Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Berlin...anyone been recently?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well after my little jaunt to Latvia recently me and a couple of mates have got the city bug.

My mate has booked us Berlin through his work, staff offer. £37 for flight and staying at the 5* hilton, so no complaints there!!

so whats the costs like in berlin? i presume not very cheap?

also what sights do people recommend in between our drinking? obviously, the wall, the gates, the gestapo HQ. anything else?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Not as cheap as Latvia! Where did you go, Riga...? Went there early October....it was great.

Berlin is cheaper than UK city but not dirt cheap....the same as most of Western Europe really...definitely cheaper than London though...

A bar I’d recommend was called Tacheles...it is a bizarre art house place...squatters saved it from demolition...or something....an odd place indeed....can't remember where it was though....it's in guide books & on maps….it might have been expensive…I was drunk…and other people might hate it...they sold crepes in the 'Beer Garden' if you can call it that....yeah.

But yeah between drinking you could add: The Reichstag - you can walk up into the big dome one the top...The Jewish Museum...The TV Tower (If you like views)...lots of other museums if you like that kind of thing and there is a huge soviet memorial you can go to if that’s your thing...

Yeah there’s loads more to see and do there....it's huge. I’d like to go back there some day.

Have a nice time!
  • Options
    I went to Berlin for a few days during the summer. However, it was a history trip so I'm not sure if what we did would be any use to you? (places we went, etc)
  • Options
    oh forgot about the soviet memorial, deffo wanna go there!! im only there for a short time, most of which will be boozing but would like to see as much as poss.

trout: yeah went riga at end of october, was absolutly amazing, we had an ace time. great people, cheap beer and food, and some crazy bars!!! where were your fave places? we stayed near the train station (that origo place) and used to just go up the old town most nights and mix with the lovely locals.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    oh forgot about the soviet memorial, deffo wanna go there!! im only there for a short time, most of which will be boozing but would like to see as much as poss.

trout: yeah went riga at end of october, was absolutly amazing, we had an ace time. great people, cheap beer and food, and some crazy bars!!! where were your fave places? we stayed near the train station (that origo place) and used to just go up the old town most nights and mix with the lovely locals.
    I went a few years back... it was great. (But not that cheap.)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am going with a History trip in March... looks mucho fun!
  • Options
    I was in berlin last weekend for a tour marking 60 years since end of the war but also got the evenings off to ourselves. We saw all the sites mentioned above plus check point charlie, the prison where the people who plotted to kill Hitler were hung, a concentration camp, the olympic stadium and a british war grave cemetry. Had an awesome weekend, although it was really really cold out there so take plenty of warm clothes! The city is great place to go out, there are loads of bars and prices aren't too bad. Also, the german christmas markets will be open soon - unfortunately they were still being set up whilst we were there which was ironic when had we been home in birmingham we could have gone to the frankfurt christmas market!!

But, yep, Berlin is worth a visit! Have fun x
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    Well after my little jaunt to Latvia recently me and a couple of mates have got the city bug.

My mate has booked us Berlin through his work, staff offer. £37 for flight and staying at the 5* hilton, so no complaints there!!

so whats the costs like in berlin? i presume not very cheap?

also what sights do people recommend in between our drinking? obviously, the wall, the gates, the gestapo HQ. anything else?

A bunch of people I know is booked to go next week but their fares were more like £150 .. even onthe budget airlines it was coming up as expensive.
  • Options
    yeah we've had a couple of other people wanting to come but cant find it cheap, my mate booked a couple of us through his work (works for a travel agent thingy) it was a staff special offer.
  • Options
    The pound is apparently very strong against the Euro at the moment so it would be cheaper than ever when you are there. It was the old Deutschmark when I went.