Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

drug crime

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    alcohol isn't the same I don't think.

Its not as bad as drusg I think but not doubt there is an argument it is just the same.

It is a drug. A very damaging one, far more damaging than heroin in a lot of ways.
  • Options
    Are you being serious? Alcohol is different because you drink it? Is that the level at which we should decide the law?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Though leats alcohol serves a purpose, it can provide liquid you drink. Its a poor form of nourishment I grant you but still there.

OK so sell bhang lassi in cafes then. Or dexedrine linctus.

What a crap argument.
  • Options
    Blagsta you constantly go around in circles while making no point. I even do what you wnat and its not enough. I'm might just stop dignifyying your posts with replies at this rate coz its getting nowhere since you ignore what I am saying and make busllshit arguements e.g "we should take drugs coz we want to.

There are a number of factors in deciding the law. But there is nothing strong enough put forward to fully legalise drugs.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    How does the law at the moment actually prevent people from doing drugs?
    It doesn't.

And why do you think that taking drugs is morally wrong?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    you get punished for carrying drugs, you get punished for dealing drugs.

why take drugs that can get you addicted and change who you are? especially when it serves no real purpose? You can live your life without street drugs. Theres no need. They can ewarp you, change who you are and how you treat people. It wrecks lives. Its illegal. Its wrong pure as.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Blagsta you constantly go around in circles while making no point.

No, that's you who does that.
    Walkindude wrote:
    I even do what you wnat and its not enough.

:confused:
    Walkindude wrote:
    I'm might just stop dignifyying your posts with replies at this rate coz its getting nowhere since you ignore what I am saying and make busllshit arguements e.g "we should take drugs coz we want to.

Quote me where I wrote anything remotely similar to ""we should take drugs coz we want to".
    Walkindude wrote:
    There are a number of factors in deciding the law.

Yes. What do you think they are?
    Walkindude wrote:
    But there is nothing strong enough put forward to fully legalise drugs.

Yes, yes, so you keep saying. But why do you think so?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

But the vast majority of users and dealers never get punished.

Walkindude wrote:
    why take drugs that can get you addicted and change who you are? especially when it serves no real purpose? You can live your life without street drugs. Theres no need. They can ewarp you, change who you are and how you treat people. It wrecks lives. Its illegal. Its wrong pure as.

Taking drugs is no more 'wrong' than having a couple of pints - save for the criminal aspect.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

and that stops people taking drugs...how exactly?
    Walkindude wrote:
    why take drugs that can get you addicted and change who you are?

Many many reasons. Read the thread on the drugs forum (am I repeating myself?)
    Walkindude wrote:
    especially when it serves no real purpose? You can live your life without street drugs. Theres no need. They can ewarp you, change who you are and how you treat people. It wrecks lives. Its illegal. Its wrong pure as.

So illegal = wrong? Eh?
  • Options
    people don't want to be punished

excuses maybe??? course not always as I pointed out previously some tragic circumstances in which peopl eget addicted to drugs but people deined that so??

pretty much yes. But looking at what drugs do, I'd say its wrong with or without law.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

But the vast majority never are.
    Walkindude wrote:
    pretty much yes. But looking at what drugs do, I'd say its wrong with or without law.

Why are they 'wrong'?

Why would it be wrong for me to grow a plant and then smoke it?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Duh.
    Walkindude wrote:
    excuses maybe??? course not always as I pointed out previously some tragic circumstances in which peopl eget addicted to drugs but people deined that so??

I can't make head nor tail of this. :confused:
    Walkindude wrote:

Wrong in what way? Morally wrong? Why? You do know that only about 10% of people who use drugs have any bad consequences (Source: Dr Russell Newcombe, Liverpool John Moores University). So is it only wrong for that 10%? What about the other 90%?
  • Options
    good god I give up. Its not worth bothering with now.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Rough translation - "I realise I've made myself look like a totally ignorant fool (again!) but don't have the balls to admit it"
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

You keep telling us what you think, but not why you think it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    do I have to? I mean I thought it was obvious why?

it infuriates me when balgsta asks me a questions, I answer it and then replies to the answer asking what I mean and making out he never asked the question.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

it infuriates me when balgsta asks me a questions, I answer it and then replies to the answer asking what I mean and making out he never asked the question.

What on earth are you on about? I ask you questions and then you completely ignore them or understand them at the level of a 5 year old is what happens. How the fuck you managed to get to university, Christ only knows.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

If you changed the word 'drugs' for 'alcohol' in your quote would it make any less sense?
  • Options
    your a fucking idiot blagsta you really are. God knows why I haven't reported you yet.

I see your point bong, but I just don't class alcohol in the same league. Maybe thats irrational, I don't know.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    your a fucking idiot blagsta you really are.

I'm an idiot because I ask you to back up your views and point out where you're factually incorrect? Errr....right you are then. :confused:
    Walkindude wrote:
    God knows why I haven't reported you yet.

Report me to who? Your mum?
    Walkindude wrote:
    I see your point bong, but I just don't class alcohol in the same league. Maybe thats irrational, I don't know.

Alcohol is a drug, worse than heroin in a lot of respects (I seem to be repeating myself rather a lot on this thread). Its more physically toxic than heroin and if you get physically dependent on it the withdrawals can kill - unlike heroin withdrawals. So yes, you drawing a distinction is totally irrational and wrongheaded.
  • Options
    Have you ever lived with an alcoholic you presumptious wee prick?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    why take drugs that can get you addicted and change who you are?

But that argument applies directly to alcohol as well. Do you believe alcohol should be prohibited? I watched a programme last night about alcoholics, all the alkies were saying that booze is the worst drug you can become addicted to, and that it was generally easier to give up heroin than superbrew. And that's straight from the horses mouth.

You say alcohol is different from "street drugs", please explain how? You've been prompted again and again to explain this, yet can't even put up a basic argument to support your stance. Citing the legal status proves fuck all. Very poor show.

The reasons for doing drugs are extensive and multi-faceted. Addiction is a problem for a minority, EXACTLY the same with alcohol.
    especially when it serves no real purpose? You can live your life without street drugs. Theres no need. They can ewarp you, change who you are and how you treat people. It wrecks lives. Its illegal. Its wrong pure as.

Saying that doing drugs serves no purpose really shows your neivety. Everyone on here who does drugs (which includes some of brightest and most informed posters) can give you a list of purposes. Mystical and religious experiences, mind expansion, increasing understanding of the self and the world, medatitive states, enlightened changes in perspective, self-development, strengthening bonds with people, becoming close friends with people you wouldn't normally bother talking to, social confidence and of course pure enjoyment.

Look at all the people on here, users and ex-addicts, people who know what they're talking about through professional and personal experience...everyone utterly disagrees with what you've said...doesn't that tell you something? :confused:
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

He has an avoidant arguement style which keeps you away from the things he can't answer.. it works to an extent i guess :)

politician in disguise (so similar to the ones you claim to hate eh blagsta? :P)
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    He has an avoidant arguement style which keeps you away from the things he can't answer.. it works to an extent i guess :)

politician in disguise (so similar to the ones you claim to hate eh blagsta? :P)

Oh yeah, you're another one who made a fool of themselves in a debate aren't you?
  • Options
    Blags going to get reported!
    Blags going to get reported ...

i know whats wrong with walkin ...he has been biologicly changed forever by the opiates he was given in hospital.

all the people here who support legalisation welcome debate about the pros and cons but ...there is no debate here.
    Walkin...no way have you or will you ever get into uni.

look back over this thread ...and take a look at yourself.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    There are a number of factors in deciding the law. But there is nothing strong enough put forward to fully legalise drugs.

What factors might they be?

Ecstacy was only banned in the 1980s. Opiates were readily available until the modern time.

People are addicted to drugs, fact.

People who can't afford to feed this addiction will steal. Fact.

Give them the drugs on prescription, and they don't need to steal. They don't need to deal to fund their addiction. In one fell swoop we get rid of a lot of dwelling-house burglaries, robberies, theft and shoplifting. In one fell swoop we get rid of a lot of the problems associated with drug dealing.

It sounds simplistic, and to an extent it is, but that's how life is.

You still haven't answered some questions. Have you met drug abusers? Have you had to deal with them? What did you study at university?

Alcohol is a drug that causes huge social problems, or it can do. George Best is in a box solely because of alcohol. Should we ban alcohol because of people like Best?

Most drug users do not get addicted. It is possible to use cocaine socially, and have no or low addiction issues. I don't like drugs, they don't interest me, but that isn't a good enough reason to ban them.

I'm pragmatic. Drugs aren't desirable- I include alcohol and tobacco in this- but they are fun. Some people get addicted. Give them what they need, and we will save a shedload of cash.
  • Options
    i think walkin refuses to believe that those who support legalisation actualy do so because we would like to see drugs controlled.
    we would actualy like to see less of them used.
    we would like to cut the violence and crime.

wlakin obviously doesn't want to see anyone but criminals and terrorists having control.

yes yes yes ...we have heard the bit about education ...well it hasn't worked for forty years so ...why is that do you think?
    could it be anything to do with the sensationalist lies that have been used and continue to be used?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Ecstacy was only banned in the 1980s.

MDMA was made illegal in the US in the 80's, it was added to the UK Misuse of Drugs Act in the 70's iirc.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    MDMA was made illegal in the US in the 80's, it was added to the UK Misuse of Drugs Act in the 70's iirc.

Oh, fair enough.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

It was later there because they have to prove a drug is a danger to the person and society before they can ban it, where as here the government does not have to prove there is any issue with it at all (see reasons why virtually every drug in PIHKAL is Class A).

Of course they just make up the evidence so the system is still as rubbish.