Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ali G to face legal action over 'racism'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
---

Comments

• Options
    :lol:

he's great!
  • Options
    Watch out...the PC brigade are back
  • Options
    In all honesty, you could have predicted that. Yeah he is funny, but stuff like that always causes an outrage somewhere.
  • Options
    Little Britain will be the next to go...

Seriously, I have asian, black, gay friends, and they think all this PC is rubbish, I can't understand why the hell we're putting up with it, can someone please tell me?
  • Options
    Borat is a fucking legend...some of the shit he says is unbelievably funny.
  • Options
    iiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • Options
    some people just cant take a joke.
  • Options
    First off any charges he might face have nothing to do with racism... nor I see anywhere in the article any reference to racism. But anyway...

Yes, it is all a bit of a joke and a harmless laugh, but at the end of the day some people don't like being stereotyped. Remember that Kazakhstan is a real country.

If it transpired there was a TV programme somewhere in Asia where a man pretended to be British and Britain was presented as a nation of, say, lowlife uncultured pissheads, I'm sure there'd be no shortage of people- some from this very board- to scream murder.

I don't think he should be prosecuted at all of course, but he should perhaps now drop the character- or at least change him so he comes from an imaginary country, which is what he should've done in the first place. I doubt many people could tell for sure if there was such thing as Kazakhstan anyway. He could have just made up a nation ending in 'hstan' like they do in films, and everyone's happy.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

If it transpired there was a TV programme somewhere in Asia where a man pretended to be British and Britain was presented as a nation of, say, lowlife uncultured pissheads, I'm sure there'd be no shortage of people- some from this very board- to scream murder.

Family guy portrayed the British as extremely boring, ugly people with bad teeth. I dont see anyone crying over it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The truth hurts.
  • Options
    oh fuck we're not allowed to show other countries in a derogatory manner? :nervous:
    some one had better tell the boys in Hollywood to stop casting Brits in all the super-villain roles.

Seriously though, you're all alcoholics with bad teeth.

...ok, now it's your turn.
  • Options
    We're all alcoholics with bad teeth.
  • Options
    Oh right, you're all cheeseburger munching, middle east invading, self-obesseive morons. And you'll drive 100 yards if there's a 8 lane freeway to get you there.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Oh right, you're all cheeseburger munching, middle east invading, self-obesseive morons. And you'll drive 100 yards if there's a 8 lane freeway to get you there.
    :lol: :thumb:

"Yards" you say? I thought you boys used that ridiculous metric system these days. A measurement system that uses base-ten; I mean honestly who in their right mind thought that one up? ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    TITLE SUCKS!

He is not Ali G. He is Sasha.

Also, Borat is about 100000x funnier.

Edit: And ... you CAN just take a woman as your wife by force in some countries... such as Kazakhstan.
  • Options
    When the French are portrayed as drunks with garlic around their neck... Nobody cares.
  • Options
    solid_L wrote:
    Watch out...the PC brigade are back

are they like the fire brigade?
  • Options
    So, it's not about Ali G and there no racism mentioned.

Great thread Slippy :yeees:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If it transpired there was a TV programme somewhere in Asia where a man pretended to be British and Britain was presented as a nation of, say, lowlife uncultured pissheads.

We make loads of shows like that ourselves, Booze Britain to name just one.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    First off any charges he might face have nothing to do with racism... nor I see anywhere in the article any reference to racism. But anyway...

Yes, it is all a bit of a joke and a harmless laugh, but at the end of the day some people don't like being stereotyped. Remember that Kazakhstan is a real country.

I don't think he should be prosecuted at all of course, but he should perhaps now drop the character- or at least change him so he comes from an imaginary country, which is what he should've done in the first place. I doubt many people could tell for sure if there was such thing as Kazakhstan anyway. He could have just made up a nation ending in 'hstan' like they do in films, and everyone's happy.

in america we're all quirky guys in tweed, or villians with moustaches

do i care? NOPE its a joke

some chinese people i know at my uni, when they came here, theythought we all met peopel and slept withthem the 1st night and fell in love like hollywood portrays the west - but nope

satire is good :thumb:
  • Options
    Sure, and there is nothing wrong with laughing at yourselves. All I'm saying is that some people don't take kindly to be stereotyped by others.

For what's worth I don't think Cohen was pushing it that far... there's worse things to say about people than to suggest they like a drink.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Sure, and there is nothing wrong with laughing at yourselves. All I'm saying is that some people don't take kindly to be stereotyped by others.

and as ive said previously theres no such thing as a right to not be offended - as much as some groups may claim
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    For what's worth I don't think Cohen was pushing it that far... there's worse things to say about people than to suggest they like a drink.

theres far worse jokes he's done

http://www.webgeordie.co.uk/borat/usa_winetasting.htm being one - bloody hilarious though

his mtv performance is very mild indeed, the american celebs seemed to take him rather seriously, its part of the joke though
  • Options
    To a degree... if someone said in a comedy programme that all Jews were tight-fisted big-nosed greedy characters, or that all blacks are good for playing basketball and rapping, don't you think they would have a right to be offended?
  • Options
    I think the problem is more that he said the number one pastime in Kazakhstan is rape.

I wonder why the country's government might be a bit narked by that...

I don't think he should be prosecuted, I don't think he will be prosecuted, and it's another bollocks thread from Born Stupid.
  • Options
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/kz.html

Ooh, look at all the pointless information! Pretty interesting, if useless.

I just remember that sketch he did in the US, where he asked the Texan ranch guy if they could hunt Jews as well as Animals... and he said "Unfortunatley, no!" Hmm... those damn Yanks... bearing in mind Sasha is a Jew as well!
  • Options
    Borat rules.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    or that all blacks are good for playing basketball and rapping, don't you think they would have a right to be offended?

Surely he's already done that with Ali G...

That said I agree with your earlier point he could have made up a country. I'm pretty sure half the population are probably unaware its a real place, anyway...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I'm pretty sure half the population are probably unaware its a real place, anyway...

Sadly so... sadly so. It's a damn cool place too, from the looks of things.
  • Options
    I think I could probably forgive Sasha Baren-Cohen more if he was actually funny.

He hasn't been funny since he was on the 11 o'clock show.