Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being polite - why so hard?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it such a crime to be polite these days, especially for work-'mates'? and even friends???

I have always assumed that being polite is the way to go in modern life, but I don't know why I bother.

I say "Hi" to most people, and sometimes get a response. However, if I say "Bye" at the end of the day (at work for example) I always get blanked.

I am trying to hard and worrying for nothing? :(

Comments

• Options
    Not everyone are polite unfortunately. The only thing you can do is to be polite yourself.

Regarding them blanking you, maybe they didn't hear you. Or they could be asses you know.
  • Options
    Old thread on this subject. Pretty much the same stuff.
  • Options
    Being polite is boring and takes too much effort, honestly besides some sappy feel good bullshit, what real satisfaction do you get out of being kind. Having said that, random people always get a hello, a thank you, an open door from me while my family and friends get the fuck off attitude.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Most of the people I know are polite. Even my 'chav' mates.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    sughew wrote:
    Why is it such a crime to be polite these days, especially for work-'mates'? and even friends???

I have always assumed that being polite is the way to go in modern life, but I don't know why I bother.

I say "Hi" to most people, and sometimes get a response. However, if I say "Bye" at the end of the day (at work for example) I always get blanked.

I am trying to hard and worrying for nothing? :(
    maybe they don't like you? or you're too quiet when you say it? do you talk to them throughout the day? because if you don't have friendly chatting then when it comes to saying bye they might not think they need to bother.
  • Options
    There's a fella in my work who looks the spit of st. james formc arry on films an he always shouts (literally) "Hi Di Hi Campus!"

Don't you mean Sid James?

I wasn't aware he'd been canonised.
  • Options
    Sorry, thankyou for correcting me.

Ah, you can always count on me.
  • Options
    If you mumble it you won't get blanked.

Most people are polite and will say hi2u and bi2u.

I suspect you're not being clear if they don't respond. Or you are expecting everyone to run up and hug you, and they won't.
  • Options
    Old thread on this subject. Pretty much the same stuff.
    One of my own threads too - thank you, it's nice to know people find some of them helpful. :) As for this thread, I reckon few people these days show much politeness. When I started work, I always said hello to everyone at the start and goodbye to them at the end. Few bothered to say anything much in reply. I often got the idea they couldn't give a fuck. And it wasn't just me. I observed when others were saying hello to each other, much the same happened.