Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blair Force One

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,17129-1881672,00.html

Is it me or does anyone else this it's a joke that we're supposed to be one of the richest and most powerful countries in the world and we expect our nation's leader to catch the same planes we do?

Surely his time is very limited and the number of things he has to tend to are wide ranging and vast. Multi-million pound companies use private jets, why not multi trillion pound countries.

Does something like this just show what small thinkers the British are these days??

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Why should he have his own fucking plane? That only suggest he is NOT one of us at all.

Plus, why does Livingstone use the underground? Can't he have a helicopter?
  • Options
    Livingstone uses Black cabs at the expense of London council taxpayers actually. He catches the Tube when it suits his media whoring.

And no, we don't want need a prime ministerial jet. He spends too much time larging it up abroad anyway.
  • Options
    It seems to me that it would be a good thing to have your government have to use the same means of transportation as the rest of the country. Maybe if Bush and his Cronies didnt take copters and planes every where they went, they would have a bit more insight into how overcrowded the streets and roads in america have become. Hell, maybe he would even advocate some public transportation as a result. (JK, what we really need are more 8 lane highways)
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Why should he have his own fucking plane? That only suggest he is NOT one of us at all.

He isn't one of us, he's leader of a nation of over 60 Million people with a GDP of over $1.7 Trillion

I'd therefore say any world leader's time is far more valuable and likely to have an effect on more people's live then yours or my time and thus should be provided with the tools needed to get the job done in the most efficient manner possible.

Also for safety reason any world leader is more likely to be a target of attack and is it therefore right to put the public on a commerical flight at added risk from a possible attack that is after that one individual person?
  • Options
    Scruffy wrote:
    It seems to me that it would be a good thing to have your government have to use the same means of transportation as the rest of the country. Maybe if Bush and his Cronies didnt take copters and planes every where they went, they would have a bit more insight into how overcrowded the streets and roads in america have become. Hell, maybe he would even advocate some public transportation as a result. (JK, what we really need are more 8 lane highways)

HEY MORGAN! Glad you joined on! :thumb:
  • Options
    Hey Matt, Good to be here.

Diamond, thats a good point. I do think that their time is more important than mine or yours, or ever Rage junkies. But you have to admit, if they lead a lifestyle totally in disconnect with the average joes, they probably wont have the insight needed to make decisions in our best interest.
  • Options
    Ah you'se must be mates.

It's an American invasion I tell you...worse than Iraq ;)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ah you'se must be mates.

It's an American invasion I tell you...worse than Iraq ;)
    :lol: hahahaha yup, Morgan is one of my best buddies. Pluss he's one of the only people I've met who stays consistantly farther to the left than myself. He'll fit right in.
  • Options
    What about the hold? That's seperate from other people.
  • Options
    pointless waste of taxpayers money imo
  • Options
    I'm the leader of my house, can I have a helicopter and a Jaguar too?

He can fly with the rest of us, on EasyJet, the thieving little cunt. And if he gets shot, well, all the better.

But oh noes, he's important.
  • Options
    Scruffy wrote:
    Hey Matt, Good to be here.

Diamond, thats a good point. I do think that their time is more important than mine or yours, or ever Rage junkies. But you have to admit, if they lead a lifestyle totally in disconnect with the average joes, they probably wont have the insight needed to make decisions in our best interest.

They have a bunch of Kids including a toddler .. so if anything is going to give them a dose of normality I think their kids will.
  • Options
    Point is that Blair isn't a CEO, he's a PM.

Enough of my money is pissed away already giving him armed guards, let alone pissing even more of my money away so that bent twat can swan it around in five-star comfort.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    And no, we don't want need a prime ministerial jet. He spends too much time larging it up abroad anyway.

I think he spends altogether too much time in government actually, if a private jet for him will mean we see less of him its a small price to pay.
  • Options
    george bush has more need for a heli or a plane ..the US is a lot bigger than the UK ... i thought this was a joke when i first saw it, at least now tony can get from london to manchester in half an hour instead of an hour and a half. :cool:
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    george bush has more need for a heli or a plane ..the US is a lot bigger than the UK ... i thought this was a joke when i first saw it, at least now tony can get from london to manchester in half an hour instead of an hour and a half. :cool:

Quite true, America is huge and guess therefore it needs a long range plane - although even the President doesn't need a 747 sized plane.

It's not so much the travel time but more the checkin time required for commerical services that would hold people up more.

I think also a PM that can get to places as you say much quicker would have more opportunity to meet more of the people in the country, not just those in London. And a small private jet can land in more rural airfields compared to large jets.

I think the issue should be more about Time and not money .. anyone that argues only the money side of things I think has a very narrow view of the world. Money can be be replaced, earned back, borrowed back, ...time can never be replaced.

If such a service costed £1 Million a year to run that's less then 2p per person in the country. If it helped him meet a world leader in a far away place and avoid a single terrorist attack or another war then it's more then paid for iteself many times over, in both money and people's lives.
  • Options
    DiamonGeezer - From what i've been reading if it goes ahead the governement will opt for a long hauler, either A330, A340 or if Blairs buddy bush starts pushing him to boeing... the 777. There will be hell up if they go 777, and I don't think they would seeing as though BAE Systems own part of Airbus. Also RR make the engines for the Airbuses, and currently only General Electric make the engines for the 777-LR.

It does seem a matter of 'look at me' though, as there are rumours the new A380 is being considered.... which is ridiculous! And he would get slated for wasting cash.

In all honesty an A319LR would do the job at a reasonable price. Remember they arn't filling it with holiday makers and tons of baggage! The current version which would be offered would seat around 40 in luxury, and have the range to get from London to New York with ease. But it is a small aircraft.... will it do his image good? No...

So expect Either a long hauler... and maybe a business jet for european visits.

Also, the Royal family have said they would use the aircraft on visits around the world, after the Prime Minister of course...
  • Options
    If it helped him meet a world leader in a far away place and avoid a single terrorist attack or another war.
    :confused: What scenario are you thinking of?
  • Options
    Personally I think a small jet that can hold 20 people or so would be more then enough

An A380 would be overkill - I can't ever see that happening at $150,000,000 per plane.

Of course for show he'd have to buy as many British Components as Possible, and the Engines would defo have to be Rolls Royce

The Airbus A319CJ would seem to be a good choice of seats vs range though for those long trips.
  • Options
    This is turning into a thread for planespotters.

He doesn't need a plane. Whilst I accept it could be good because it would increase his chances of being tragically killed in a plane crash, I don't think that justifies the cost.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    This is turning into a thread for planespotters.

Valid points though mate...

Although the A319CJ fits the bill, can you imagine the Prime Minister stepping off in another country in a 'baby' aircraft whilst Bush Steps off the mighty 747. Not going to happen, so expect an A330 or larger if it ever happens...

In all honesty if it ever does happen, it is some time away. The press will rain down on Blair for this... taxpayers money... again?
  • Options
    Given how much money Blair and his cabinet spend on scheduled flights, perhaps buying a plane would not be such a waste of money in the long term...

Hell, they could share it with the Royals and share the bill :D
  • Options
    avoid a single terrorist attack or another war

*splutter*
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bad seed wrote:
    :lol:

Yeah. Stuff him in there.
  • Options
    If such a service costed £1 Million a year to run that's less then 2p per person in the country.

Would I get a go in it?

No?

Why should I pay for it then?
    If it helped him...avoid a single terrorist attack

I'd cry. I'd love to see him get some terminal punishment for his war crimes.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Hell, they could share it with the Royals and share the bill :D

A joke I hope! ;)
  • Options
    Diamond: About what you said about his kids being his link to Normalcy.
    No offense to anyone in the upper pay brackets, but hes a rich, rich man. Day care costs more than college where I come from, and maybe you guys on the other side of this so called 'Atlantic Ocean' have something to help parents raise kids, but my guess is he has a staff of some of the best trained nannies and wet nurses in the world. I say we give him a yearly budget to raise the kids on!

Sorry for the digression.

Hell, Lets just stap his ass in a Mig, and let him pilot the damn thing him self.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:

:lol: oh yes, I can just picture him sitting on peoples luggage munching on a cheese butty..... *is giggling at her own sad imagination*
  • Options
    If it helped him meet a world leader in a far away place and avoid a single terrorist attack or another war then it's more then paid for iteself many times over, in both money and people's lives.

eh you're really listening to this anti-terroism propaganda aint you :crazyeyes
  • Options
    eh you're really listening to this anti-terroism propaganda aint you :crazyeyes

And believing it.

Scary scary :nervous: