fine city of Quito.

Basically, me and my flatmate had just been to the supermarket and were on our way home when we, foolishly, pulled off a stupid illegal turn manouevre where we shouldn't have. The police were waiting at the junction, pulled us over, and after the formality of asking for licences/registration which we had, he said that he'd have to take my mate to jail for 3-4 days and that he'd have to call a lawyer. Pretty fucking rich for a traffic offence.

Anyway, we followed him to the police station where we were told that, in order to 'speed up the justice process' we could pay a $100 'fine' and be on our way. Normally we would have said fuck off but my mate (who was driving and who was thus in all the shit) is going to Argentina the day after tomorrow and so we had to capitulate. So we agreed and the copper accompanied us to a cashpoint where we got out our $100 'fine'. Then, after several pedestrians clocked on to what might have been going on, he made us drive down a quiet street for the transaction to take place. Having taken our money, said 'Don't do it again', the cunt had the audacity to with us a Happy Christmas and tell us to take care. Bastard.

This got me thinking. Yes, it was a hell of a lot to ask for a traffic offence, but conversely, I imagine that he could have made things very unpleasant for us and the bribe was just a way of making sure everyone is kept happy.

This also made me appreciate the British Police soooo much. Say what you like about them but, until you come across cunts like the ones mentioned above, that you realise the honesty and general leniancy of the British Police. If the same had happened in England, ie. if a policeman had asked for a bribe to smooth things over, his career would have been finished on the spot. You always know where you stand with a copper in good old Blighty. Say what you will but nothing like what I've described above would ever happen.

Anyone else got any crooked copper experiences?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Coppers are paid a decent wage over here, so corruption is less likely.

It's a mistake to think that British coppers are never corrupt or spiteful, though. Because they can be, and often are very spiteful and vindictive to people they don't like.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Coppers are paid a decent wage over here, so corruption is less likely.

It's a mistake to think that British coppers are never corrupt or spiteful, though. Because they can be, and often are very spiteful and vindictive to people they don't like.

I dont think they do this small bride type of thing, but with the money washing around in the drugs trade....everyone has a price.
  • Options
    Very spiteful and vindictive!
  • Options
    Anyone else got any crooked copper experiences?
    In Uganda, we were pulled over for speeding on the highway but were let off cos it turned out that my driver had been a copper himself before he retired. Corruption works both ways. ;)

Corruption is a way of life in many of these "uncivilised" countries. Better $100 than 3 days in a South American jail, I would have thought. Be careful to toe the line in future.
  • Options
    Well it's been well documented how corrupt the cops have been over here. Not as bad these days though.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Not really, but my dad got pulled over once and just paid a "fine" for speeding.

Could be worse, could live in Russia... I suppose you got royally screwed really, a no win situation - like has already been said, cops over here are paid a decent wage, so they don't need to "supplement" it with bribes as much.
  • Options
    thirty years ago ...a regular thing was ...busted with a kilo of dope ...but only charged with a 1/4 ounce.
    what you gonna say to the judge?

hppened often.

in the seventies the best dope came out of moss side from the west indian clubs and the like.
    white boy gets busted ...the excess was sold back to the black guys by the white cops ...so the day after being busted ...you were probably buying back your own smoke!

another one was the using cops ...far less tolerated than now.
    they'd bust you for some speed and dope ...give you half back and take the other half but not arrest you.
    everyone used to say ...the cops have the best drugs.